OPI Axxium damaging?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlaxox

Reaction score
i have been using opi axxium gel polish since November last year, i understand anything artificial on the nail is damaging to a certain extent but my trainer has told me opi axxium isn't damaging but i have regular clients that have it ever 2 weeks and i have to tell them to give their nails a rest because they go really dry, thinning and very soft,. i don't think the removal helps but has anyone got any tips? or is it just the gel polish?

i have been using opi axxium gel polish since November last year, i understand anything artificial on the nail is damaging to a certain extent but my trainer has told me opi axxium isn't damaging but i have regular clients that have it ever 2 weeks and i have to tell them to give their nails a rest because they go really dry, thinning and very soft,. i don't think the removal helps but has anyone got any tips? or is it just the gel polish?

I've been using Axxium for a long time with no problems. Are you making sure that your carrying out correct removal procedure? The only times I've seen thinning and actual damage to the nails is when other therapists have tried scraping the polish off.
What's your removal technique? I have found the nails can be a little dry when clients continue wearing the Axxium long term but I don't have a problem with them being very soft or thin.
Are the clients picking the product off or trying to remove with acetone themselves at home?

I am removing them correctly like I was taught I file the seal to break it wrap them in cotton pads with expert touch an wrap then in foil an I use heated mitts do the heat lifts them off the nail better. I don't scrap it off I use a nail file to remove. I do tell clients to not pick it off as it pulls the natural nail with it is this how you remove them?

I am removing them correctly like I was taught I file the seal to break it wrap them in cotton pads with expert touch an wrap then in foil an I use heated mitts do the heat lifts them off the nail better. I don't scrap it off I use a nail file to remove. I do tell clients to not pick it off as it pulls the natural nail with it is this how you remove them?

Never file it off the natural nail EVER. This WILL lead to alot of damage.

Hth

I do think your thread title is misleading and unfair to OPI when it is clear that YOUR filing of the product is what is doing the damage to your clients nails.

Very surprised that you needed to ask the question when the answer should be so obvious to any trained nail technician.

The dehydration of your clients nails, as well as the thinning and softness that you mention, are ALL due to incorrect removal using a file. I do not believe that filing would be correct OPI protocol for removing their product. We're you trained by OPI in this method of removal?

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to file anything after you've broken the seal. If you've broken the seal correctly, 10 minutes (with or without mitts) would be enough. You remove the wraps one at a time. They should be very cracked and flakey (like old paint chips ready to peel off the wall). You can use a pusher or stick to help the product off. It should come off easy so you don't have to scrape it off. If you find it's not coming off easy, during application, keep the base coat thin and even.

Just joined Salon Geek and thanks for your tip of keeping base coat thin if having trouble removing Axxiums.

I find that sometime the Axxium peels off correctly and other times it is really difficult to budge.

When using a smaller amount of base coat I find the brush marks are left on the nail - help, what am I doing wrong?

Also struggling with infills, always seem to be able to see the line especially when doing French.

Many thanks

Latest posts

Back