Non-qualified beauticians offering services!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzleuk

Reaction score
OK... so someone in my area who works with a money grabbing apparently high name business (not going to even give satisfaction to thier under rated business on here :-( I offer a lot of services to my clients and I have been told that this woman has been emailing my ladies from my contact list on facebook advertising and undercutting dramatically my clients!!! She is offering (NOT QUALIFIED) non surgical facelifts and facial massages for £10 :-0 I know who she is and I know it is to market this flimsy companies products! She is not qualified at all to preform these services. This company recruits people does not train them and just wants more and more people to buy products! Surely this must be illegal from a company prospective? Can someone perform a non surgical facelift massage without insurance and without qualifications? what can be done?
Sorry my rant is now over :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
no they cant..they are not insured or qulified and could be in big trouble..is she telling clients thats shes not qualified..cuz then if they have still given there consent theres probably not a problem but if she is misleading them saying she is qualified then i would defo report her.

She is charging for these services then no she can't she is not just doing it to demo her companies products so she needs insurance she needs reporting as it gives us professionals a bad name and de valuing our profession x

i agree!!!ive heard of someone doing this in my area but i dont know them....but i would report it why should you lose potential clients or your clients over some one who has no knowledge about the beauty industry the a&p of it all etc clearly all she wants is money and doesnt care who she could hurt in the process where people like us are passionate and wnat to make a diffrence...THE RIGHT WAY!!!!im mad now.lolx

It depends how she is advertising and representing herself. If she is using the products and charging clients to 'purchase' the products that she uses to demonstrate on them how to apply and use them then she doesn't need to be qualified as such as she is demonstrating their products. All of the home sale companies like Nutrimetics, Mary Kay, Avon etc, you don't need to be qualified to have demonstration parties or do one-on-ones.

If she is telling people she's a qualified therapist then that's a different matter.

I'm afraid the fact is that in this country there are no regulations on who can and cannot provide hair and beauty services. It is inadvisable to practice without training and insurance but not illegal. She would only be in trouble if someone was injured and made a claim against her. It is not fair or right but there it is.

As for her contacting your contacts from your Facebook page it is one of the problems with using social sites, they are open for everyone to see. I, personally don't use them to promote my business so any competitors would not have access to my clients. It is one of those things were you have to weigh up the advantage of using F.B. against the disadvantages of this type of thing,

On a more hopeful note, from 18 years experience in this industry I can tell you that she won't last, they never do. Charging what she is charging she will get tired of earning next to nothing. Training shows dedication to your trade, those who do no training are looking to get rich quick, something that is just not possible in this industry. :wink2:

It depends how she is advertising and representing herself. If she is using the products and charging clients to 'purchase' the products that she uses to demonstrate on them how to apply and use them then she doesn't need to be qualified as such as she is demonstrating their products. All of the home sale companies like Nutrimetics, Mary Kay, Avon etc, you don't need to be qualified to have demonstration parties or do one-on-ones.

If she is telling people she's a qualified therapist then that's a different matter.

she is advertising pamper parties and offering and charging for these services. (products are an extra cost) she than takes this opportunity to upsell these products. I know someone who has been to her and they asked outright where she trained and she said she is not a beautician. Just a Salesperson offering these wonderful products :-0 she does toning wraps, facials, makeovers etc with no training apart form the business marketing training she receives from the company. She is also recruiting mommies at home who also want to offer services in thier own homes to make extra money. She makes it clear you do not have to be a beautifian or have any experience :eek: Who do I make a complaint to? I would like to report the company not just the one person because this is disgusting and unprofessional. Never mind misleading. She does not say she is a beautician but she does not make it clear she is not. People just hear pamper parties and pamper evenings etc and they jump at her prices. I know her mentor is aware of what she is doing and stands behind her so the business is very much aware of what thier employees are doing and are commending thier efforts because it is bringing in sales.

I don't think there is really much you can do, except hide your facebook contacts list to anyone who is not a friend/member and make sure your clients know what to look for. You can put notes on your page about why your services are more expensive, what your qualifications are, that you are insured etc then talk about why it is important to go to a trained Beauty Therapist for treatments. This is a very underhand way of doing business and your good clients probably won't thank her for contacting then this way anyway, personally I cannot abide people contacting me via facebook to advertise directly to me. Don't let it get you down and make sure you block her.

Just to add, some companies like Body Shop, Vie at Home etc encourage their consultants to carry out mini facials, manicures etc to demonstrate the products, it's perfectly legal and consultants are trained and insured to do this. It may well be that she's not doing anything wrong at all. What you call a non surgical facelift and what she calls a non surgical facelift may be completely different things. Body Shop advertise some of their products as 'natural Botox' for example.

As Shedunlop says, there is nothing illegal in what she is doing. Beauty like massage is not regulated and anyone can do it. It may be difficult to get insurance without qualifications (although I don't think it's impossible), but then there is no legal requirement to have insurance either.

There isn't alot you can do, But if I was you I would have your fb page private and hide your friends as someone has said above.
Also any advertising you do put that you are qualified and insured. And put that on your fb page.

Latest posts

Back