(old NVQ) A1 Assessor Award

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel17

Reaction score
I am a qualified beauty therapist for many years and am looking to train as an assessor. Can I ask has anyone done this course? Thank you

I'm also intrigued to hear answers too:)

I'm a qualified FE teacher and completed this course at the college. Perhaps contact your local college and ask if they run this course as an evening course?

The A1 assessor course? (sorry I don't understand what you mean by old NVQ) Yes I have done it, however they have recently changed the course into 3 units instead of the whole assessor award. What would you like to know?

Hi
My husband - who does this for a living - advises contacting your local FE college and private training providers. HTH

I have recently completed PTTLS and wanted to do an assessor course.
I contacted my local College to enquire about the assessors award and the person I spoke to was quite vague, he said it wasn't straight forward as I had to be working in FE to be able to take the course and then with the help of a mentor it would take about 18 months to complete.

I don't feel any clearer on the details of the course so if anyone does have any more information it would be really helpful.

Husband now gone to bed, but I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.
Maybe try the private companies?

I have found a good company but I was just wondering if people were getting any work as the course is expensive

We provide and teach this course to new assessors so I am very familiar with it.

It is called the "level 3 certificate in assessing vocational achievement".

There are 3 units that need to be completed. One is the theory of understanding the roles and rules of assessment (you also do this in the Pttls course, so if you already have Pttls you do not need to repeat this unit).

The other 2 units concentrate on 2 different areas. One is assessing in the workplace (i.e. watching someone do the job and deciding they have met the requirements) and the other is assessing other types of work (such as assignments, homework, written work, projects, classroom based learning etc.)

In order to complete the course you must already be qualified to Level 3 of your chosen career and have relevant industry experience. You also need access to a minimum of 2 students who are currently working towards achieving their NVQ in your chosen field (such as beauty or hairdressing) as you will need to assess them and mark their work etc.

What we find as a training provider is that most people cannot get access to the 2 students, or do not have enough relevant industry experience.

To combat this, we usually provide 2 students of our own for the person to assess while they are doing the course. We also let them come into the center as often as they like to shadow our teachers and assessors so that they really understand the ins and outs of how the NVQ system works. For instance, whilst this will be familiar to some of you, terms such as "holisitic assessment" (has nothing to do with beauty, candles, relaxation or dolphin music by the way), "range", "knowledge", "learning style", "formative", "summative", "CPD", "reasonable adjustments", "IV", "EV", "QCF", "Professional Discussion", "Credit Value", "GLH", "Standardisation" etc. must all be learned and understood completely in order to achieve your assessors award. It really is like a whole new world once you get into education.

And once you achieved your assessors award, you have to prove that you have worked for at least 30 minimum hours in your industry alongside others each year to keep the certificate and the right to assess. This can be working in a salon with others, attending courses by companies etc. but it must be done and recorded. When we have mobile therapists and mobile stylists do the course with us, we usually offer them at least 20 hours guaranteed in a real salon throughout the year and we also offer to get them tickets or places on courses we are attending with large companies such as L'Oreal so that they can remain qualified as an assessor.

Hope that helps.

:)

Wow thank you so much for all the information - its very much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back