Nightmare customer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankosmythe

Reaction score
4 weeks ago I fitted a full head of tiny tips creating a balayage effect. It looked gorgeous. I took before during and after photos.,I always take photos of my sections with the fittings in situ so I can prove they were fitted neatly and correctly. After 2 weeks I visited this lady and was horrified! Thick greasy hair, 5 fallen out but worst of all they had started matting!
I told her off for not looking after them but kind of got the impression she blamed my fitting. I removed 30.. yes 30!! All matted and refused to put them back in. I said I’d revisit 2 weeks later to see if she was managing them. I’ve got the visit tomorrow and feel sick with worry as I know I’ll find the same! I write out my findings in their records every time I visit so the last one was lengthy! I never charged her for the last visit and not charging tomorrow either but I can’t keep visiting for an hour to hour n half sorting out her mess. Any advice for tomorrow? I know it’ll be unkept and greasy and propbably need more removing but just don’t know what to say?! She’s a big rowdy family all on Facebook who could ruin me with negative comments if they choose to!

This will be the problem-why are you not charging when she is in the wrong? If anything it makes it look like you owe her something or it’s your mistake. Maybe if you charged a double maintenance because it takes so long she would be taking care of them

This will be the problem-why are you not charging when she is in the wrong? If anything it makes it look like you owe her something or it’s your mistake. Maybe if you charged a double maintenance because it takes so long she would be taking care of them
Im terrible with taking money from people. I know my work is good but i never feel like im worth what i charge. Im uncomfortable around money amd charging people but dont know why!! Its worrying about bad press on social media. One bad post can ruin you. I genuinely feel sick with worry going back tomorrow. Ive started being very selective in who i fit now!

Im terrible with taking money from people. I know my work is good but i never feel like im worth what i charge. Im uncomfortable around money amd charging people but dont know why!! Its worrying about bad press on social media. One bad post can ruin you. I genuinely feel sick with worry going back tomorrow. Ive started being very selective in who i fit now!

No, one crappy review won’t ruin you so put that thought aside.
Social media has been around a few years now and people are beginning to wise up to reading between the lines when reading reviews. When reviews are either all 5* or especially damning, you start to wonder whether they’re telling the truth.
I know that some companies have started to send freebies to customers in return for a 5 star review (we’ve had them contacting geeks to post on here waxing lyrical about fantastic training or amazing hair extensions in return for a free gift. :rolleyes: )

I agree with @EssexFreelance that you shouldn’t be working for free as it implies you think you’re at fault in some way.
If they want you to spend an hour sorting them out, you need to charge an hourly rate and stay firm. You won’t build a successful business until you start to believe that you’re worth it. Maybe invest in some assertiveness classes to help you overcome your anxiety around charging?

No, one crappy review won’t ruin you so put that thought aside.
Social media has been around a few years now and people are beginning to wise up to reading between the lines when reading reviews. When reviews are either all 5* or especially damning, you start to wonder whether they’re telling the truth.
I know that some companies have started to send freebies to customers in return for a 5 star review (we’ve had them contacting geeks to post on here waxing lyrical about fantastic training or amazing hair extensions in return for a free gift. :rolleyes: )

I agree with @EssexFreelance that you shouldn’t be working for free as it implies you think you’re at fault in some way.
If they want you to spend an hour sorting them out, you need to charge an hourly rate and stay firm. You won’t build a successful business until you start to believe that you’re worth it. Maybe invest in some assertiveness classes to help you overcome your anxiety around charging?

As I’ve never had it before I did wonder if I was at fault but I just can’t be. If she looked after them they wouldn’t be matted after two weeks I’m guessing. Thanks for your advice peeps. I guess I need to harden up and be more selective x

It’s not the reviews it’s how you handle it that makes a difference. If I see a bad review then I look at how the company reply’s which makes my mind up

It’s not the reviews it’s how you handle it that makes a difference. If I see a bad review then I look at how the company reply’s which makes my mind up
Totally agree! I often see unprofessional replies! I arranged to go on a four week check (already checked at two weeks) both free of charge. I turned up and she wasn’t even there!! I’ve now taken everyone’s advice and put a maintenance charge on my Facebook page. I’ve typed out more terms and conditions which includes my prices and their upkeep charges. Haven’t heard back from this woman since! Though still getting messages at 3 months asking if I can pop loose ones back in. When I tell them there’ll be a charge they reply with ok I’ll just wait until they need refitting!

Totally agree.

I hate customers like this, it always brings me down and I feel like I’m not good enough, even though I know I fitted correctly. I’ve got to the point where I’m not going back to anybody’s house now free of charge, if it was my fitting that was the problem then EVERYONES hair would need re-doing.

Latest posts

Back