Ombré manicure, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisasnails

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Please help me a client want this done to her nails I can see its orly nail polishes which is cool but have tried creating this look with some polishes and a sponge after seeing some tutorials on you tube but it doesn't look as perfect as this! Tried 3 different types of sponges and still couldn't get a perfect look, it looked cool but not as clean as this if anyone could help me I would appreciate it :) p.s all the videos I have seen don't look like this either grr

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344924129.940820.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344924129.940820.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,998
Hi geeks

Please help me a client want this done to her nails I can see its orly nail polishes which is cool but have tried creating this look with some polishes and a sponge after seeing some tutorials on you tube but it doesn't look as perfect as this! Tried 3 different types of sponges and still couldn't get a perfect look, it looked cool but not as clean as this if anyone could help me I would appreciate it :) p.s all the videos I have seen don't look like this either grr
You can get a perfect fade if you use shellac and pigments. You can also mix up your own colours im sure you can make those colours or pretty close to that. I will go and have a play later and if I manage it I'll post pic on here.

You cannot get a seamless colour fade like that image, using polish and a sponge; end of story.

The only way to achieve it is by airbrushing or by using Additives pure pigments and effects mixed to the shades you want.

You can get a perfect fade if you use shellac and pigments. You can also mix up your own colours im sure you can make those colours or pretty close to that. I will go and have a play later and if I manage it I'll post pic on here.

Thank you I got some additives finally :) they arrived here only could afford 3 had a bit of a play with the blue over tutti fruiti but it looked a bit too faded and I think she was wanting those exact colours hmmm frustrating as other art I can normally get after a at but this still doesn't look as clean fade as this

You cannot get a seamless colour fade like that image, using polish and a sponge; end of story.

The only way to achieve it is by airbrushing or by using Additives pure pigments and effects mixed to the shades you want.

Thanks gigi I thought this must be the case but it has two orly nail posh colours do you think it is airbrushed? And how do you do that? I got the blue additive and two others as couldn't quite afford them all just now had a play but I obviously cant do it like this just yet :( bit bummed as everything else people ask I can normally do

Thanks gigi I thought this must be the case but it has two orly nail posh colours do you think it is airbrushed? And how do you do that? I got the blue additive and two others as couldn't quite afford them all just now had a play but I obviously cant do it like this just yet :( bit bummed as everything else people ask I can normally do
That photo has been retouched if that was done with polish ... No way! Lol

You can't airbrush with polish .. Only acrylic paints. Misleading photo for sure.

Honestly, a few practise tips and you will be away with the additives. So quick and MUCH less messy than polish .. no cleanup necessary at all really.

Lay down your base colour of Shellac (say, hotski) And cure the two coats. Then take a soft eye shadow brush, works some of the blue additive into the brush in the lid of you blue additive and pick up a small amount in the brush. Then stipple, don't brush, the pigment onto the tacky surface and extend. Down the sides a bit. Brush softly with a clean brush, any excess pigment off the top and top coat. You will love it. You could also use pink for your base colour instead of hotski, for a more dynamic contrast in colours.

Later when you have more, you can mix your pigments to form different colours altogether.

Yesterday I did my nails with Tropix and then used the red at the cuticle area and down the sides and then yellow over the rest using more at the tip. Result a hot sizzling summer colour fade from red-orange to yellow-orange. :)

Last edited:
That photo has been retouched if that was done with polish ... No way! Lol

You can't airbrush with polish .. Only acrylic paints. Misleading photo for sure.

Honestly, a few practise tips and you will be away with the additives.

Lay down your base colour of Shellac (say, hotski) And cure the two coats. Then take a soft eye shadow brush, works some of the blue additive into the brush in the lid of you blue additive and pick up a small amount in the brush. Then stipple, don't brush, the pigment onto the tacky surface and extend. Down the sides a bit. Brush softly with a clean brush, any excess pigment off the top and top coat. You will love it. You could also use pink for your base colour instead of hotski, for a more dynamic contrast in colours.

Later when you have more, you can mix your pigments to form different colours altogether.

Yesterday I did my nails with Tropix and then used the red at the cuticle area and down the sides and then yellow over the rest using more at the tip. Result a hot sizzling summer colour fade from red-orange to yellow-orange. :)

Ah great thanks for these tips :) I got the blue, yellow (as it made tropix go orange) which is pretty cool and the pink/gold effect will prob get pink, red and another next time :) and have a big play! Need to watch some additive tutorials on you tube I'm such a visual learner ha ha

Would love to see a picture if at all possible this sounds beautiful, my additives are arriving today or tomorrow hopefully can't wait to have a play :hug:

Would love to see a picture if at all possible this sounds beautiful

I was about to say the same, we never see pictures of your nails Gigi, would LOVE to :) :hug: That sounds gorgeous!

I was about to say the same, we never see pictures of your nails Gigi, would LOVE to :) :hug: That sounds gorgeous!

That's because I think my old bent and gnarled nail tech hands are not the prettiest to display to the world ... lol and also because I'm pants at the photo thing but I will try to get one with my phone for ya'll to see.

Yay ... did it!

picture.php

Last edited:
Hi geeks

Hi, i Did these with a sponge, Barry m & orly nail polishes.
I have seen some fabulous ombre nails on instagram that girls have done with regular polish. So in my opinion it is possible, yet doesn't work for me all the time and some polishes are easier to do it with than others. .xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344947021.902430.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344947021.902430.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,251
That's because I think my old bent and gnarled nail tech hands are not the prettiest to display to the world ... lol and also because I'm pants at the photo thing but I will try to get one with my phone for ya'll to see.

Yay ... did it!

picture.php

Lovely colour! Wish I could see it more up close but from what I can see I love it. And great photo :wink2: :D

Here's an ombre Shellac I did. I like the ombre affect but I've never been able to achieve perfect seamlessness. But I think that's what's so fun about the ombre affect in the first place.

picture.php

Hey just reading posts!! What are these additives you speak of?? :) sounds fab

Hey just reading posts!! What are these additives you speak of?? :) sounds fab

The CND additives are pure pigments and effects that you can use in a variety of ways from making your own coloured powders or gels or with Shellac on the surface to produce different colours and designs.

Additives are great fun and really allow you to be your OWN artist and of course using them in controlled amounts without waste means they are much better value to the professional than buying pre-mixed products that often sit on the shelf for months waiting for someone to choose them. HTH

Hi just to let you know that photo is advertised on Beauty Express site showing the two polish bottles and says 'create your own Ombre nails' so maybe contact Grafton suppliers of Orly to ask how they get that effect - it ought to be possible if they are advertising the fact really

I'm thinking that is a re-touched photo too :-S

Doesn't look quite right to me. Very pretty colour combo though, and I'm sure a very similar effect can be achieved with Additives or mica powders.

xx

Hi, i Did these with a sponge, Barry m & orly nail polishes.
I have seen some fabulous ombre nails on instagram that girls have done with regular polish. So in my opinion it is possible, yet doesn't work for me all the time and some polishes are easier to do it with than others. .xx

Wow those look really cool! Thanks for sharing I need to practise but more my one I did the other night didn't fade too well was just playing around ha ha looks nothing like the photo :( looked at some airbrushed nails on YouTube and it gives it more that perfect look! Ahh well

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344991520.170708.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344991520.170708.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 249

Latest posts

Back