No shows driving me mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meldmoran

Reaction score
Hey
What is everyone's policy with no shows. I have two or three girls that are always at it!! I understand there is genuine reasons and things to happen last minute but sometimes I honestly think people don't care!!!
TIME IS MONEY!!
One time a girl didn't show up but she called the following morning to apologise and say her little boy was sick and had to go to hospital. I really appreciated it. She rebooked and arrived no problem.

What do you say to them when they call to rebook? Do they mention the no show?

You need to mention it and say when they rebook, if they dont show then you won't be able to offer an appointment/be booked when they want one/require a cancellation fee/ start taking deposits or payment up front for repeat offenders. Explain you've been quite lenient but you will need to implement one of the above if it happens again.
I am flexible as I know things happen so on the first one I will say I won't implement a cancellation fee (so they're aware) but then next time I will have to. It hasnt been a big problem for me tho.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

There's one girl in particular that keeps doing it. She has cost me over €150 from continuous no shows and not enough time to get a girl from my cancellation list.
The last time she called to book which was aprox her 10th time I said if she didn't show up or give adequate cancellation time that she would have to pay atleast a non refundable deposit. She was fine with this and swore she would be there and surprise surprise never showed up. I'm always nice polite professional and understanding and this is what you get in return grrrr

There's one girl in particular that keeps doing it. She has cost me over €150 from continuous no shows and not enough time to get a girl from my cancellation list.
The last time she called to book which was aprox her 10th time I said if she didn't show up or give adequate cancellation time that she would have to pay atleast a non refundable deposit. She was fine with this and swore she would be there and surprise surprise never showed up. I'm always nice polite professional and understanding and this is what you get in return grrrr

This client does not value you, the next time she calls tell her you have no availability, or insist that she calls on the day she would like to see you to check you are available.

Take payment in advance for constant cancellers or take a non refundable deposit :)

Pay upfront when booking after the 3rd time

This drives me mad also. I know it happens more around the holidays because people run out of time and people start to get sick and feel under the weather. Last week I has 4 of my loyal clients cancel either because of sickness or they got caught up in another town and couldn't make it. They didn't even try to re book because they know my holiday schedule and knew it was almost impossible lol. I did have one however that I've had issues with in the past. She started coming to me every 2 weeks for about 3 months. Then she was a no show. I messaged her and she said she slept late, she works 3rd so I understood and rebooked her for the next morning per her request. She still was a no show. I messaged her asking of everything was okay and to let me know because I could fill her spot. Nothing in return. This blew my mind bc she was the first that ever done that. I waited a dew days and wrote her a more detailed message asking if it was something going on in the salon ( I work in a hair salon) or if it was something I may have done just to be sure. Still nothing. I made a new business page and her and he daughter started following it. Which was odd to me but whatever. Then she messages me on her daughters Facebook asking for an appt. I figure what ever was going on has passed and gave her another chance. What do you know, she was a no show. I message her again and she says that she told her daughter to ask if I had anything later and i told her I never heard from her and who ever wrote me said 12:30 would be fine and I will see you then. She apologizes and wants me to stay over and work her in. Um heck no. So She rebooked for Monday. If she is a no show again I am going to go off on how inconsiderate it is and how in this business time is money and I have to turn down clients because of her and then she is a now show. I am also going to put into effect a no show policy at the first of the year. If you get 3 strikes you will either pay a $20 upfront fee that goes towards your service or you will pay a cancelation fee of how much your service would have cost. I'm tired of dealing with this and hopefully it will weed out all the bad.

We have had a no show so we contacted her and she said she had a stomach bug and could she re book for her brow wax. So we booked for 2 days time like she asked for... She then unliked us on facebook and didn't show up, the next day she re liked the page!!! In my opinion thats alot of trouble to go to. We did also have a repeat offender for nails. She just didn't show up contacted her she said her son was ill so she re booked for 2 weeks time, seemed a little odd to me at the time but the owner took the booking. We contacted her to remind her of her appointment and no answer or reply... She never showed so we will now don't accept her for appointments. So far these are the only 2 problematic clients we have had. x

I don't rebook no shows. Period.

Obviously if it's an existing client with a legitimate serious reason I am sympathetic but I don't have time for no shows.

Even if you are just building your business don't give repeat offenders too many chances. I understand giving one or two chances but it's not worth it in the end when you're investing so much energy into someone who really doesn't respect your business in the first place.

I am VERY strict with no shows obviously its hard to get canc fees out of someone who has never been to me before but regulars who give less than 24hr hrs notice I charge the full fee even if its their first time they've done it. If its a serious legitimate reason and they've been loyal to me then I let it go. I take my business very seriously and make sure they do to.

