OMG, Tesco to offer beauty treatments in store

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the Tesco in Leicester has a hair salon (I think I saw it there, but then again there all the same so could of been on my travels!)

It was tucked away behind the make up/toiletries section. It was so weird to see! I look left, I see lettuces, I look right, I see a blow-dry going on!

There is also a Brow Bar outside, nothing to do with tesco, it's inside a big shopping centre. Now I really have a thing against these brow places plonked in the middle of shopping centres. Imagine it at Christmas, how relaxing!

Yes just read an article on the Daily Mail site from Feb this year, Leicester and Chesterfield were the first 2.

Apparently you also get clubcard points lmao!

A while ago one of the Tesco's near me did eyebrow threading/eyelash flash tinting and express manicures etc.... I did used to get my eyebrows done for a fiver, and I must say the girl was good, I didn't have to book, and could keep on top if them everytime I went to get my shopping ....

It wasnt in a separate room, actually it was by the entrance for all to see... Lol, but I didn't mind I had great eyebrows for a while !!

BUT, they've stopped now, clearly it didn't work !!! So wouldn't worry too much !!

Can you imagine the average beauty therapist putting up with Tesco terms and conditions of service? I'm sure that Tesco don't muck about putting up with whiny staff either!
Not somewhere that looks good on your CV

I gather with Tesco, you get told your hours, no negotiation. You get told your pay. You wear exactly what they say, you say what they tell you to say, and they are pretty ruthless the way their HR operate.
I think they only bothered with salons to get their hands on the pro products. I cant see them making much per square foot from eyebrow tidies and blow dries.

If people bought only on price there would be no Waitrose, or Tesco Finest, come to that.
People will buy from you because of your expertise, your professionalism and for the personal service.
People who want a quick lash tint etc, are they your type of customer anyway? They're certainly not mine!

They have just opened a mahoosive new Tesco in Dudley. It has a small salon, hair and beauty, run by Regis. It's Regis staff from other branches, who can go back to their old jobs if it's a flop (so I've been told by a Regis therapist). It's just sectioned off with a few small glass walls. Not my thing, but I can see its advantages for someone who struggles for child care, they can do it all in one. I wouldn't worry too much. People often stick with a therapist because they like them personally.

Their beauty dept was a bit like a dept store. They had a few staff on counters offering makeovers.

I heard it on my local radio station and it said that Tesco were trying out in their Bury store first, sounds like they are already doing it.
Actually, thinking back, I'm sure my mum took me to a hairdressers in Morrisons when I was young.
They get their teeth into everything, food, clothes, loans, insurance and now beauty. Sickens me!

Can you imagine the average beauty therapist putting up with Tesco terms and conditions of service? I'm sure that Tesco don't muck about putting up with whiny staff either!
Not somewhere that looks good on your CV

I gather with Tesco, you get told your hours, no negotiation. You get told your pay. You wear exactly what they say, you say what they tell you to say, and they are pretty ruthless the way their HR operate.
I think they only bothered with salons to get their hands on the pro products. I cant see them making much per square foot from eyebrow tidies and blow dries.

Actually Tesco used to be one of the best employers to work for. They had little rules and regs that a lot of people didn't know about that made it a great place to be an employee. For example, if you put in a holiday request, they had to respond to it within 7 days. If they didn't, you automatically got it off.

Some people have 'flexible' contracts now where you're told your hours kinda last minute, but on the whole they are very good with hours.

Also they are much better than a lot of places when it comes to working bank holidays too, whereas where I currently work part time (a 'higher end' food store) they rip you off!

If people bought only on price there would be no Waitrose, or Tesco Finest, come to that.
People will buy from you because of your expertise, your professionalism and for the personal service.
People who want a quick lash tint etc, are they your type of customer anyway? They're certainly not mine!

So true, in all area's of shopping theres cheap and cheerful, and 'need a second mortgage' type brands. I suppose its no different than your in and out £15 full set acrylics, and most of those in my town are still around, but so are the more expensive end aswell.

I can see the plus side of it for maintenance treatments. Especially if that person is busy etc. But imagine having a relaxing treatment like a back massage then stepping out into the hustle and bustle! Although saying that it's not that much different from stepping out into a busy high street?

So, to do threading , lashes in the middle of a shopping centre like Bluewater etc is ok, teeth whitening is also fine but doing the same things in Tesco isn't good?

So, to do threading , lashes in the middle of a shopping centre like Bluewater etc is ok, teeth whitening is also fine but doing the same things in Tesco isn't good?

...no, it's not fine. I dislike those too. As, I'm sure, do alot of others on here.

I don't like the thought of having a hair removal service done in a shopping mall where theres probably hundreds of thousands of people every day, breathing their germs in the air. It's gross.

...no, it's not fine. I dislike those too. As, I'm sure, do alot of others on here.

I don't like the thought of having a hair removal service done in a shopping mall where theres probably hundreds of thousands of people every day, breathing their germs in the air. It's gross.

Plus it's not the best to work in either. I like the relaxing part of doing the treatment in peace and quiet.

