NSS Nail Bars doing Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjess

Reaction score
I love Shellac and how easy it is to use. I think it will bring me a lot of business. But I can't stop thinking that the NSS Nail Bars are once again going to take this over by under pricing me. I know they have been doing Axxium by OPI so I Know they will do this to. As I've seen in the past clients are going for the cheaper services, even at the exspence of poor workmenship and harmful products. :sad: What is your thought on this?

Actually, some of the 'poor workmenship' in discount stores are actually very good. They have an eye for shape, are precise and can make a spanking good looking nail in 5 seconds. The problem they have is not their application skills, but rather the procedure and ways in which they do nails.

In regards to Shellac being used in their stores, well, yes it may happen. but then the rest of us are all offering it too. At the end of the day, we can not stop each other from offering services, but what we can do is to concentrate and spend more time on improving ourselves.

If we are really that good at what we do, then there will be no fear for competition at all.

I agree with Anna on all points.

If you are loosing many of your clients to the discount salon down the road then there is a reason ... its not all about the money either .. it can be about the speed at which they work (time is a very important issue for most all of us). My guess is that the clients that go down the road in the main do not come to you, simply because they want that speedy service offered there.

There have been very few that I have seen in my area that do quality workmenship (no apex very flat). But I quess you can get that at any salon. But I quess my point is, that I spend many hours and $ improving my product line and skills to give the best products and skills just to have clients not even give me a try sometimes because they say they can get it done for a lot less around the corner. Although I do get the clients that are educated to the products they use and are tired of the damage to thier nails from thier drills. But in the defence of some of the NSS some are starting to use better products, but they charge more to.

To be honest, I think it may be unlikely that the discounts stores will be offering Shellac at 'a discount price'.

Think about it, Shellac is a premium product costing premium price. The margin of profit is not enough to attract the discount stores to be offering at a cheap price.

The only reason why some discounts stores can charge L+P and UV gel nails at a cheaper price is because they are able to get their cheap products from Asia Pacific at a very cheap price. Their profit margin is huge even when prices are so low. When have we ever seen them use CND powders and is able to charge the same low price...?

Maybe they will get their hands on Shellac, but I think they probably won't be charging any much cheaper than we do considering they have alot more overheads and wages to deal with than we do.

So, if the money won't cause the problem, then we should go back on timing.
Practice, practice and practice, concentrate on accuracy and speed up your painting skills. If the local discount stores can paint better than you, then spend time finding a way to paint better than them.

I never classify the discount stores as competition. If for whatever reason, all my clients are going to them, then there must be something that they are doing that I am not. And whatever it is that they are doing, they are doing it VERY well.
So instead of sitting there moaning about how they have taken all my business, I would actively go out there, find out what they are doing and then better them.

Like I said, if you are that good, then there is no competition. THEY should be scared of you, not the other way round.

Last edited:
I agree with Anna on all points.

If you are loosing many of your clients to the discount salon down the road then there is a reason ... its not all about the money either .. it can be about the speed at which they work (time is a very important issue for most all of us). My guess is that the clients that go down the road in the main do not come to you, simply because they want that speedy service offered there.
Hi gigi. I'm not sure you both understand what I said. I just started back in the nail industry in 2007 at a time the econamy in Michigan sucked. I worked in Salons charging $60 & up for sets, $75 p/w, People wouldn't even give me a chance to show them my work. I'm pretty good. No complaints from those who have, they love my work. Had to go to Spa that charges much much less just to get them in to try. Now finally staring to build. Was hoping to charge $35 for Shellac. The New Spa I'm in is high-in but charges only $35 sets acrylic & 25 fills. But I got her to charge $55 for Gels since no one around here hardly does gels but me. Real gels that is not gel powder. They may be faster then me with thier drills, but at the expense of flat, Rings of Fire on their nails. At least thats what I'm finding in my area

Hi gigi. I'm not sure you both understand what I said.

Sorry franjess, I think you are probably right. I don't quite undertsand what your concerns are.

