Oh, I've forgotten to go the cash machine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, that makes sense. I will make sure I have my details with me in future.

So all of my regular clients come and know exactly how much money they are going to pay so why do they feel it necessary to not bring it with them? I wouldn't walk into sainsburys pack all my shopping ready in the trolley then say il come back once iv eaten it! I know we all do silly things I'm forever forgetting to take my purse out, it's hardly like I can say oh well no payment, let me take your nails off and bugger your brows back up! Unfortunatly I live in the sticks and you have to drive to a shop a couple of miles away. I don't want to lose this client nor do I want to lose my money either. Iv put a notice on fb that il take paypal payments for a small surcharge. Hint hint! Xx

I advertise the following and my details for payment are on my website too,
Debit/credit card
Cash
PayPal
Bacs transfer
Interest free finance.

Also as my treatments are expensive I offer that they can buy monthly gift vouchers for themselves over the telephone to put towards thier next treatments.

I advertise the following and my details for payment are on my website too,
Debit/credit card
Cash
PayPal
Bacs transfer
Interest free finance.

Also as my treatments are expensive I offer that they can buy monthly gift vouchers for themselves over the telephone to put towards thier next treatments.

Interest free finance????
Do you credit check them? What happens if they don't pay! Interested?

But the point is she doesn't have a card reader,(unless I have misunderstood) and neither do I. I can't imagine asking all my clients beforehand if they have brought enough cash with them. And some of my clients change their mind during the service, or I find a tear under one gel after it has been removed, so that will cost extra.
I guess what I am saying is that sometimes you just have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
You should have their details on the consultation card, so after a few weeks of not paying, I would set things in motion to take them to the small claims court.

I just make it part if my patter when they come along with can I get you a drink etc. It's just said in a general chit chat manner the way you'd confirm any treatment verbally before starting. Personally I prefer to have my clients pay directly into my account (less cash to deal with) so as so manyif them now have internet banking/phone apps it's an easy way to get it sorted without embarrassment. Personally if there's a choice between doing this and potentially having to take someone to court there's no contest. If additional costs come up like repairs I'd just say 'ok so we have a low break here we an repair that and it'll be £xx that ok for you?' It's all very light hearted and clients never mind. You wouldn't want to order off a menu without seeing the prices first and it lets them know you're not a push over.

Hi Lauren if you want a low cost card machine that may help solve this problem I'd really recommend sum up. I love it and all my clients do too!
(I think it's the novelty of using a tablet as a till!)
It's only £20 one off for the card reader which can be put down as a business expense, and the charge is only 1.9%. I guess that charge could be passed on to clients, I don't at the moment but that may change.

Just a thought, but it's helped me out when clients have had extras and didn't have enough cash x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could say at the start of the appointment something like 'ok so we're doing shellac today in one colour with glitter (or whatever specific thing they're having) that's going to be £xx, are you paying cash or would you prefer to pay by card/whatever else?' If there's any wavering you can do something about it at that point rather than having carried out the treatment

Could that work?

Honestly, I've been to therapists/hairdressers that only took cash and always said this @ the beginning of each appt and to me it sounded like they were in it for the money only... I don't know if anyone else agrees but it can come across as "tight a$$" and it's put me off multiple times. The best way I think to go about this is send a text to your clients as a appointment reminder/confirmation, I always state in the text that I only accept cash so that clients don't turn up with no cash and to avoid this whole situation. Although I do believe that this client is being cheeky I got my nails done in a salon once and didn't realise they had no eftpos terminal mid way through it, so I left my bag in the salon went to the ATM and paid.
If this ever were to happen if I've forgotten to include it in the reminder I would require the client to leave something behind.
Xx

There is never a reason for not paying. They can do a transfer via their bank using their online system. Or you can get a mobile device, izettle etc, and they can pay that way using a debit or credit card.

It shocks some of them when you suddenly say, oh that's ok I can take payment by card!

No more being messed about.

Honestly, I've been to therapists/hairdressers that only took cash and always said this @ the beginning of each appt and to me it sounded like they were in it for the money only... I don't know if anyone else agrees but it can come across as "tight a$$" and it's put me off multiple times. The best way I think to go about this is send a text to your clients as a appointment reminder/confirmation, I always state in the text that I only accept cash so that clients don't turn up with no cash and to avoid this whole situation. Although I do believe that this client is being cheeky I got my nails done in a salon once and didn't realise they had no eftpos terminal mid way through it, so I left my bag in the salon went to the ATM and paid.
If this ever were to happen if I've forgotten to include it in the reminder I would require the client to leave something behind.
Xx

But we are in it for the money, i love my job but my kids need to eat

Point them in the direction of the nearest ATM and politely say don't worry I'll look after your belongings (security) if they don't return. That's what I do. If they're genuinely coming back they won't be offended. Or do a bacs transfer most people have mobile banking. Never let a client "owe you money" x

She sent her daughter with the money this evening! Hallelujah. Xx

But we are in it for the money, i love my job but my kids need to eat

Elaine wrote " it sounded like they were in it for the money only".

I think there is a difference. Of course we all want to earn.

I once went to get my hair cut and didn't have cash on me, and didn't realise they didn't have a card reader. So I left everything I owned in the salon - coat, bag, phone, just took my card out, got the cash and came straight back. It was a genuine mistake and genuine clients won't mind leaving their bag etc in the salon whilst they get the cash.

Actual p*sstakers, now, arrgh don't get me started!

Interest free finance????
Do you credit check them? What happens if they don't pay! Interested?

Hi
I applied for a credit licence through the FSA then a broker ( I use medenta)and I process it all via online hitachi finance site. They take thier commission and deposit the funds into my bank. The finance is between the client and hitachi.

I don't know whether they pay or not hitachi deal with it all, a direct debit is taken from the clients bank account every month, the minimum spend is £350 however I have clients who regularly take out £1,500 for a years treatments up front, spreading the cost.

It is a formal credit check and I need driving licence utility bill etc but lots of my clients like the easy spread payments.

Latest posts

Back