I guess ppl will be using Tesco vouchers to pay also!! LOL
mmmm imagine it now.....

"Just nipping to tescos to get my hails done love"
I can guess many husbands/BF's and Partners thinking christ it takes long enough to get around tescos to do the shopping let alone bloomin beauty treatments

To be honest at the end of the day only clients decide where to go to Tesco, Asda, Spa beauty salon and etc.

Funny to read this. How much of any kind of germs in the salons? Do you go for shopping, do you go out? :smack:

Funny to read this. How much of any kind of germs in the salons? Do you go for shopping, do you go out? :smack:

You are missing the point completely. In a salon, your equipment is more protected. Even down to your towels and cotton wool. If its in an open shopping centre, think of the germs that have landed on your stuff which you then put on someone's skin to remove hairs. Open follicles, germs, gross.

There is a threading bar in my local westfield mall, situated right below a balcony. I can't begin to imagine the amount of teeny tiny saliva beads from coughs and sneezes that must fall onto that everyday. coughs and sneezes spread diseases!

Thankfully we have very efficient immune systems to deal with such environmental pollutants. I'd be more put off by the lack of privacy and ambience than by the germs!

It was only a matter of time! I'm sure some people will use it but, talking to clients and friends, I know a lot who think it's ridiculous and would never go. It's another great reason for everyone, if they're not doing so already, to make the whole package of each treatment they do (from client arrival to leaving) as perfect as possible. People who want relaxation and privacy won't go to tesco for a treatment.

When I saw this it reminded me that I'd come across something very similar when I lived in LOndon. Only took a couple of mins to find it.....So read the attached: Note the date must be some time BEFORE 2000: Our business has only grown since then...

THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE THAT I FOUND ON THE INTERNET

BOOTS LAUNCHES HEALTH AND BEAUTY EXPERIENCE

Boots announced today two developments that will significantly extend its range of health, beauty and wellbeing services, first within Boots The Chemists stores and then in free-standing, purpose-built centres.

"Health and Beauty experience" stores

The first two "health and beauty experience" stores will open at Kensington High Street and Milton Keynes in September 2000. In addition to Boots full selection of products, the stores will offer a wide range of new services and treatments, with experts on hand to advise on everything from stress management to pedicure.

Ken Piggott, managing director of Boots The Chemists, said: "This will really be the first complete health and beauty experience in the High Street, combining products, services and treatments in one place. We will be able to offer our customers everything from manicures and facials to consultations with homeopaths, osteopaths and herbalists."

Boots is further extending its involvement in the health, beauty and fitness market with the Body360 opening of two stand-alone centres offering exercise and swimming facilities alongside a fully integrated range of health, beauty and lifestyle products and services. The Boots Body360 centres will open in two locations in Spring 2001.

The centre will include pools, fitness studios and a range of lifestyle treatments such as stress management, help with giving up smoking, meditation and healthy weight management.

Ken Piggott added: "There is huge interest in a `whole life' approach to health, beauty and wellbeing and Boots is uniquely positioned as the trusted provider to meet this growing need. The focus of Boots Body360 will be on offering the combination of activities and treatments that meet individual needs. Lifestyle Advisers will help each member get the most out of life by getting the most out of their membership of the centre."

Notes to Editors:

1. Health and Beauty Experience

Locations: High Street Kensington, Milton Keynes - opening September 2000 Jobs: 53 Services: health services include homeopathy, herbalism, physiotherapy, osteopathy, nutritionist, chiropody, aromatherapy, reflexology, laser hair removal. Beauty services include facials, massage, false tan, ear piercing, pedicure, manicure, nail bar, head and neck massage, make-overs. Lifestyle advice on weight management, smoking, sleep management, relaxation, stress management.

2. Boots Body360 Centres

Locations: Greater London (location to be announced), Northwich (Leicester Street) - opening Spring 2001 Jobs: 132 Services: as above plus additional facilities: exercise studio, gym, swimming pool, hairdressing, sauna and spa, children's facilities, cafe bar. Membership: competitively priced, details to be announced. Membership fees will earn Advantage Card points Corporate and family membership. Day guest membership. Treatments available to non-members. Benefits: Personal advice from Lifestyle Advisers for members and free fitness assessment with an activity adviser. Unlimited use of gym, pool and classes including aerobics, Tai Chi, yoga etc. Unlimited use of sauna and steam room. Financials: Revenue from membership fees, treatments, products sales and ancillary services e.g. creche, hairdressing, cafe.

3. Advantage Card

Advantage Card points may be redeemed against products and services at Health and Beauty Experience and Body360. Membership fees will earn Advantage Card points at the standard rate of four points per £1.

4. Current Services

Opticians - 146 practices in Boots stores, 152 stand-alone; Dentalcare - 6 practices, 44 new practices by Spring 2001; Chiropody - 6 in-store practices

5. The Leisure market

The value of the fitness marketing in the UK is £1 billion. The beauty services market is worth £300m.

The UK fitness market is expanding. Currently 6% of the UK population have active membership compared to 12% in the USA.

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Boots

Latest posts

Back