Like I said, I don't think the discount stores will be offering shellac at a discount price considering they will have to buy Shellac from CND the same price that you will buying it. It would be very unlikely then for them to be able to undercharge you.

And if you are good at nails and still finding it difficult to have and keep clients, then maybe you should out there advertising and promoting yourself..?

Competition is everywhere, not just discount stores, you are doing Shellac, I am doing Shellac, everyone is doing shellac.
Rather at this particular moment, it is the discount stores that are NOT doing Shellac.

I think sometimes we spend far too much time talking and worrying about the discount stores. We always make a point on here that what they do is completely different from what we do, but yet we always sit here worrying about how they are taking all our businesses.

If what they do really is THAT bad and we are really THAT much superior to them, then why do we need to classify them as competition at all....?

There is only competion if there is comparison, if the nails they do can not be compared to the work that we do, then we need not worry at all.

Last edited:
Also, I think the misconception about the only reason the discount stores are faster than us is because they use e-files is not entirely true.

The real reason I think they are faster is because they can physically make a better nail at a faster speed than us, whether it is through practice or natural born skill.

These girls and men are dam good when they put product to nail. Gigi always teaches us, If you can control the product well, then there should be not need for much filing at all. Make a nail with your brush, not with the file.

Rather, I think they use the e-file more on the natural nail than the enhancement, which of course, we all know is completely wrong.

The nails they do maybe sometimes without apex, but if they can control the product that well, then apex is only a minor thing that they can easily learn.

Last edited:
How can the NSS get shellac in their salon and if they can get Shellac too, probably they are one of CND professional, or not?

Hi, flower, Let me start out by first saying, I have nothing against the asains personaly. I've worked with two of them male and female for a short time. I've seen the work of both and my daugther who lives a ways from me goes to them even after I told her about their short cuts on prep and some using MMA. She says she doesn't care they're cheap and fast. So from first hand experiance here with my daughter and clients coming in saying they hurt them with the drills and the red makes and fungus on their nails I know what I'm talking about as far as my area. I ask one of the asians I worked with about how they're taught and he said the same as I was but when they get in the salon they're thought to take short cuts to get done faster. To me if they don't do prep right thats poor workmenship and if there's not apex or C curve well what is that? Not good workmenship in my eyes. I also have my bad days where I am in a hurry and don't put out my best, shame on me.

By the way Just only got Shellac here May 7th. Not many Know about it yet. My Spas one of the first in the area to have it.

Last edited:
I think sometimes we spend far too much time talking and worrying about the discount stores. We always make a point on here that what they do is completely different from what we do, but yet we always sit here worrying about how they are taking all our businesses.

If what they do really is THAT bad and we are really THAT much superior to them, then why do we need to classify them as competition at all....?

There is only competion if there is comparison, if the nails they do can not be compared to the work that we do, then we need not worry at all.
There's competion because people are use to settling for less when thier pocket book is involved. Even if quilaty and looks is involved and some have just not experiance better or even know its out there. Some I've done said they didn't know it could look so natural and could have fills without hurting. If they can't aford the best, they go for what they can, reather then be without. This is want I've found here. So yes there is competition even though theres no comparison. So when something like Shellac comes alone I'm excited because NSS aren't using it yet and I can get thier clients I normal wouldn't get into my spa to experiance quailty work. I'm so happy. :D

Me again, Its funny not many responded to this thread. Today when I was searching on here something I read on beauty tech about Nail Salons not licensed and nothing being done because understaffed, I Found a thread from 2007 having 17 pages, about just what I'm saying people go for cheap. The tread was by Sassy Hassy called disillusioned with the state of nail industry. Flower you had a post agreeing to it. It was a great tread and I agree with Sassy. That year was the Year I got back into the nail industry after 16 to 18 yes out. Learned a lot from treads and teaching on here and other sources to catch up on what I missed (thanks Salon Geeks) Classes also but learned mostly from here.

In my earlier years in the nail business I built quickly and worked 12 hour days, had people on waitng list. But now its very humbling tring to just get clients in to show how good I am. So please geeks don't get to cocky, this may happen to you. Never had NSS when I did nails back then in Ohio.

