NSI issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybemine15

Reaction score
I hope i can get some good standard advice here. I am trialing my mobile nails business .I have handed out leaflets but i am now starting to wonder what will happen as i am having a few issues with the nsi balance gel system i have watched the tutorials on nsi gel removal on the angel nails website it states you should buff the gel off using a 180 grit nail file the tutorial link is below to prove my point!!!
Nail Angel / / Gel Nail Removal
please copy and paste into your search tab to view
I have followed this instruction and to my surprise it has thinned my nail plate causing me and my model to have very thin bendy nails.:evil: Which i am not very happy about I am now do not want to use the nsi gel as i am struggling to remove it without damaging the natural nail even worse when i add my apex builder. Could someone please advice me on other method of removal as soaking in nsi acetone will not remove the nsi balance gel system. Also help is needed as i ill start on clients next week and i am really worried...Also advice on good nail treatment to replace loss would be good as i am using nuture oil but it is not building strength to my natural nail:Scared:.I am seriously going to switch to another brand the nsi results are good but it plays havoc with ya natural nail plate

Last edited:
Have you done any training with the nsi balance system?
It isn't the system that is damaging the natural nail, it's your techniques. If you are over filing the natural nail during prep, maintenance or removal then that will be the culprit, not the system you use.
If you are not confident in the removal then it is recommended that you leave a thin layer of gel on and allow it to grow out.

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Have you done any training with the nsi balance system?
It isn't the system that is damaging the natural nail, it's your techniques. If you are over filing the natural nail during prep, maintenance or removal then that will be the culprit, not the system you use.
If you are not confident in the removal then it is recommended that you leave a thin layer of gel on and allow it to grow out.

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

I am confused as i have only ever been trained from college to soak a gel off not buff it off and leave a thin layer of gel behind is there any tutorial i can view on this matter please:sad:
And as for filing i do not over file for prep believe u me the nsi removal is the culprit in this case i have used systems that are a lot cheaper then nsi such as the edge and essential nails and believe u me they have both never thinned my nail plate and i would not say they ''popular business'' brands but they left my natural nail in tact anyways moving back to topic how do i this method please???
and what treatment can u recommend to stengthen my natural nail and protect my clients from this happening

Last edited:
I'm with noticeable nails on this one :)
NSI is a great product it's just learning different techniques which will help with your removal. As the product is getting lower to the nail plate, be sure to file on the product and not the nail. If you go buff crazy you will be filing parts of the nail where the product has come away therefore begin taking down layers of the natural nail plate. At this point you could try using a lower grit file or buffer.

If your struggling, leave a thin layer of gel on to grow out but you will have this problem with all Hard Gels as unless you purchase a soak off gel this is the only way to remove!

HTH - Good luck :)

I'm sorry but it is your filing doing the damage hun. :hug: The only way to remove the balance gel is to file it off - but you should never file it all off! You need to leave a thin layer whether you are doing a complete removal or a rebalance.

I think you need to get some training directly from NSI if you haven't had any. Your training at college on soak off gel won't be anything like what you need.

NSI balance gels are a good product, very good I think - but only if you know how to use them.

Just as a thought, are your nails left thin and sore or soft? There's a difference between the 2. After having any enhancements on your nails they will feel soft for a couple of days. If however the nails are looking pink and are sore then you have a thinning of the nails.

As the geeks have said above, you really need to do a conversion course if you have been trained in soak-off gels, its a very different product when it comes to removal. I would suggest as your starting next week to go back to the products you were trained with until you can do the course.

As for your thin nails all you can do now is keep conditioning them with the nurture oil to condition the new nail that is growing up. You have taken layers of your natural plate away that wont come back until the new nail grows up. You could use a paint on nail strengthener to help in the meantime.

I agree with everyone, NSI is a great product But you have to be careful when buffing of and leave a very thin layer to grow out, I do that and their is no problem with my clients nails, have a few and they love it.

I cant add any more than other geeks have already said, but just to agree with them, NSI is one of the more reputable products on the market, its not the gel that's causing the damage, it's your filing technique. Even when you are doing a complete removal you never remove all the gel, you should leave a thin layer of gel on the nail which will grow out.

Book yourself some training with this product and you'll start to see better results.

I agree with everyone, NSI is a great product But you have to be careful when buffing of and leave a very thin layer to grow out, I do that and their is no problem with my clients nails, have a few and they love it.

I agree, it isn't the products fault its yours. If you havnt been trained in buff off then get some or else you will keep having these issues with every buff off system you use. As for your over buffing the nail before hand even with soak off the nails you are still gonna have damaged if you keep over buffing.

