No more statutory sick recovery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisy

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard that from April ,small businesses will no longer be able to recover stat sick payments ?

What???? I hope not!!!! X

It's a slippery slope. It'll be maternity pay next.
It makes me so cross, as people with health issues will be totally unemployable now that SSP reimbursement is withdrawn. It just causes discrimination. People rarely get sick for fun. We all pay our employers NI, so should at least have our little bit of safety net left intact.

I've had a member of staff off sick since October and it would be very hard if I couldn't claim it back. It's not good news for small businesses :sad:
They are introducing a scheme where employers are to help staff return to work but we are expected to fund the treatment!

It's a joke, they are going to make it increasingly difficult to employ people. Unemployment certainly won't decrease. I agree with persionista with the maternity pay.

I think I've had enough being and employer! Employers NI gets you nothing in return I have a member if staff due to go in maternity leave later this year and can see that getting withdrawn!

The whole industry is demotivating with people doing treatments for pennies, and then there is all the rules employers have to follow.

I am not in a position to pay stick pay without re-imbersment.

I think this is the icing on the cake for me :(

Jemima :)

Can they actually do away with maternity pay as this puts women at a significant disadvantage to men when trying to find work? I thought they were working to move away from more sexual discrimination?! Feels like we are going backwards not forwards!!!

Can they actually do away with maternity pay as this puts women at a significant disadvantage to men when trying to find work? I thought they were working to move away from more sexual discrimination?! Feels like we are going backwards not forwards!!!

They're not doing away with it for the employees. At the moment, if an employer pays ssp or SMP to an employee, they are paid back for it via the PAYE system. I suspect they will simply make employers pay these benefits from their own pockets, as if employing people wasn't hard enough.

Hazel eyes they probably could due to the fact that even though its rare, men and women are now both entitled to take "maternity" leave i.e either one can take it, so that will probably be their loophole around the discrimination, even thought it probably will put employers off hiring women due to the fact 9/10 women will take the parental leave.

What a joke!

I've just been reading up on this, have I got it right, if a person is off longer than 4 days, they can claim SSP, from the 6th April employers can no longer claim this back and they will also be liable to fund getting them treated and back to work, this is all under the guise of helping employers with long term sick and repeat offenders!!!!

Our government do very little to help small businesses, there are no incentives!! As you've said next it will be maternity and then they will roll out the pension scheme that large companies are having to introduce for employees.

This will either close down a lot of businesses or for our trade make it impossible to employ and so go down the renting a chair, desk, room route.

They're not doing away with it for the employees. At the moment, if an employer pays ssp or SMP to an employee, they are paid back for it via the PAYE system. I suspect they will simply make employers pay these benefits from their own pockets, as if employing people wasn't hard enough.

Scary for all concerned. Looks like we are moving towards hard times!

Hazel eyes they probably could due to the fact that even though its rare, men and women are now both entitled to take "maternity" leave i.e either one can take it, so that will probably be their loophole around the discrimination, even thought it probably will put employers off hiring women due to the fact 9/10 women will take the parental leave.

What a joke!

Yeah good point. Always a loophole somewhere!

Can you not just put it in somebody's contract that if they take more than xx days off over xx amount of time it will lead to a warning etc..?

Can you not just put it in somebody's contract that if they take more than xx days off over xx amount of time it will lead to a warning etc..?

Ish. You can warn for someone taking lots of seperate sick days, but to be honest, if a stylist broke their leg, it wouldn't really be cricket to just sack them.
That's what ssp was for.

I think I've had enough being and employer! Employers NI gets you nothing in return I have a member if staff due to go in maternity leave later this year and can see that getting withdrawn!

The whole industry is demotivating with people doing treatments for pennies, and then there is all the rules employers have to follow.

I am not in a position to pay stick pay without re-imbersment.

I think this is the icing on the cake for me :(

Sounds just like me!! After the ordeals I've had with staff, there's no way I could afford to pay out At the ssp rate without claiming it back!. Time for a career change :)

Trying to get the sick back to work is not going to be possible when they make employers terrified to take on people with previous health issues in case it bankrupts them! Madness ! As if being in business isn't already hard enough !

This will lead to more discrimination - definitely.

Such a shame all of these things are happening.

If they bring that in as a rule I'm essentially going to have to lie about my health forever. -. - So unfair for people will health conditions who will never get employment.

Im just reafing and can anyone claim ssp back as I had a member of staff off sick for 6 weeks last year and 8 weeks the year before with a bad back I was told I had to pay her sick pay out of my own pocket. Is this true?

Will look forward to hearing your replies?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back