By the way anyone hear about non licensed Salons in you area?

Last edited:

I've got a bunch of 'discount salons' in my area but I'm not too far from you! They are everywhere, aren't they?

I was p*ssed off on Saturday when I walked into the salon I used to work at. The salon is in the 'up and up', everyone is licensed thru the state of Michigan and it's definitely NOT a discount salon.

What p*ssed me off? I saw the new Shellac rack and realized they are Shellac'ing WITHOUT a CND lamp. Now, when the Shellac doesn't work (because it's being cured without the proper lamp) will the blame go to CND? I don't think the average consumer knows that the proper lamp DOES make a difference.

Unfortunately there are unscrupulous folks in every profession. I think the only thing we can do is be the best we can be, do the best we can do and let the chips fall where they may. :)

Last edited:
I've got a bunch of 'discount salons' in my area but I'm not too far from you! They are everywhere, aren't they?

I was p*ssed off on Saturday when I walked into the salon I used to work at. The salon is in the 'up and up', everyone is licensed thru the state of Michigan and it's definitely NOT a discount salon.

What p*ssed me off? I saw the new Shellac rack and realized they are Shellac'ing WITHOUT a CND lamp. Now, when the Shellac doesn't work (because it's being cured without the proper lamp) will the blame go to CND? I don't think the average consumer knows that the proper lamp DOES make a difference.

Unfortunately there are unscrupulous folks in every profession. I think the only thing we can do is be the best we can be, do the best we can do and let the chips fall where they may. :)

Well they are fools!

Everyone always thinks they know better don't they? Better than the experts that put the whole system together and spent god knows how much money investing in the research and development of Shellac.

Fancy investing in a system that because they wont spend the few extra bucks to get the right equipment, will let their clients down and fall short of their expectations. It's just plain stupid really.

Me again, Its funny not many responded to this thread. Today when I was searching on here something I read on beauty tech about Nail Salons not licensed and nothing being done because understaffed, I Found a thread from 2007 having 17 pages, about just what I'm saying people go for cheap. The tread was by Sassy Hassy called disillusioned with the state of nail industry. Flower you had a post agreeing to it. It was a great tread and I agree with Sassy. That year was the Year I got back into the nail industry after 16 to 18 yes out. Learned a lot from treads and teaching on here and other sources to catch up on what I missed (thanks Salon Geeks) Classes also but learned mostly from here.

In my earlier years in the nail business I built quickly and worked 12 hour days, had people on waitng list. But now its very humbling tring to just get clients in to show how good I am. So please geeks don't get to cocky, this may happen to you. Never had NSS when I did nails back then in Ohio.

The reason why not many people have responded to this thread is probably because many of us are getting bored with discussing the nss/discount stores issue.

I remember that thread, a long time ago, but I can't remembering agreeing to people going for cheap prices though, I don't think that is what Sassy herself said on her orginal first post when she put up that thread. I agreed to the fact that nails is my passion and profession and that I liked knitting too - as past time... :D

Why do you think we are getting cocky..? Can't speak for anyone else, but I too have discount stores near by, in fact, there are 4 of them on the high street where I live and they are dead busy. But the difference between you and me is - and I keep expressing - that I don't feel they are competition. I don't feel threaten by them and I certainly don't waste my time worrying about them.

Franjess my dear, since your original concern is about nail bars doing shellac and you have also already mentioned that you are happy now that they are NOT doing them yet... maybe you should just let this thread go now....?

Last edited:

Hi Deanosnana, The thread in beautytech forum, may 16th, (by kailiek) called what the heck is with shutting down non licensed salon. Its interesing take a read. Its in the USA, Texas. Inspectors know about them and can't close them down.

I think because we just got the shellac in May and the lamp isn't available till middle June. People are using what they have. I'm lucky to have two brisa lamps. I can do them now the right way. Don't want it to start out failing right off the bat by using wrong lamp. It well get a bad rap of being no good. Can't have that. Word pass's fast good or bad.

Latest posts

Back