Not trained in hairdressing, extensions..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My my this topic is always going to cause controversy. Everybody has to start somewhere, have any of you read up on Tatiana Karelina? She owns Tatiana Hair Extensions in London and Manchester and is a very successful business woman and extensionist. She is not a qualified Hairdresser but her success is down to working along side other extensionists, learning the trade in the UK and US and building on her knowledge and skills. This woman clearly has a talent and is successful with no hairdressing qualification.

I agree that SOME people think a 1 day course is an easy solution, it is not! However some people choose to research, train and gain knowledge in this field and work hard for years.

A tricky topic but I see both sides xx
I have had to cut Tatianas extensions before many times because they cannot do it.
I have also had to do an emergency removal too. Shall we not hold her up as a beacon of extensions to aspire to?
The nail people complain about NSS, this is hairs version.
Tatianas started out undercutting everyone, there are some other things went on which I won't post on a public forum.

I have had to cut Tatianas extensions before many times because they cannot do it.
I have also had to do an emergency removal too. Shall we not hold her up as a beacon of extensions to aspire to?
The nail people complain about NSS, this is hairs version.
Tatianas started out undercutting everyone, there are some other things went on which I won't post on a public forum.

Dawn I really do respect your opinions and know that you are one of the key people on SG who provides accurate and honest advice but comparing qualified extensionists with no hairdressing quals is hardly akin to an NSS salon.

NSS use substandard products, have very poor, if any, hygeine practice in place, use the wrong tools on their clients.

surely only a very, very poor extensions course would see their students leave not knowing at least the basics. Every course is only a stepping stone towards gaining more knowledge IMO - you can never know everthing there is to know and surely only the worst f the worst would gain a high standard of training and go on to use cheap, unethically sourced hair and apply it with electrical pliers or a B&Q glue gun?

I have a very strict hygeine process i follow, only use ethically sourced, high quality hair, have the correct tools for the job and am always careful to carry out full and thorough consultations and fit very good extensions with no complaints from clients. Granted, i haven't spent years doing it nor do I have the large client base that some do but my clients get a fantstic service, quality aftercae products and proper aftercare instructions etc - I am not an ogre in the hair industry, just someone trying to offer a quality service to clients :(

Sorry I didn't make that clear, I wasn't saying all non hairdresser ext were NSS. Just a certain well known central London one.

I think it's pretty well known that I think anyone doing hair for money should be properly trained. I see so many horrendous messes due to poor ext that I really cannot agree with non qualified people doing hair.

I have just spent the last 2 years at college training to be a hairdresser !! I was already a barber i am now qualified in both :) and evan i would not go and do extentions straight away !!!! I think you need lots of experience in hair to do extentions because if fitted wrong they are very dangerous xx

Heya i teeny bit off topic. I do kind of agree with that you should be qualified however it is the suppliers fault for letting anyone do it.
the off topic bit is ive booked in with balmain , I have my nvq level 2 hair dressing but my day - day job is hair and makeup( didnt enjoy the cuts colour...)
so clearly im rusty but i can remeber most of it and would be afraid to do a trim. now im thinking the balmain person is going to show up thinking i no every thing there is to know about cutting!
i think they said they cover it a bit?
any in sight appreciated.x

Good Idea! Ill put it alongside my petition to stop non professionals from purchasing chemicals like tint and peroxide - including making it illegal to buy tint in the supermarket!
I cant buy anti-biotics in Tesco's after all......
Here here, ive been hairdressing 18yrs and have lost count of the times ive had to fix a box dye, 3 yrs of training and hard work and anyone can go pick a colour off a shelf with no knowledge, it actually astounds me!!

