OPI Gelcolor, help needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterflyRoom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Would really appreciate some help please! I've previously worked with shellac and found it to be great really easy to get on with, and the staying power on a majority of clients fab! But in setting up my own at home business decided to go with OPI who I've always loved I do a full range of beauty treatments and so added the gelcolor at the end of march, this bit I know I'll be slammed for but when I first got the system in I decided not to sign up to one of the workshops as I felt I'd be fine being confident in shellac and never having had a problem I know they are different systems one being a gel the other a hybrid but from what I could gather the technique seemed pretty much the same I've now found this to be a mistake as I just can't get the gelcolor to stay on people's nails and I'm really losing my confidence with it, so I'm not sure what to do I've spent so much money on it and really need to make it work I've now booked for the nxt workshop I could but not until July was there any spaces! any suggestions from anyone that could help, constructive comments pls i know i was foolish to think i'd be fine! help!

Hi everyone,
Would really appreciate some help please! I've previously worked with shellac and found it to be great really easy to get on with, and the staying power on a majority of clients fab! But in setting up my own at home business decided to go with OPI who I've always loved I do a full range of beauty treatments and so added the gelcolor at the end of march, this bit I know I'll be slammed for but when I first got the system in I decided not to sign up to one of the workshops as I felt I'd be fine being confident in shellac and never having had a problem I know they are different systems one being a gel the other a hybrid but from what I could gather the technique seemed pretty much the same I've now found this to be a mistake as I just can't get the gelcolor to stay on people's nails and I'm really losing my confidence with it, so I'm not sure what to do I've spent so much money on it and really need to make it work I've now booked for the nxt workshop I could but not until July was there any spaces! any suggestions from anyone that could help, constructive comments pls i

know i was foolish to think i'd be fine! help!

Hi Hun

I won't slam you at all after all I've not trained with them either but have trained in shellac.

Ok this is what I do.

Pep. Don't wet nail do a dry but very thorough prep. CND curette is a must for this.

Scrub fresh or NAS 99 on a lint free wipe. VERY IMPORTANT scrub the nail and free edge and look at it make sure it goes White sort of and dehydrated but don't soak the pad so you get the wipe wet. Just damp the pad.

Apply bond aid liberally including the free edge.

Apply base coat I put plenty on then sort of wipe off to make sure I've covered every bit of the nail p,ate. If you don't do this you will get shrinkage at the cuticle, sidewalls and free edge. Cure.

Colour coat. Make sure you have really shook the bottle well this makes a difference. Apply first coat again I cover entire nail and sort of wipe off.
Cure.

Second coat I do a full normal coat and cure.

Top coat again shake very well. Then apply liberally wipe off excess and cure.
You will probably get a slight tinge of colour on the pad but not too much.

See if this helps. But when you apply bond aid watch the nail go White Hun.
This ensures it is properly dehydrated and there is no grease present.

Good luck contact me if you don't have any luck. Xxxx

Thank-you so much I've been in a salon for over 10yrs and am really trying to make a go of things from home but it's such early days and now I'm starting to worry as I try to be so thorough and provide the best service possible and don't want a bad rep from this at the beginning of everything! I've been trying to apply all the coats really thin as this was how I've always been advised could this be a problem could they be to thin so not providing enough protection??
🌸

Latest posts

Back