Just a thought too, if there isn't an NSI training center in your area could you go back to where you did your training and ask them if they could do a one on one afternoon with you on buff off gels? :)

I have done the method on 1 of my own fingers and it is working fine however!
i have a white nail tip on my finger with a thin layer of gel left behind do i leave the white tip to grow out or do i soak it in acetone only to where the tip is to remove it like u would if you had a soak off gel with white tip??? but leave the rest of the gel on the natural nail to grow out
Also my finger is red from all my past filing ill just leave it to heal and put a good nail treatment on with cuticle oil to rebuild my natural nail :o:irked: i feel like such a crap nail tech, i feel really embarrassed, i should of known really It had been such a long time since i did gel and then i used a different system my stupid ignorance in thinking all systems are the same :cry::o thanks for your help and advice thank god i have not been let loose on the public yet

Last edited:
Don't be too hard on yourself. You've realised a problem, and sought help to rectify the problem - that's good, and way better than carrying on with ignorance.

If you follow through with the training, you'll be fine. :hug:

I am confused as i have only ever been trained from college to soak a gel off not buff it off and leave a thin layer of gel behind is there any tutorial i can view on this matter please:sad:
And as for filing i do not over file for prep believe u me the nsi removal is the culprit in this case i have used systems that are a lot cheaper then nsi such as the edge and essential nails and believe u me they have both never thinned my nail plate and i would not say they ''popular business'' brands but they left my natural nail in tact anyways moving back to topic how do i this method please???
and what treatment can u recommend to stengthen my natural nail and protect my clients from this happening

Believe you me, NSI is NOT the culprit, YOU are the cause of the problem.
It is distressing to see so many new techs blame products, then bad mouth that company or product when in fact, it is the nail tech techniques that are causing all the damage.

If you have had correct training either with NSI or another source, you will have been taught how to remove a BUFF off gel correctly and one of the biggest technique taught is, to always leave a thin layer of gel on the nail and it will grow out or lift off in it's own good time if no other product is applied on top of it.
If you are wanting to apply another product (even if it's acrylic and not gel) leaving a thin layer of the buff off gel on the natural nail will not affect the new set, providing you as the tech have done all your prep correctly that is.
The ONLY way your nails can become thin is due to being filed that way by YOU, either during the prep stage or removal stage, NO gel thins nails like you are suggesting.

One saying that Greg from Young Nails says and I think it's one of the best is "It's NOT the tools that do the damage, it's the fools that do the damage".

You say you were only taught in college to remove soak off gels, maybe you need to return to college to learn how to do buff off gels CORRECTLY.

Please do not blame NSI or the Balance gel system for a problem YOU have caused, just learn how to work with buff off gels correctly and the problem will be solved.

I don't mean to jump in...but in my opinion that last comment was a bit harsh. 😳x

I don't mean to jump in...but in my opinion that last comment was a bit harsh. 😳x

And you are entitled to that opinion:)

Yes, it might be harsh but the amount of times we have untrained people (it's obvious when someone has either little or no training in the problem area they are having) coming into a public forum and baging out ANY company's products for something that they themselves are causing, it should be bought to their attention that this is not correct and it's not the product, it's the person using it.

This is clearly a case as such and it is not fair on NSI or any other company to have such a good product like Balance Gels accused of doing something that it doesn't do.

As the OP said, she has had training in soak off gels, not buff off gels and this clearly shows in the issues she is having but instead of realising she needs training and that she is doing something wrong, she blames a perfectly good product that MANY MANY techs (including myself) have used for years and years with NO problems like this because we have had training in buff off gels and know how to remove correctly.

And you are entitled to that opinion:)

Yes, it might be harsh but the amount of times we have untrained people (it's obvious when someone has either little or no training in the problem area they are having) coming into a public forum and baging out ANY company's products for something that they themselves are causing, it should be bought to their attention that this is not correct and it's not the product, it's the person using it.

This is clearly a case as such and it is not fair on NSI or any other company to have such a good product like Balance Gels accused of doing something that it doesn't do.

As the OP said, she has had training in soak off gels, not buff off gels and this clearly shows in the issues she is having but instead of realising she needs training and that she is doing something wrong, she blames a perfectly good product that MANY MANY techs (including myself) have used for years and years with NO problems like this because we have had training in buff off gels and know how to remove correctly.

I could not agree more. It shoulf just be common sense when your trained correctly.

In fairness to the OP though, she had already acknowledged that she perhaps should have thought it through before you posted your comment, which I agree was a bit harsh.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Yes and on her last post the OP had also realised that she did need to improve, people come on here to learn from kind professionals who give helpful advice not to be shouted down in capital letters.

Believe you me, NSI is NOT the culprit, YOU are the cause of the problem.

Any need for the aggressive tone to the replies? Everyone needs help and support to learn.

Latest posts

Back