Night shifts - any advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oatridge2006

Reaction score
So....I have just started a night shift job within care, which I have always lived working in! It's only 6 every 4 weeks

Just wondering if people have any tips on what they do around eating and sleeping?

If your coming off shift with no more night to follow, do you stay awake?
Also how do you try to stick to normal eating habits? I find at the moment I am feeling sick a lot and not wanting to eat

Hello , I work shifts and love nights

I eat a normal meal around 6pm before work then have a sandwich around 3am
I always eat cereal before bed at 7am other wise I wake up with hunger ( I always sleep better if you have breakfast before bed )

If I have another night shift to do I sleep as long as possible into the day ( my body clock always gets me up at 1230 so I don't sleep much )

If it's my last shift going into a day off I make sure I'm up around 11-1130 then you don't waste your first rest day

If you sleep in to long in the day you end up being wide awake I'm the middle
Of the night on your days off

With regards to feeling sick I found I got this when I was eating too much in the night so now I stick with the sandwiches
Drink lots of water and try to stay away from energy drinks

Hope this helps 😊

Hiya, I work 3 nights in a row 9-7am. When I first started I couldn't bring myself to eat at night so barely ate anything! 3 years later I eat a sand which 2 packs of crisps, choc bar, maybe an apple. I eat my last thing at 4.30am and i go straight to bed at 7.30am. On my last night I go to bed as usual at 7.30am n get up between 11.30 and 2, and get up n do something before I get tired again. I'm usually asleep by 10pm and will sleep well! You will find your own pattern if it doesn't work change what you do.

I work tues weds and sat or Sunday nights .
I always have a nap after work from 9.30- 1.30 and that keeps me going until the evening so I can have a life !
On the weekend shift I get home and sleep 8.30 until 1.30ish .
I feel I spend most of my week sleeping lol .
I work in a large care home nights only and I find you never get a break bells ringing ect ..
As for eating I have a meal before work I start at 8pm so eat 5 with kids then I have toast at work around 5am .
I hope you enjoy your new job but don't deprive yourself of sleep if you don't need to Xxxx

Do any of you find yourself thinking of your bed multiple times through out the night from around 2am ? I'm dreadful the worst part of my job is making sure everyone is comfy and tucked in nicely .
I just want to jump in with them x

Hiya, I work as bank and work around 4 night shifts a week, they are 12.5 hours long from 8pm-8.30am. At first I found it really hard to juggle eating as there is no set breaks. It maybe hard at first as your body will need to adjust so I would advise coffee is a must !!

Try and make something easy up. If you eat healthy make something like chicken pasta and keep it in the fridge ready to eat. Try and get smacks also e.g. Fruit, crisps.

You have to try and think of it as a day shift and when you would normally eat, so if you have time try and eat half way through your shift, mine would be like 2am as that's half way through my shift and then snack inbetween.

My fiancé works nights as a courier, 5 nights (rarely 6 to cover holidays) a week. Starts at 11pm and comes back around 9am. When he gets in He goes straight to the fridge for a drink and snack (norm a hot crossed bun or breakfast bar) then up to bed. Wakes at 5pm, he normally snacks on crisps or a couple of biscuits and we have dinner at anywhere between 6-8pm.
His days off are Saturday night and the other is random and normally won't know until the night before or sometimes that day which 2nd day he has off in the week. When he comes home from the Friday night shift he has a 2 hour sleep and then stays up until he goes to bed around 11pm with me. He has a big catch up of sleep on the Sunday, sometimes until 2pm as he's working that night as well. The weekends are the only days he has 2 meals a day as he doesn't eat while working.

My fiancé works nights as a courier, 5 nights (rarely 6 to cover holidays) a week. Starts at 11pm and comes back around 9am. When he gets in He goes straight to the fridge for a drink and snack (norm a hot crossed bun or breakfast bar) then up to bed. Wakes at 5pm, he normally snacks on crisps or a couple of biscuits and we have dinner at anywhere between 6-8pm.
His days off are Saturday night and the other is random and normally won't know until the night before or sometimes that day which 2nd day he has off in the week. When he comes home from the Friday night shift he has a 2 hour sleep and then stays up until he goes to bed around 11pm with me. He has a big catch up of sleep on the Sunday, sometimes until 2pm as he's working that night as well. The weekends are the only days he has 2 meals a day as he doesn't eat while working.

That must be hard for you as well x

Do any of you find yourself thinking of your bed multiple times through out the night from around 2am ? I'm dreadful the worst part of my job is making sure everyone is comfy and tucked in nicely .
I just want to jump in with them x

Haha yes! After break at 2am I'm like mmmm bed! Tonight went so fast though. I looked at my watch for the first time since break and it was 3.50! I thought it was only 3ish!

Some people I work with literally do their day backwards so when they get in they have a glass of wine n a cooked dinner! Not for me...

That must be hard for you as well x

Yes it is hard especially as I'm disabled now and don't live in a very safe area. But I am used to it now, and my fiancé is happy in his job so that's a big relief.
My mum used to do night shift and couldn't sleep for hours when she got in, so had to unwind then go to bed. I'm happy my partner doesn't have that lol!

Thank you all for your help :)
I actually had dinner before I went, then a yoghurt apple and herbalife bar during the night! I found that a lot nicer as a few other nights I had taken food in with me as a dinner!
Worst part now is I don't get phone signal so no looking at salon geek for ages! Damn 😉

Thank you all for your help :)
I actually had dinner before I went, then a yoghurt apple and herbalife bar during the night! I found that a lot nicer as a few other nights I had taken food in with me as a dinner!
Worst part now is I don't get phone signal so no looking at salon geek for ages! Damn 😉

Oh god if hate not to have salon geek on a night shift ! I always look to see who is up so I don't feel like I'm the only one lol I'm so sad ! Xx

I just eat and rub my eyes on my break! Salon geek is very bad, I should be asleep now but been on here for a while, easily distracted! But it's my last night of the week tonight so I'm never too bothered if I don't get enough sleep.

I just eat and rub my eyes on my break! Salon geek is very bad, I should be asleep now but been on here for a while, easily distracted! But it's my last night of the week tonight so I'm never too bothered if I don't get enough sleep.

You lucky it's my first night of three tonight ! X

You lucky it's my first night of three tonight ! X

Aw! I have the best nights, my week starts on a Wednesday, sometimes I do 8-3 Wednesday nights so it sorta sets me up for a decent sleep pattern. But not this week :) will you have a nap today? I was speaking to someone Sunday night and she said she doesn't sleep the day before?! The day before I'm very lazy n try sleep as much as physically possible (2 hours ish) or I may just be wasting a day?!

I'm awake all day today as I have chasten but then I'm in bed all day tomorrow 9-6 ! So I hope it rains tomorrow lol x

Don't you just love climbing into bed in the morning on a groggy day and everyone else is getting ready for work :)

Don't you just love climbing into bed in the morning on a groggy day and everyone else is getting ready for work :)

Love this feeling because all your aches disappear !
I have 8 hours and counting until I am reunited with my bed !x

Very true! I have 6 hours to go, I've broken 4 nails in 3 nights, can't wait to sort them out and where normal clothes other than pjays and work wear!

I know how you feel my back is aching tonight and I have a whole basket if ironing now !
At least my time should go quickly my bed is popping in my head every 10 mins now x

Latest posts

Back