Olaplex?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand of it (having never used it) is that you add it in without it affecting measurements (?)
However. You can use a higher peroxide for bleach and highlifts without worry of damage or overprocessing.

But as I said. I've never used it. This is my interpretation.

I've also wondered how to work it into a bleach and tone routine. Could I mix olaplex and silk lift? If I mixed it into a wella toner, should I use 6% instead of pastel? Would I still mix two to one color and developer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Olaplex & silk lift are 2 different products?

Silk lift comes as a bleach powder, developer & serum

Olaplex comes as a separate set of ingredients

It's not the peroxide or the bleach that's the kind ingredient but rather the whole lot mixed together so no you wouldn't use a silk lift developer with a wella toner, you use a wella developer and you couldn't use a olaplex developer with silk lift bleach and get the right results it has to have it's own developer system

That's not what I'm saying. I know they are different products. Olplex claims it can be used with any lightener or color.

Why couldn't I use a wella toner following a goldwell lightner?

I'm not talking about mixing them all together, but integtrating olaplex and how to do it appropriately.

You would just mix it with the bleach, not the toner and then after toning apply no. 2?

I don't think.so. I think no 2 goes on between lightener and toner.

Ah right I diddnt know it could be mixed with other stuff :)

Yeah, that's how it works.

I definitely think there's a potential insurance issue in the UK as you won't be 'following manufacturers instructions' if you add an additional ingredient to their products.

Also, my understanding is the Olaplex instructions advise using a higher level of developer than normal. I can see this wouldn't necessarily affect a lightening product but what if you wanted to add it to a tint?

As tsparker78 points out, would you no longer be able to use CT and their pastel developer or if you were planning to use a Highlift tint plus 40vol, do you try and buy some 60 vol to use instead??? :Scared:

Any US based Geeks out there who have used the product and can provide more insight for us please?

I definitely think there's a potential insurance issue in the UK as you won't be 'following manufacturers instructions' if you add an additional ingredient to their products.

Also, my understanding is the Olaplex instructions advise using a higher level of developer than normal. I can see this wouldn't necessarily affect a lightening product but what if you wanted to add it to a tint?

As tsparker78 points out, would you no longer be able to use CT and their pastel developer or if you were planning to use a Highlift tint plus 40vol, do you try and buy some 60 vol to use instead??? :Scared:

I understand they used to use 60vol. But it was removed because it can be for explosives?!

But as you said US geeks give us some info. And if there's an Olaplex rep on here that would be FAB!!

You can still buy 60 vol in the warehouses?

T sparker... Is olaplex the bleach powder or the developer in confused now or is it all called olaplex but the developer can be used with other colour houses? Am I on the right track now?

Really?! I've never seen 60vol?!

Kahuna hair, no basically Olaplex is its own entity.

It's basically 2 liquids/cremes. One you add to your colour/bleach mix. And the other you apply after I believe.

Google it. It'll be more accurate.

I did watch an April 101 video yesterday but I thought it was the developer and the powder, sorry to keep on but does olaplex have different vols then?

See it's this sort of comment that confuses me ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420491989.317530.jpg

Ok so I've watched a few videos now lmao it's nothing like silk lift! It's just a potion u add in which adds sulphur bonds to the hair which are lost during the colouring process, silk lift is a bleach and a developer and serum and replaces lipids as it develops, granted they both do leave the hair in better condition than when u start off but olaplex is definatley nothing like silk lift lol

You mix the Olaplex solution with your desired product brand whether it's lightener (SilkLift) or tint (Wella KP) and add a higher Vol of developer than if you had used the bleach/tint without the Olaplex to achieve the same level of lift..

So, if you had a client with a natural level 3 who wanted to be Platinum. You'd have to bleach the hair more than once (say, lightener plus 30vol) and hope it didn't disintegrate the hair on subsequent applications.

When you add Olaplex to the lightener, you have to increase the strength of the developer for it to produce the same degree of lift but it shouldn't cause any damage to the hair, apparently.

So, if you'd originally use bleach plus 30vol, then according to the info I've read, it says you need to increase the strength of the developer when mixed with Olaplex (in this case 40vol) in order for it to produce the same result, but without causing breakage to the hair.

Hope this makes more sense?

AcidPerm yeah that does make sense.
The Olaplex dilutes the developer so you'd need a stronger one. But. You can bleach over bleach without snapping...
I love this idea I want to be seriously ice white and I throw out far too much warmth!

You can purchase it on olaplex's shopify untl they launch over here

If using olaplex you must remember to up the developer to achieve your desired lift and also develop for a longer development time as it does slow the process slightly. That said it does give amazing results in damaged hair you would usually be reluctant to touch with bleach! There was an interesting post on here a while ago about the science behind it and how exactly it works, if I find it I'll try post the link :)

T sparker... Is olaplex the bleach powder or the developer in confused now or is it all called olaplex but the developer can be used with other colour houses? Am I on the right track now?

Sorry. Wasn't ignoring the question. But I think it's been answered already.

Latest posts

Back