Opening a new salon, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albarn

Reaction score
hi looking in to opening a hair and beauty salon i do beauty, my colleage does hair, but need advice is there anything we need to do in particular, do we need to notify the council etc thanks in advance.

Hi did you find out what are the requirements? I'm interested too? :)

Hi,

I recently opened my own salon from scratch. I have never owned a salon before, and was mobile before, so it was a big step for me! Its a lot of hard work, sweat and tears but it can be rewarding. I don't know everything and am still learning things about owning a salon, sort of trial and error, but wanted to wish you luck and list a few things that you need to think about.

There are loads of things to think about and that you need to look into.

First, find a property. I know this seems like a no brainer, but like you said in your question - some councils require you to register your business, but others don't. I live between 2 towns, with different postcodes - go one way and the council require you to register, go the other and the council don't! So before you contact the council, you need to know which council your salon will come under.

Also, as soon as you take over the property, make sure you have a copy of your lease and take all the meter readings for gas and electric. Another problem I had - the previous shop tenant had left without paying their bills and I had to prove the meter readings and exactly when I took over the property to make sure I wasn't the previous tenant occupying under a different name.

The next important thing is salon insurance. You'll need to chck with your landlord whether you need to insure the building or just the contents, and also youll need cover for any work you have paid for. I spent £4K on fitting the shop out, which included having rooms built for sunbeds, beauty rooms etc. Make sure you have cover for this built in so that (god forbid) the shop burns down you get the money back to refit the shop, not just rebuild the building and replace furniture. Also, again I know its a no brainer wih insurance, but shop around the first few quotes I received were like £6 - 700 per year, but I got a quote with Simply Business who compare insurers and they gave me 3 quotes - one for £575, one for £550 and another with Zurich for £275! So it pays to shop around! You'll need to know exactly what services you are going to provide as they will ask; my insurance was higher because I have sunbeds, likewise if you want to offer botox or fillers price goes up again. Make sure you get insurance in place asap as well so that you're covered while any building work etc is taking place and especially when you start moving furniture, stock and equipment in.

Signs - make sure they are up before you open! This was a mistake I made. I was so preoccupied trying to get the inside finished so I could open on time that I left the signage til a week before opening, which I didn't think would be a problem as I was promised it would be ready in 4 days - as it turned out it took longer than 4 days, I didn't have a sign until my 2nd week of being open. I had had leaflets delivered to the local area and I had people phoning saying they couldn't find it and took no passing trade as people automatically don't think you're open if you don't have a sign- I had signs in the window displaying special offers etc and even though I was sat at the reception desk you could see people look in the window, look up, see no sign and walk off! Trade definitely picked up after the sign went up!

They're the only really important things I can think of atm - hope it has helped and good luck!! xx

Great bit of advice thank you. I am taking over a salon in September once I get back from my honeymoon.

Latest posts

Back