Not trained in hairdressing, extensions..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazybek you beat me with your reply xx

Goodness me yet another thread like this. Let's all accept we have our own opinions and move on. I'm sure people don't mean to be nasty. All of us have something that winds us up about our jobs or lives. That's the way it goes. Good luck to you all x chillax.

It makes the people in the world who think hairdressing is "easy" and hair dressers only do this job as they are not academic etc think even more that this could be the case. I have read both points of view and coming from a hairdresser who also fits extensions I just find it a bit insulting the industry. Although non hairdressers may be good at fitting extensions etc x

someone should start a petition if you all feel so strongly against non hairdressers doing extensions x

someone should start a petition if you all feel so strongly against non hairdressers doing extensions x

Ohh what a good idea!! X

I love this site as everyone helps everyone and it's Extensionist to Extensionist. At the end of the day I've seen girls doing extensions who haven't even had a days course and undercutting ever technician! Therefore we are all loose the battle in the hair extension industry. It's the same as everything if your good at wat you do and you have the determination to progress you will succeed. That's all. No one said hairdressing was easy or for the non-academic I think it's very skilled I just dont think people should be slating each other on here over it. Force your attention on making yourself better through the guidance and support this site gives. If someone generally feels so strongly about these issues I would say take it up with the training providers and not the people that have trained. It's unfair and unneccessary. That's my last part to say in this issue. Lush us and other training providers should be the first point of contact for those who feel so strongly. Lets just get on and get on with it. This person who started this post wanted opinions and guidance let's not put her off by showing her how mean this industry can be, constructive criticism - fine. Let's not just sit and moan about everything but help and support to make this industry strong again!!

This industry IS still strong,as far as im aware it hasnt weakened at all,only peoples attitudes to doing our jobs without the neccessary skills/knowledge to carry it out.
Just a great bunch of enthusiastic protective and hard working hairdressers voicing an honest opinion.
That is all ;-) x;)

Oh my word lets just get over it.

Good Idea! Ill put it alongside my petition to stop non professionals from purchasing chemicals like tint and peroxide - including making it illegal to buy tint in the supermarket!
I cant buy anti-biotics in Tesco's after all......

Let us know when you have and how we can sign it! :)x

This subject gets raised every couple of months and the postings continue until it's pages long, I suppose we all have our opinions on it and it will continue.

The extensionist may think their hair is in perfect etc... But the mess's iv had to sort out after removal is crazy, hair that looks like its been shaved off after breakage, heat damage from the bonding gun are just parts. Iv seen glue still on the hair and believe me,without the tools to remove it it's a nightmare to come accross. The weeks of care some have to put into to repair thee hair is mind boggling, all because they wanted it done on the cheap and had a full head fitted for £150 or so.

So yes I have strong opinions as I know I would be in prison by now if it was my hair they ruined xoxo

This subject gets raised every couple of months and the postings continue until it's pages long, I suppose we all have our opinions on it and it will continue.

Which is why a petition is a good idea so they rather than argue with each other on here we can just direct people to the petition, and then we feel we have done something about it rather than have pages and pages of arguing as we all feel so strongly x

i think a petition is a great idea :) ... before i started training as a hairdresser i wouldnt of thought to check to see if a extensionist was a qualfied hairdressers as actually i always assumed they would have to be and now i know they dont have to be has shocked me and its shocked me more now im training the amount i have learnt can not be taught in ine day or even a week we have spent months learning about diffrent types of hair and contra indications etc and this can not be learnt in a day .. be intresting to see those who have hairdressing experiance at all if they know what a elasticty test is or porosity test is and how to check and what to look out for.. if i was going to get extensions done i would want to know they are fully qualified in hair!! and thats not because im annoyed because i done so long training or they make money .. its just because i dont beleive you can learn all that in one day or one week and if you dont know then thats a risk.. x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i meant no hairdressing experiance you get my jist any way its this damn touch phone lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I can see both sides of this!

I do hair extensions but I am not a trained hairdresser. I do agree that a 1 day course is definitely not enough to learn everything you need to know about extensions.

Before I did the course, I read page upon page for months, about hair extensions and human hair in general. I know how my hair is sourced and from where, down to cutting and blending etc. I also make my own hair extensions from bulk hair I have shipped over from a supplier in India.

It has taken me possibly a year to perfect my methods with extensions, for me, this wasn't about money making, it is something I am passionate about. But only hair extensions, I have no interest in any other aspect of hairdressing.

I do feel courses need to be longer and also stricter in who they let pass at the end. My course was the worse course ever, it was such a waste of money. But I don't agree that you need to be a fully qualified hair dresser. I know for certain I do better hair extensions than some fully trained hairdressers, it doesnt make much of a difference as long as you have the knowledge, skill and proper training.

I wish they would tighten up their training though, there is not a chance I would have let any of those girls who were on my training course come anywhere near my hair.

Oh, and I did my training with Belle Hair Extensions. Such a waste of money.

My my this topic is always going to cause controversy. Everybody has to start somewhere, have any of you read up on Tatiana Karelina? She owns Tatiana Hair Extensions in London and Manchester and is a very successful business woman and extensionist. She is not a qualified Hairdresser but her success is down to working along side other extensionists.

I agree that SOME people think a 1 day course is an easy solution, it is not! However some people choose to research, train and gain knowledge in this field and work hard for years.

A tricky topic but I see both sides xx

Last edited:
I am a qualified extensionist - a non-hairdressing one. I felt that I "should" do a hairdressing course because I was fed up of being seen as a joke by hairdressers who had been in the industry for a long time and felt that i shouldn't even post about anything extension related at one point because of being scoffed at and such.

For me to go to college to do a basic hairdressing for "mature" students would cost me in excess of £100 per week in fuel alone not to mention the initial outlay of a decent kit and research materials etc.

For me, this is not something that is viable and, if I am honest, other aspects of hairdressing are not what I am interested in. I don't wish to learn perming, colour mixing and the like.

I trained with Lush-Us and spent several months beforehand researching, reading, asking questions. I did the course which is a theory exam before hand, the practical day and a theory afterwards. No different to the majority of nail tech courses really - same amount of hours and effort yet nobody is up in arms saying that nail techs should do 2-3 years at college or be classed as a joke in their chosen profession.

I know that this subject will always invoke strong emotions and there will always be a rift between them. I just wish that some of the hairdressing people would accept that not every non-hairdressing extensionist is a fly by night joker who saw £££ so booked a cheap £200 day course :(

I thought Salon Geek was about supporting each other but the way that some people are being so condescending on here is awful.

Truth hurts eh !

Latest posts

Back