NSS Gel/Acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynailparadise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am really confused about something so I thought i would come to my favorite site for advice!
I had a new client yesterday who was recommended by one of my regulars. She normally goes to a nss and wanted to give me a try! She had some horrible thick nails and I had my work cut out!
Anyway I started asking her about what she normally has done (as I always do, cos I'm nosy) and she said she has gel, which I was very shocked by because her nails blatently looked like l&p and filed like l&p! So I asked more questions like what products they use and the method and she said
"Its a gel powder that they mix with a liquid"
Now this is the confusing part for me cos I never heard of this before as she says there was no lamp involved!
  • I know you can get acrylic gel, which is the gel that you dip in the acrylic powder and then cure in uv.
  • I also know about the uv acrylic that you apply like a l&p but cures under uv lamp.
Am I missing something here?
Can anyone help?

Cheers! :)

sounds like l&p to me and the nss just fobbing her off by saying it was gel!

I used to have "GEL" nails done at my local nss before I was trained and knew any better.
Believe me its not gel... Its L&P.
They have a product called crystal which is basically a crystal clear glass like acrylic powder that is what they used to use on me. But fobbed me off by telling me it was gel as that is what I had asked for.

Jen

Last edited:
Gel is gel and i smell a rat ! sounds like this place needs to be given a wide birth
this is such a common story gives those of us, that are good at our job and honest, a bad name :mad:

but the bad news is joe public are not armed with enough information

knowledge is power, power is knowledge :!:

hopefully one day nss will be regulated

xxxLxxx

sounds like l&p to me and the nss just fobbing her off by saying it was gel!

I know! and I said this to her but she started getting really funny with me sayin it was defo gel!

If there's no lamp, there's no gel.
There's no telling what goes on in those salons.........
It doesn't help the fact they can't speak (nor explain themselves) in English.

I had a friend come to me and ask if i could soak her some nails off because they were all thick some had broke she was in alot of pain. I got chatting to her about what they do she said they just file her nail with an electric drill and then but on the acrylic :eek: nothing else. They took over two hours to soak off and her nails were awful underneath

I know! and I said this to her but she started getting really funny with me sayin it was defo gel!

I've had a few customers come to me with the same thing. Can I do gel fills? Yes, I can. When they get to the salon and I'm thinning the enhancement (LOOKS like POW for a French) I'm given a funny look. Then I realize, it's POLISH!

OMG...I ask more questions and FINALLY come to the realization, the initial process (full set or fill) is indeed L&P but (and here's where it gets funky) the NSS use a UV gel glossing coat that cures under the lamp. I think that's where the confusion comes in.

The customer is told they have gel nails and because the NSS use a lamp to cure the UV glossing coat, the customers BELIEVE they do have gels.

It's a disgrace to our profession! :mad:

also around here in oklahoma the NSS are vietnamese. they *pretend* to not speak english. i used to use one (they actually werent that bad, no worse than the licensed salons in my area :rolleyes:) and the kid doing my nails over heard me discussing my french class in college. he confessed that he and ALL 40ish of the ppl working in the salon spoke AT LEAST SIX languages -- not including english and their native language. they just didnt want to have to talk to the customers and have to explain to them what they were doing, asnwer questions, etc.

one of the older guys overheard him and started chewing him out and made another guy start doing my nails (the kid had been doing my nails for over a yr) and i never saw that kid again. my mom said he got moved to one of their other salons that had less business (they had 6 in town)

The customer is told they have gel nails and because the NSS use a lamp to cure the UV glossing coat, the customers BELIEVE they do have gels.

It's a disgrace to our profession! :mad:
Seriously this should not be allowed! Its false advertising! Not only that but when a new client comes to me from a nss they think I'm lying to them and it makes me look like I dont know what I'm talking about! :cry:

Seriously this should not be allowed! Its false advertising! Not only that but when a new client comes to me from a nss they think I'm lying to them and it makes me look like I dont know what I'm talking about! :cry:

EXACTLY! And that cheeses me off to no end!

I was sold the con last week. I went back this week as I wasn't happy with them and questioned the whole Gel/UV thing (following research on this site). She told me that there is two kinds of gel: Gel powder and UV gel.

Let's say I won't be using them again.

They def use L&P and call it gel and charge £10 extra for the privellage ! dam cheek if you ask me just wish people would learn you get what you pay for in this life and if you pay £20 for a full set they def not professional !

I've been in before to have my nails done 'only because i wanted to know why people prefer them and also wanted to see the competition' they don't speak to you and make you feel uncomfortable 'they did me' my nails were then ruined, recently another opened close to me and now they even offer spray tans :eek:. Lets be fair, people just prefer their nails because it lasts and lasts and to be quiet honest i don't think the people who go there really care about the after results. I have friends who will only go to them salons because they can get away with a once a month infills and they are cheaper. Not good but unless it is banned then we can do nothing. :rolleyes:

They def use L&P and call it gel and charge £10 extra for the privellage ! dam cheek if you ask me just wish people would learn you get what you pay for in this life and if you pay £20 for a full set they def not professional !

Are there different colours of acrylic? My sisters nails are pinky and my 'gel'/acrylic is clear. I think that's how I was managed to be conned, as they guy was like 'the gel is beetter than the acrylic and it goes on clear, showing your natural nail through'.

I want to go to another salon when it's time for the infills as I don't think the NSS know what they were doing, but I'm not sure what I had whether it was gel or acrylic.

does any 1 no what products the nss use i have had a few clients come to me for an infill and there acryilc has gone very dull and slightly yellow didnt look nice i dont understand how people get away with once a month infill ? x

im not 100% sure what nss stands for...im from canada so im assuming its what we call the little chop shops...here they tend to use dental acrylic which takes so ridiculously long to file off and they pass it off as gel...because most people dont know any better...during training we would work on the public and were instructed not to book clients that had been to these "chop shops"...it was just too hard for students to try and fix ...so are they the same where everyone else is from?

nss stands for non standard salon!!! Im lucky theres none around my area!!!x

Latest posts

Back