Ombré nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalou061987

Reaction score
Had a client request ombré nails. Never attempted it but have watched many a video in the past. Just wondering what technique you guys use! Thinking to do it with acrylic paint and a sponge

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I use a tenet bit of sponge that's been torn off. Got my tips and tricks from the fingernail fixer video :) x

That was meant to say tiny! Grr

I use acrylic paints for mine too, and I cut up latex make up sponges into roughly 1cm chunks, or just about big enough to do the length of the nail in one press so all I need to do is move from side to side to build up the colour.
I hold the sponge with tweezers because I'm allergic to latex, but I've noticed since that this actually helps me to not smudge the paint as I'm going along :)
Hope that helpful.

Additives are the easiest way to achieve this look in my opinion. I use them all the time and love them :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396469368.653969.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396469377.799161.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396469390.950894.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396469405.199989.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396469418.008075.jpg

These r lovely xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

There lovely but I don't use additives or gel polishes

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I use acrylic paints for mine too, and I cut up latex make up sponges into roughly 1cm chunks, or just about big enough to do the length of the nail in one press so all I need to do is move from side to side to build up the colour.
I hold the sponge with tweezers because I'm allergic to latex, but I've noticed since that this actually helps me to not smudge the paint as I'm going along :)
Hope that helpful.

Love the idea of using a bigger sponge to do the whole nail. Will have to try this!

Oh my goodness, I cannot do ombré nails no matter how many layers or times I try. I'm using shellac and will paint 3 stripes on the sponge, press on the nail and it's one big mess - just one random colour. I've watched video after video but I just don't know why it never works 😔 may have to try additives!

Oh my goodness, I cannot do ombré nails no matter how many layers or times I try. I'm using shellac and will paint 3 stripes on the sponge, press on the nail and it's one big mess - just one random colour. I've watched video after video but I just don't know why it never works 😔 may have to try additives!

Try doing one colour at a time n where you want the colours to over lap dab really lightly that's what I do not tried it with shellac though xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397511250.610221.jpg
I did this with three gel colours and I started with the purple at the cuticle area and slightly blended it down and I use a swiping brush movement across the nail and add the other colours after each cure if that makes sense

Also I find pigments really easy for a fade design

Sorry to sound silly but how do I do it with pigments?

I use the CND additives. Haven't mastered the whole sponging technique! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397550294.411261.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397550314.151351.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397550334.172373.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397550354.606502.jpg

Sorry to sound silly but how do I do it with pigments?

It's really simple you can probably find YouTube videos on it, but I use a make up brush and gently dab some pigment or additives (teeny bit!!!) And dab it into the tacky layer

I see you have calgel! How do you find it? I'm considering getting some training with calgel but I'm unsure

I love Calgel. Very easy to use and work with. Great colours. Pretty much Best product I've ever worked with! Great training too and their customer service is amazing!

Is this look achieveable by sponging gel polish onto the nails or does it only really work with acrylic paints?

Is this look achieveable by sponging gel polish onto the nails or does it only really work with acrylic paints?

I use the CND additives. Once the 2 layers of colour are done use a dry hard brush to dab a little of the additive into the sticky layer then seal with the clear. I think you can sponge with gel polish. Watched a vid on YouTube of the fingernail fixer before and it looks so easy but I've never been able to Master it!!!

Sorry what are CND additives?

x

Latest posts

Back