Out of touch with gel/acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise2019

Reaction score
Hi I'm after some advice please. I'm unsure what to do.

Two years ago I done a gel and acrylic nail course. I learned what I needed to do however the course was a little old fashioned and I left feeling not very confident I'm myself.

I haven't done nails since but would like to.

I need practice. Would putting posters up asking for free models work? I can't do a refresher course as I can't afford it.
I was hoping to watch my nsi DVD that I got with my kit to free fresh my memory. Or do I sell my kit and move on?

There are so many videos on YouTube that can help refresh your memory!
I trained a year ago and didn't practise for a while so felt like I'd forgotten everything.
I did quite a bit of research and watched loads of videos and just kept practising. I wouldn't give up just yet :)

True. I must do that thank you x

There are plenty of poorly trained nail techs out there, if you want to be good and successful at what you do you need to invest in yourself. If you're not confident with your skills you should book some training either a refresher or a 1-2-1. Yes it will cost you money but if you don't invest in yourself and your business how will you succeed? Put yourself in your potential clients shoes....would you go to a technician who was trained and qualified and knew her stuff or one who's had some OKish training and watched a few videos?

I know who would get my business. Yes you might bring customers in but can you keep them with poor skills? Unlikely, we get lots of people coming on saying 'I can't keep my customers, they don't come back or rebook - what do I do and what am I doing wrong' - it's hard enough in this current financial climate as it is, don't give you clients any reason to go anywhere other than you.

If you don't fully commit, you might be better of cutting your losses now, but only you can decide that. Good luck which ever path you chose :)

True. I must do that thank you x

It does help and if you can't afford the extra training at the moment it will keep your head in the business so you don't fully lose touch.
Offering free services to friends and family means you can put it into practice and you might be better than you think :) If not maybe then is the time to look back at re-training if you can afford it!

The only practice that counts is perfect practice , if you practice poor techniques it doesn't matter how many sets you do you'll never get there and will probably loose a lot of confidence along the way (as well as create a bad name for yourself)

I recently did some acrylic training , having done nails for 7 years i didn't think that i would learn much but boy was I wrong :) It was well worth it , and not only do i feel like my skill has improved but also my confidence and passion for nails which has got new clients excited and booking in.

It may not be what you want to hear, but i would just bite the bullet and book some extra training for yourself. It will pay for itself 10 fold if its good quality training :)

Best of luck what ever you decide :) X

Thanks so much. Yous are all so right. It's something ill think about for sure.

Where do you suggest getting "quality" training. Im in Pittsburgh, PA and cant find training ANYwhere!

Where do you suggest getting "quality" training. Im in Pittsburgh, PA and cant find training ANYwhere!

No idea as we're in the UK, over here CND have an outstanding reputation for training, have you tried them? How about your product suppliers? Who do you use?

Maybe some of our lovely USA based techs will be on soon with some suggestions

The only practice that counts is perfect practice , if you practice poor techniques it doesn't matter how many sets you do you'll never get there and will probably loose a lot of confidence along the way (as well as create a bad name for yourself)

I recently did some acrylic training , having done nails for 7 years i didn't think that i would learn much but boy was I wrong :) It was well worth it , and not only do i feel like my skill has improved but also my confidence and passion for nails which has got new clients excited and booking in.

It may not be what you want to hear, but i would just bite the bullet and book some extra training for yourself. It will pay for itself 10 fold if its good quality training :)

Best of luck what ever you decide :) X
Hi hun can i just ask where you done your re training x

I did a conversion course with CND , I learnt so much about product chemistry, how to design a nail correctly and even learnt about the lower arch of the nail which I had never heard of [emoji23]

Here a shot of a nail I transformed using my new knowledge :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443476382.251990.jpg

Wow that's gorgeous. Well done. I trained using NSI. It's ok but I feel like I've alot of tubs of stuff and don't know what to do with the half of them.

Gosh, I dont know how I missed the whole UK thing! Im sorry, I will retreat back into my shell now :)

I'm kind of in the same boat. I trained over 2 years ago with a college not a specific brand of gel or acrylic. I'd love to get more confidence. Would a conversion course be enough for me?

I looked at doing it with CND but the next course near Dublin isn't on until the 22nd February.

Gosh, I dont know how I missed the whole UK thing! Im sorry, I will retreat back into my shell now :)

No dont go! :p This is predominantly a UK forum but we have techs from all over the world, I'm sure someone stateside will be around. Post a new thread for USA training suggestions, you won't get masses of replies but hopefully some

Latest posts

Back