Olive Oil as Hair Mask?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baby11

Reaction score
I have heard you can use olive oil as a good hair mask for dry/damaged hair, is this correct?

I have dry/damaged/oily hair and was thinking of trying it. Good/bad idea?

Have you tried it?

Thanks

me and my boss both used extra virgin olive oil for dry scalps, jus kind amassaged it into a dry scalp then after an hour put shampoo onto the dry hair and massaged that in then rinsed and shampooed as normal after that, ous scalps certainly improved. . . for dry hair it sounds mingin but as far as foodstuffs on ur hair is concerned, mayonaisse works. . . lol not very proffesional, i know, but i do think u shud try a hair mask that is actually a product instead. . . (ps a mushed up avocado also does hair wonders lol, oh im bad for breaking the rules haha)

Back in the dark ages when I was a child:green: we used olive oil on dry hair, washed out with baby shampoo, beer or vinegar to make hair shine, raw egg for overall good condition (just don't use very hot water when rinsing because it will cook the egg)
I for one am very grateful that I can now buy pro products, they are a lot more effective and smell a whole lot better too:lol:

I think I will stick to a 'normal' hair mask lol I was recommended Osmo?

Hi baby , yes I think that would be a good idea too :) although olive oil is a lovely oil, and as scottydolly says it would be good for the scalp,
but it may be a bit heavy for the hair and just lay on the top of it and not penetrate as well as the professional ones that have been specially made for the purpose :hug:

Very true, I never thought of it that way lol

Well I am sat here with Ojon on my hair (using the last bit) and to top it off I am wearing a fetching shower cap lol

Hi,

I always advise my clients for a cheap condition treatment with olive oil. I tell them to massage olkive oil to the hair and scalp, put the shower cap on for a half an hour and then rinse it off with a mild shampoo which is made for dry hair.
I think where professional products are good, no doubt about that, there still arte things manufactred, that are good ebough to use. Professional products do have lots of chemicals in them and everyone is not a fan of those. Olive oil is a good home trick , and mayonnaise too. I tell to my clients to get a hair mayonnaise from the afro shop. because they are reasonable priced and good for a dry crispy hair.

:green:

thanks i still might have a try

i have bleached highlighted hair that is quite fine and ive applied olive oil and avacardo mixed together and it really makes my hair shiney.its not something i do often but i didnt find it weighed my hair down or made it greasier quicker,im lucky that even though i wear my hair down all the time i only have to wash my hair about twice a week so i didnt find it a problem and is something that i will do again when i get the chance.x

I have oily hair, coloured, with dry ends (from having hair dyed). I like to use a mix of 1 part soyabean oil (good for oily skin/hair) & 2 parts caster oil. Apply to dry hair, leave in for 15mins then rinse out or wash hair per usual. :green:

I actually prefer Walnut Oil as a alternative home conditioning treatment, I mix it with a few essential oils for whatever scalp condition you have.

Walnut Oil 25ml (1 oz)
*Any of the listed oils work for one scalp issue you don't have to use them all together.
7 - 25 drops Rosemary, Chamomile - Normal Hair & Scalp
9 - 25 drops Cedarwood, Patchouli, Clary Sage - Oily Hair & Scalp
9 - 25 drops Lavender, sandalwood, ylang yalng - Dry Hair & Scalp

Massage in, leave on for 30 min, then shampoo out.

Hi Ashes ,welcome to salon geek ,
I think your recipe sounds wonderful thank you for sharing :hug:

Latest posts

Back