no more cheques! need a cheap card set up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estherlou

Reaction score
I currently don't take cards in the salon, and the girls in the hairdressers that i rent from don't either, problem is people just don't walk with cash these days and i have to say i'm getting fed up of cheques, i do have a day off in the week but have three kids to contend with so don't brave the bank, i do deposit monies through the cash point at night after i close but this adds 2 days onto cheque clearing time:irked:
I don't earn a fortune and i'm finding over half of my treatments are paid for by cheques.
Can anyone advise on a cheap card system to use, i know i'm gonna get charged but can't deal with all the bank trips anymore. also i don't have a landline phone set up to the salon is this a problem?:rolleyes:

oh you can tell my head is full of cold, didn't think to do a search, off to do one now, thanks for your reply T x

Hi Estherlou. This is a problem that is becoming common place but once you do get a card payment facility you will see your business and product sales grow. Silvergum have mobile terminals and have an offer at the moment of a minimum contract of only 3 months so you can try it over the party season with out being tied in to a long term commitment. They are in the Services section, other threads (for opinions) as Oey mentioned or here through the link http://www.silvergum.co.uk
Helen

hi I run my salon from home and I have a notice up on the wall stating Sorry but at this present time I no longer accept cheque, credit/debit cards. when people ring me to book an appointment I just inform them that at present I do not accept cheque, credit/debit card, cash only. I have only had acouple of people ask me why. I have told them that a cheque has bounced more than once from clients and I am looking into a credit machine. these clients turn into regular clients that pay cash. I dont see why i should have to pay a bank to sort out my business cheques or why I should have to pay for a credit machine when people can bring cash.at the end of the day the less we have to pay the less we have to put up clients fees for treatment.

Hi Sharon, being able to take card payments has shown to grow business and can make a big difference when selling products or courses of treatments etc. Personally I can't recall the last time I wrote a cheque and am told the banks charge for them now. I'm sorry you have experienced problems.
Helen

hi ya i hada phone call from the federation of small businesses the other day , saying that the co-op are offering so many months free line rental and free business banking for life , maybe try them ,
hth xx

Latest posts

Back