News pages on your website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
This might be an odd one.

If you have a website and a "news" page or something similar, how often do you update it and what do you update it with?

I have one on my website and so far I've added a link to my Facebook page and another entry that I will soon be offering Shellac. Now I'm not sure what else I should be putting on there, or if anyone actually reads it. After all my statistics show my home page and prices page are the most looked at ;)

Please give me some ideas?

I assume I'm the only person that has a "latest news" section then lol

I have a news page, which I try to update four times a year (seasonally), although I haven't updated mine since the beginning of summer! I'm about to put the launch of GELeration on there & then the new Decleor Madagascan Escape body massage on there. I send an e-mail newsletter to my existing clients & the online newspage is an extended version of that, so I put a link in the e-mail newsletter that takes them to the related pages on my website for more information, thereby keeping the newsletter brief & increasing the amount of traffic to my website.

Id you DO commit to having a news page- make sure you do update it, nothing ages a website more than months old irrelevant "news".

Apart from good news stories- for many companies its just another excuse for "sales" type information- such as special offers, new products etc. Which is exactly what it should be for.

Don't forget that most people aren't as interested in your business as you are- i've read "news" pages on business websites that announce that they've bought a new car...which is cringe-worthy as far as im concerned. :)

Id you DO commit to having a news page- make sure you do update it, nothing ages a website more than months old irrelevant "news".

Apart from good news stories- for many companies its just another excuse for "sales" type information- such as special offers, new products etc. Which is exactly what it should be for.

Don't forget that most people aren't as interested in your business as you are- i've read "news" pages on business websites that announce that they've bought a new car...which is cringe-worthy as far as im concerned. :)

Actually, that's rather a cool idea - dropping the "news" page from the website's navigation if the news is older than a pre-set value (e.g. a month or two)... so that the website never shows a news page with geriatric news on it...

Or perhaps the CMS could even e-mail you to pester you to write a news story if you haven't done so within the last month or two ;)

OR - you could set it with an expiry date.

If you've got a special offer that runs out on a certain date, or a news story you don't want to share ad infinitem you could set a date for it to be deleted. That way you wont be stuck with old news on the site OR (importantly) you wont have people insisting you honour a special offer thats expired.

OR - you could set it with an expiry date.

If you've got a special offer that runs out on a certain date, or a news story you don't want to share ad infinitem you could set a date for it to be deleted. That way you wont be stuck with old news on the site OR (importantly) you wont have people insisting you honour a special offer thats expired.

Carl, you are a genius! Am loving that idea for news with an expiry date; already got special offers coded to work that way a few months ago ;)

Another idea: show your latest tweet on a website from your twitter account. This latest tweet could fill the role of the News section. Twitter is convenient mainly because it's simple to write a short "article" (in 140 chars or less)!

Latest posts

Back