Official Classification of Types of Property Usage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouffloncake

Reaction score
Hi guys & girls :)

I am looking into moving out of the room I rent in a health, beauty & wellbeing center & going into a small shop in the same town.

Does anybody know what official classification "Beauty Therapy" comes under?

The shop I looked at today is A1 (Retail) but hairdressing also comes under this classification - does beauty? Or would it come under D1 (Non-residential institutions) "for the provision of any medical or health services"

Would I need to apply for change of use if I took on an A1?

:irked:

Penny
x

My beauty salon comes under A1 usage. . . but just to be sure why not call your local council before you go ahead and start looking?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. That's interesting, now I'm going to get investigating.....

Yes, I guess thats what I will have to do. I'm just feeling impatient lol - it's 11pm & the council is closed, I want answers.

I'm just getting ahead of myself & waaaay too excited. Hubby keeps telling me to chill, slow down & take a breath lol.

x

A1 is for shops retail/hair salons/post offices etc
A2 for financial use/banks etc
A3 Restaurants/pubs (you never want to look a place with A3 planning as you pay 4 times the normal amount of rent!)
B1 Business/offices
B2 Industrial
B8 Storage & distribution
C1 Hotels
C2 Schools or hospitals
C3 Home Business's
D1 & D2 Churches/Health Clinics/Gyms/Cinemas (I think)

Beauty salons always fall into A1 or C3 but any of the above can be granted change of use.

The classification is just what the planning permission allows. A3 is often the most desirable for rental income so its pointless trying to take one on and get change of use to an A1 as the landlord won't be happy. It taks a lot to get an A3 classification.

B1 is often used too for salons but require change of use to A1. The only thing you have to satisfy the planners is that you wont be causeing additional traffic/parking problems etc or operating outside the normal hours of an office etc.

Kate

Unless things have changed in the last two years it is often set by your Local Council Authority. Often Beauty Salons don't fall into any category with Councils and you have to apply for a Sui Generis (do a search on here thre's been quite a few threads in the past) - so do taxi ranks!!! That's the trouble with Local Councils, it's how they interpret the rules set by Government - and some just seem to make it up as they go along, or at least that's how it feels. So check with your own Council and what their stance is.

For the local authority here, nail/beauty salons are sui generis.

Let us know what they say as it does seem to vary from council to council.

Thanks everybody. Well, I got a response from the council......

"I write with reference to your enquiry received today. I can confirm that a beauty salon is classed as Sui Generis and therefore planning permission is required for the change of use of any premises to a beauty salon and also any use from a beauty salon would also require permission. "

So there we have it.

Hmmm.

The little shop I have my eye on is A1. I wonder if I kept the front for retail (all products related to treatments & whack in a few extras like crystal files) & did my treatments out back if I would still need permission to change use. I mean, technically, it will remain retail.....

Has anybody done this?

I'm going to do some more searching on here tonight.....

:|

Latest posts

Back