Odourless - OPI Clarite users question please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsAqua

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm considering training in acrylic - I use CND gel. My partner HATES the smell of acrylic (I work from home). I did a bit of research on line for odourless products and have come across OPIs Clarite (not to mention INM).

I note that many places use it for training, so am assuming it's easy to work with? I dropped into my nail supplier yesterday and noted they sell the Absolute but not the Carite... My supplier tells me that it's really hard to work with, many people have trouble with the mix ratio and odourless really isn't very good...

Can someone tell me 1. is it really odourless?? 2. Is it easy or hard to work with? 3. What are it's major problems? 4. Is there a better odourless system? OR anything usefull that would help me make a decision.

I really need your input on this one as I don't know what to do.

Much appreciated.:green:

Hi we trained with it in college and because its a slow setting acrylic its perfect for training it gives you time to get your smiles right etc.

It is odourless and i thought it was good to work with infact i was going to do the conversion course but developed an allergy to it which some geeks said is down to the fact that it is odourless and it leaves a sticky layer on top of the nail once it has set, which has to be filed off. I went back to smelly acrylic still OPI but the absolute, and after a while of coming out in blisters my allergy has gone.

I did like it but i much prefer absolute and now i don't even notice the smell anymore hth

I have used OPI odorless for years. I just switched to Clarite because they are no longer making the original OPI Odorless L&P but I was told that Clarite is the same product. The powder is finer so I had to work with it a bit to become familiar with the ratio. Odorless monomer does not cure hard like other L&P products. It cures from the bottom up and there is a tacky surface. This has to be buffed off. But if you need odorless and dust free this is the product. If you want to use it for 3D art you will probably be disappointed. I use colored absolute but with a Clarite nail as a base. There is still some odor but not as strong when I only use it for the art work. If I do all ten nails my first nail is ready to buff by the time I have sculped the last.

Hello, I have used Clarite when providing enhancement services. I exclusively used it for years. However I have started working with the Traditional formula because its a simpler process and I've outgrown the need for a slow setting acrylic.

1. Yes it is really odorless. It is a slow evaporating monomer. This does NOT mean there are no vapors! Just that they don't have enough time to produce a smell. Don't let the lack of odor lure you into thinking you can be careless with your exposure to the vapors that are STILL THERE.
2. It's easy to work with. It just takes more time. I find it to be more ratio sensitive than traditional L&P. This means more potential for yellowing if you don't have it right on!
3. Major problems I encountered were:
-slow set time means it takes longer to do your service
-you need a brush that holds less liquid, so more beads of product, again makes your service take longer
-extra step of curing resin. This is a "new" product for Clarite to solve the problem of filing the dispersion (sticky) layer. This product makes offering Clarite more expensive than traditional L&P. I went back to using the surface file.

There are a lot of smart work habits you can use to minimize the odor. If you do a search on it, you'll find lots of interesting reading. Keep your dappen dish covered whenever possible. Don't wipe your brush. Use metal trash cans. Etc, etc.

If you look at my history of posts, you will see I tried, valiantly, to make Clarite work for me. And I believe its a great product with great intentions. Just too much trouble for me!

HTH's

All 'odour' free products have the same challenges mentioned above
  • slower set
  • yellowing
  • sticky inhibition layer
It is also worth noting that they are along with gels, the most likely product to over expose you so that you or your clients may have an allergic reaction to the product.

You can so easily lower the odour you make with traditional liquids (WITH
good working habits) that odour should not be an issue.

The bad habits most likely to cause odour are
  • brush wiping on your paper towel (this is the number 1 cause of excessive smell)
  • use of pumps for monomer
  • incorrect disposal of waste materials
  • lid off your dappen dish for too long
THE CURES?

• Use a dedicated gauze pad that has been dampened with sanitiser for any brush wiping you need to do. The dampness of the pad draws the excess monomer into the pad and traps it there for mush less odour.
  • Don't use pumps for dispensing monomer liquid
  • store all waste in a covered METAL bin
  • Keep all liquids covered when not in use.
Do these things and you will reduce any odour by 80% immediately.

I have to say I completely agree with 'geeg'. I was having a terrible problem with smell and my husband was closing his study door and opening his window and still say it stunk.

Well I now follow the "best practice" guide for reducing smell and now he sits in the same room as me!

However, I don't use a lid for the dampening dish though, I use a cotton wool pad soaked with sanitizer I find that this works better then the little metal lids that don't sit flush so allow vapours to leak out.

I did consider using OPI Odourless but now that this method is working I shall be sticking to regular Odour L&P.

I have to say I completely agree with 'geeg'. I was having a terrible problem with smell and my husband was closing his study door and opening his window and still say it stunk.

Well I now follow the "best practice" guide for reducing smell and now he sits in the same room as me!

However, I don't use a lid for the dampening dish though, I use a cotton wool pad soaked with sanitizer I find that this works better then the little metal lids that don't sit flush so allow vapours to leak out.

I did consider using OPI Odourless but now that this method is working I shall be sticking to regular Odour L&P.

I suppose it depends on the dappen dish! I only use glass dappen dishes with well fitting lids. :green:

Latest posts

Back