nipping off acrylic!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltongue

Reaction score
Ok I just want to know who nips off any lifted acrylic when you rebalance? I know you are no ment to but I know people do for quickness as I've had it done in a salon myself. Does it really make much difference?

ltongue said:
Ok I just want to know who nips off any lifted acrylic when you rebalance? I know you are no ment to but I know people do for quickness as I've had it done in a salon myself. Does it really make much difference?
This usually makes the lifting go even further down the product and is counterproductive and as far as I have seen it doesnt make it any quicker at all. If the PREP and product application is done properly then there shouldnt be enough lifting to be able to get underneath to be nipped off.

not only does this make more work,and causes the product to lift even further but it also actually causes stress to the nail plate,(not good) i was taught at college (many moons ago) to nip of the lifted product, but since learnt better.

nailsbydesign said:
If the PREP and product application is done properly then there shouldnt be enough lifting to be able to get underneath to be nipped off.

well said. :biggrin:

agree with all the above..i was originally taught to nip,but it really is a damaging 'shortcut' to take. not only are you not addressing lifting issues but the ledge of product left leaves fill lines..better to do things properly..this WILL save you time and your clients enhancements will always look like new.

I generally try not to nip..but lets face it girls...if your client has a nasty lift area try to use a pair of 1/4 inch sharp acrylic nippers and just nip a tiny bit at a time .good luck!

Tracie T said:
I generally try not to nip..but lets face it girls...if your client has a nasty lift area try to use a pair of 1/4 inch sharp acrylic nippers and just nip a tiny bit at a time .good luck!

NO Tracie sorry but we don't want to face it.!....have you read the other replies?...
Nipping is counter productive...causes us more work!!!
It is potentially damaging to the nail plate!!!!
and it just plain doesn't work!
Not to mention the majority of tech's and clients are not wearing any eye protection...and that little bit of product you have just nipped off can fly at some speed and land in your eye!!!

Prevention is the best cure...but if there is lifting you have to use the proper methods of filing from behind the lift to ensure you get a proper seal to the nail before applying any more product.
Much safer for everyone.

Tracie T said:
i wouldnt dream of it..my way of working is to wrap any that have major lift (which is rare) in tin foil and continue working on the rest..when done i return to any i am soaking off and do a new overlay or sculpt..no extra time taken and the client is recieving quality work.;)

ltongue said:

i dont do it but my old tech did - it can greate more lifting by doing this - it can cause more damage to the nailplate as it is just like picking acrylic off. much safer to file behind the lift xx

Latest posts

Back