Onycholysis on my 7 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
Wonder if someone can give me some advice.

My 7 year old daughter trapped her thumb in the car door about 5 weeks ago. She is obviously going to loose her nail. There is severe onycholysis of most of the thumb nail.

The problem is, where it is growing out, it is catching and shes really afraid shes going to rip it off:eek:!

I've filed it down, but its still looking very vunerable, and, of course, they're back in school next week.

What do any of you think about me putting a coat of gel to protect it?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. :green:

Cut it down as far as you can or...if its too sore to do that maybe keep a plaster on it? (but watch out for bacterial infections keeping it covered / dark and moist etc. could the docs maybe remove it?

AMb x

Thanks for the reply hun. The lifting is actually at the base of her nail, its still attached at the free edge. You can see the new nail growing underneath.

I was a little worried about overlaying it in something because of bacterial growth.

Thanks for the reply hun. The lifting is actually at the base of her nail, its still attached at the free edge. You can see the new nail growing underneath.

I was a little worried about overlaying it in something because of bacterial growth.

OUCH !!!

nope i wouldnt do anything other than maybe keep it short and possibly put a plaster on it then i am SURE it will come off soon enough.

Amb x

Thanks hun. You confirmed what I thought.:green:

I had a client yesterday that had this on her big toe (she stubbed it weeks ago) but hers is the other way round, it's still attached at the base of her nail and lifted 90% of the rest from the free edge.

I advised her to go to GP, was this correct?

Latest posts

Back