I have never had complete no shows only clients that re arrange appts at last minute. If a client is five mins late I text them, if they are ten mins late I ring them and then when they do arrive I only do whatever I can in the time left, I think because I am like this my clients know I am busy and need notice and when they recommend me to friends they tell their friends I am busy so that they also know not to mess me about. I suppose when I look at it I can be a little abrupt but I just need clients to know this is my business and if they don't want there appt then someone else can have their slot!! I definitely wouldn't let someone repeatedly no show and still book them in!!

My hairdresser opened specially on Xmas eve last year for 4 clients. All 4 no showed. This year she's closed.
People are so ignorant sometimes!

Jumping in here for some Advice...

A girl messaged me on a wednesday asking for a certain time on a Friday so I said yes that's fine then she messaged me next day saying she was in a&e with norovirus could she rearrange to Monday so I said no problem. 5 mins before her appt she messages saying she can't make it due to a leak in her house and asking for available times before new year.

I really don't know what to say to her to make her realise I'm running a business but without being too harsh. Does anyone have any ideas? Xx

I always message clients at least 24 hours in advance to remind them of their appointment. I'll give a few hours for a reply (allow for work etc) if nothing then I'll call but if I am ignored then ill book someone else in.
Pretty much all of my clients I know anyway so I know their schedules but for new clients I politely tell them I'll message/call them 24 hours ahead.
It might sound like a pain but due to this I've never had an appointment that I can't fill or lost out on money.
Xx

Jumping in here for some Advice...

A girl messaged me on a wednesday asking for a certain time on a Friday so I said yes that's fine then she messaged me next day saying she was in a&e with norovirus could she rearrange to Monday so I said no problem. 5 mins before her appt she messages saying she can't make it due to a leak in her house and asking for available times before new year.

I really don't know what to say to her to make her realise I'm running a business but without being too harsh. Does anyone have any ideas? Xx

Call her and explain something like
due to your previous cancellations which I know were out of your control, Id have to take a deposit/ % of treatment price as it's my busiest time of year lalala
You get the picture lol. Id say something along those lines. She could have been telling the truth but if she wasn't and she's going to do it again at least your not totally out of pocket.
If also call/message 24 hours in advance that way if she cancels you might be able to fill the app last min xx

I don't tolerate no shows at all. I put NS (no show) in front of their name on my phone so I know next time they contact me.

If a regular client cancels on the day for a genuine reason, I wish them well but I make a note on their card and on my phone with C.O.D (Cancelled on Day). That way if they do that again I'll remind them that they've done it before and they promise not to do it again. If they do, I never book them in again and I sometimes say that as they lead a busy life, they'll be better trying to get a cancellation on the day (which will never happen).

I do the same as Kim, above, with the exception that, as I don't like confrontation, I don't tell them they'd better turn up (unlike last time), I give them that second chance and if they blow it, they're out for good.

I had the worst no show today!!! Wasn't meant to be working, but had a client looking for a 3hr appointment and couldn't do any other time I suggested. It was she who suggested Xmas eve and I agreed as it would be a good little money boost for a last day of work. 9am came, no client, 9.15 I messaged her, 9.45 called (no answer!) I'm upset as I was only working for her today, got childcare especially. If she/any other no shows want a further appointment they will be paying up front. And I definitely won't work next Christmas Eve!
Have a wonderful day tomorrow everyone xox

Shocking how inconsiderate people can be. I don't work any holidays any more because of no shows I'd rather spend my valuable time at home doing things I want and need to do.

Xmas is not a suprise, same day every year, plenty time to get sorted, I don't tolerate it

I had the worst no show today!!! Wasn't meant to be working, but had a client looking for a 3hr appointment and couldn't do any other time I suggested. It was she who suggested Xmas eve and I agreed as it would be a good little money boost for a last day of work. 9am came, no client, 9.15 I messaged her, 9.45 called (no answer!) I'm upset as I was only working for her today, got childcare especially. If she/any other no shows want a further appointment they will be paying up front. And I definitely won't work next Christmas Eve!
Have a wonderful day tomorrow everyone xox

I hope you text her - I would have
Probably something along the following lines:
Hello, you were due for a 9am appointment today however even though I have texted and phoned you I have still have heard nothing.

Today I was due to have a day off with my family but as you couldn't do any other time I thought id try to help you out so I arranged child care I booked out that 3 hour slot to you.

So as you can imagine I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't heard anything from you and could have spent the day with my husband and young children on Xmas eve

I hope that you had just forgotten or were too busy and that something awful hasn't happened to either you or your family,

If you could please let me know either way to put my mind at ease id be very appreciative

Merry Xmas and happy new year "

Well that's just me !!!! lol

Latest posts

Back