Occupational hazard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal100

Reaction score
Hi

How long should tips and L&P overlay last on a hairdresser? I did a set for a hairdresser two and a half weeks ago and 2-3 nails on each hand has started to 'split' at the free edge as the natural nail has grown.

I had to soak off her previous enhancements (done by another nail tech), and some of her nail plates were quite 'fragile' and painfull. I cut out some of the well area of the tips when I did the enhancements so there would not be too much trauma when blending and then did pink overlay. Being a hairdresser her hands are constantly in water, would this have added to the problem of the free edge splitting?
Anyone who has 'done' hairdressers nails or not, comments gratefully accepted!

crystal100 said:
Hi

How long should tips and L&P overlay last on a hairdresser? I did a set for a hairdresser two and a half weeks ago and 2-3 nails on each hand has started to 'split' at the free edge as the natural nail has grown.

I had to soak off her previous enhancements (done by another nail tech), and some of her nail plates were quite 'fragile' and painfull. I cut out some of the well area of the tips when I did the enhancements so there would not be too much trauma when blending and then did pink overlay. Being a hairdresser her hands are constantly in water, would this have added to the problem of the free edge splitting?
Anyone who has 'done' hairdressers nails or not, comments gratefully accepted!
2 of my clients are hair dressers and they have had no problems.

maybe shes being heavy handed if they are splitting at the tip, or maybe because she heavy handed more product needs to be over the stress area, or her nails might grow quickly and need a infil/rebalance quicker?

is she being a good girl and looking after them with oil etc?

ohh, just had a thought!! (doesnt happen often!)

is she a general hairdresser, as in does cuts colours, perms etc?

If she wears gloves when she is doing colours the nails could be drying out from the gloves?

wait, just thought, you didnt say they were lifting!

well there goes my thought of the day!!!! LOL!

could they be too long, and shes banging them with her comb, scissors, etc, and not noticing until, the tip cracks?

Hiya!

She does everything from washing hair to cuts, colours etc. There was no lifting...just the splitting at the free edge. Her nails do grow very quickly as when I looked underneath the tip, you could see the natural nail growth distinctly.

Hi there,

Thought this might help you. I have a hairdresser client and through trial and error have found the perfect way to stop the free edge split that you are talking about.

Firstly I make sure they are really prepped well.
Secondly make sure you apply the acrylic and wrap it well around the free edge.
Make sure client oils regularly.
and use a UV top coat/sealant like Creative Phaze 2 or Young Nails Finish Gel over the top of acrylic enhancements.

Hope this helps.

Sam
Nothing But Nails

crystal100 said:
Hiya!

She does everything from washing hair to cuts, colours etc. There was no lifting...just the splitting at the free edge. Her nails do grow very quickly as when I looked underneath the tip, you could see the natural nail growth distinctly.
maybe her next infil should be only 2 weeks, amazing how much difference a !/2 week can make.

maybe, (i dont really know because i havent seen them, etc) they need to be slightly thinner at the tip, it may be too heavy, so its splitting at free edge. ( you did say her nails were very thin and fragile, so i can imagine it wouldnt take much to split them!)

maybe do them a bit shorter, although she probley requested the length you did, maybe she needs them shorter, whilst her n.nail re-grows underneath?

as said before, maybe shes just one of those heavy handed people who just have problems with nails!

hmm, who knows with clients! LOL

:lol:

Latest posts

Back