Opportunity!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Reaction score
Hey ladies/gents, have mentioned some things about my past and need some advice about my future! So, 5 years ago I worked on a make up counter in a department store, at the time I was going through depression and was in a bad place so my reliability was slack. I loved working on counter, the ladies, the make up, the sales, application... The list is endless. My counter manager wasn't a great role model. The beauty manager was awful... A face like she permanently sucks on lemons and had no relationship with me as her employee, anytime I tried to speak with her she wasn't interested. Most of the girls felt the same. Since then things are good, I have a great partner and kids and have had jobs in Boots, and Fenwicks as a beauty and fragrance consultant and have got the most amazing feedback about my sales and approach. I have been waiting for something to come up closer to home.... Which it has! Though is in the department store I used to work. I want to know what you think... I feel like approaching my old beauty manager and explaining how I was in a bad way, I have done great since and other than family my career is of the most importance in my life. It's my passion. The interview process is long and I have been studying the brand so am keen on attending the interview next week but honestly am worried that when the time for store approval arrives she will just go, er, no!!!! Though was 5 years ago, and things have changed. I need to ask in store if she's still there too!! What you think??? Advice appreciated xx

Forgive me, what do you need advice on exactly? Picking the phone up and dialing the number to see if your old boss is still there? Writing a cv out? Only you know If you want to pursue the job.

I'm confused with this post.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Apologies... What I want to know is should I approach my old manager (if she's still there) and explain I'm going for the job. I feel she will be hesitant to give me the opportunity. I really want to Persue the job so I will be going for it but do you think by approaching her it will show how passionate I am and that I am mature enough to lay my cards on the table?

Firstly you need to establish If she is still there.

Depending on how you left 5 years ago, the new applicants applying for the job, and whether your old boss is still there may have an affect on your success but without trying you will never know.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey ladies/gents, have mentioned some things about my past and need some advice about my future! So, 5 years ago I worked on a make up counter in a department store, at the time I was going through depression and was in a bad place so my reliability was slack. I loved working on counter, the ladies, the make up, the sales, application... The list is endless. My counter manager wasn't a great role model. The beauty manager was awful... A face like she permanently sucks on lemons and had no relationship with me as her employee, anytime I tried to speak with her she wasn't interested. Most of the girls felt the same. Since then things are good, I have a great partner and kids and have had jobs in Boots, and Fenwicks as a beauty and fragrance consultant and have got the most amazing feedback about my sales and approach. I have been waiting for something to come up closer to home.... Which it has! Though is in the department store I used to work. I want to know what you think... I feel like approaching my old beauty manager and explaining how I was in a bad way, I have done great since and other than family my career is of the most importance in my life. It's my passion. The interview process is long and I have been studying the brand so am keen on attending the interview next week but honestly am worried that when the time for store approval arrives she will just go, er, no!!!! Though was 5 years ago, and things have changed. I need to ask in store if she's still there too!! What you think??? Advice appreciated xx

You don't need to explain yourself, she may not even be there!
Go for the job and I'm sure your enthusiasm will shine threw. Is it in fenwicks again? I have a friend who works in the Newcastle one? I could ask if she is still there xx

Thankyou Lila x it's in Debenhams. I just don't want any un-comfortable atmospheres, as I really felt like she wasn't interested in either me or my position on counter. I left to go to university. It's a brand new counter so will be a new team which will be fab xx

That's the thing... I will never know unless I try and I'm a trier!! Your right virtues there will be other experienced ladies going for the job too so the jobs anyone's, it's just very exciting that the counters coming to Debenhams as we have only one department store with make up counters so I feel it's where I should be. Thanks for your comments ladies... Any others much appreciated xx

Thankyou Lila x it's in Debenhams. I just don't want any un-comfortable atmospheres, as I really felt like she wasn't interested in either me or my position on counter. I left to go to university. It's a brand new counter so will be a new team which will be fab xx

I'd just go for it, some people are like that, so full of themselves no one else cares!
Go for it, put all you have got into it and hopefully she will have nothing to do with it!
I worked in warehouse and the boss there wasn't to nice so I no it would be strange going back but I've gone in shopping before and she always smiles! I think she thinks I'm a really good customer as she knows my face haha!
Don't worry until there is something to worry about and good luck 🍀
Keep us up to date xxx

Latest posts

Back