Newly trained, looking for work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailed-it

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this but I love all the different opinions people give/get so was hoping maybe some people could help advise me as well! I'm 20 years old and just finished doing a Nail tech certification course. I live in a very small city on Vancouver island, BC. There is not many places here looking to hire new technicians at the moment. I tried working out of my house for a little bit but could not get the amount of clients I need, along with medical and financial restrictions, I am needing to rethink some things. So I am now starting to look for a job in a salon but am finding they all want more experience, am not sure how to get the experience if I can't get hired anywhere? So I was thinking should I try maybe asking If I could do an apprenticeship with them? I still need to improve on many things so I'm hoping that someone would be open to this, I love doing nails and don't want to stop anytime soon. So does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?
Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Highly highly recommend getting some experience by doing this. I found it hard to find a job fresh out of college. I started an internship and was so nervous doing anything I had no confidence. Fast forward a few months and I was flying it. I was confident in my treatments and dealing with clients. I finished it and found a job in a salon and now I'm starting my own business on the side. I worked for nothing for 9months but its the best thing I ever did. If you can't afford to work for nothing, try to get a part time job somewhere else (store,restaurant etc) and see if you can get some work experience in a salon for the other days.

Thanks I will have to try that! It would be great to get more confident at everything, Hopefully it works out :)

I would love to hear other peoples stories if they have experience with this as well :)

Latest posts

Back