Heya i teeny bit off topic. I do kind of agree with that you should be qualified however it is the suppliers fault for letting anyone do it.
the off topic bit is ive booked in with balmain , I have my nvq level 2 hair dressing but my day - day job is hair and makeup( didnt enjoy the cuts colour...)
so clearly im rusty but i can remeber most of it and would be afraid to do a trim. now im thinking the balmain person is going to show up thinking i no every thing there is to know about cutting!
i think they said they cover it a bit?
any in sight appreciated.x

Yea they will cover how to cut :) just ask for a little more help if your unsure :) xx

Great thankyou!
Didnt want them thinking im a full time hairdresser.lol.x

Sorry I didn't make that clear, I wasn't saying all non hairdresser ext were NSS. Just a certain well known central London one.

I think it's pretty well known that I think anyone doing hair for money should be properly trained. I see so many horrendous messes due to poor ext that I really cannot agree with non qualified people doing hair.

Which leads us onto the industry being regulated

Ive done a First Aid course....cant get a job as a doctor though...how puzzling :confused:

Im sorry but I am fed up with this industry being undermined and belittled. Its a PROFESSION and a flaming hard one at that. Yes this thread may have sparked some debate, but I have to say that I fully aggree that the industry should be regulated. Its high time hairdressing was taken seriously!
x

Ive done a First Aid course....cant get a job as a doctor though...how puzzling :confused:

Im sorry but I am fed up with this industry being undermined and belittled. Its a PROFESSION and a flaming hard one at that. Yes this thread may have sparked some debate, but I have to say that I fully aggree that the industry should be regulated. Its high time hairdressing was taken seriously!
x

AS a first aider, you are qualified to offer medical attention to someone in an emergency - granted not a doctor but as long s you aren't let loose with a scalpel, you are qualified none te less.

I am a qualified extensionist - I have no intention of offering colours nor perms because I am not qualified to do so. I am qualified in the consultation, fitting, blending, cutting and aftercare of extensions though and don't see how that is belittling someone like yourself?

Many many opinions here! I can see everyones point. But at the end of the day, you can train for however may years as a hairdresser and still not have a natural talent for it, or be the best at it! It does not mean that you are able to do extensions any better than someone who is not a hairdresser.

I have removed hair extensions from clients who have had their extensions done by a trained hairdressers in salons and they have been an absolute riot!

Trained hairdresser or not, we all do the same extensions courses.:irked:

the reason us hairdressers take offence is that we have to keep learning ... we never know it all. A couple of days with or without a bit of e-learning first just cant cover it.
I for one thanks to persianista have now come to understand something that i personally didnt about extensions and pregnancy and i have been hairdressing and doing extensions for years.

to say that hair extensions is stand alone is just frankly Insane ...

I have now read through this entire thread - I was intriqued as to why it was 5 pages long - nose was bothering me LOL.

The thread seems quite balanced, the only thing which would cause it to be closed is the odd sniping comment which has been appearing, so please stop them and the thread can continue as a valuable debate.

I do liken this to nails. I was horrified when I trained to do nail enhancements that you didnt need to be a qualified manicurist (I was) so no knowledge of the nail health, growth etc was needed.

As with nails there are many different courses available from the 1 day shove it on and see what happens, to the much longer courses which teach what you need to know to do the best job for your client.

I think that lobbying the people who are accrediting and insuring these shorter courses is the way to make things change, but as we all know things really grind at a slow pace in the hair and beauty industry.

x

Totally with you on this one.And ppl jumping onto the thread to ask where to get extension training is the height of bloody rudeness if you ask me :(

Totally with you on this one.And ppl jumping onto the thread to ask where to get extension training is the height of bloody rudeness if you ask me :(

If you read the thread hun it was actually started with the question where to get extension training, not the other way around xx

This debate will continue along with all the other short courses! You can learn to drive in 5 days! Now that's scary lol xx

If you read the thread hun it was actually started with the question where to get extension training, not the other way around xx

And we all know what kind of response its going to gain.;)

This debate will continue along with all the other short courses! You can learn to drive in 5 days! Now that's scary lol xx

Just had to respond to this one!
Took me 5 attempts to pass my test!
Now some will say that could mean im much more experienced on the road due to taking my time,however if you were to ask my husband the response would be that it may have taken me 5 attempts,but in no way does that mean im more experienced!!:o

Latest posts

Back