Over heating highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs saint

Reaction score
Hi all, did a girls hair tonight, done it a few time now with the same colours but tonight they heated up so hot you could fry an egg on them. I used blonde me bleach with 9% and igora royal 10-1 with 12%. There was also lots of breakage which I expected but not from the bleach it was thetint that was breaking. Any ideas as to why? She was also using head and shoulders shampoo.

I used that bleach once in a girl and happened the same thing they also started to bleed everywhere lol it was scary

The funny thing with them tonight they over heated and leaked on one side of her head and not the other. Aswell there was breakage on the side they over heated but not on the other side, they were fine. But it wasn't the bleached high lights that were breaking either.

The funny thing with them tonight they over heated and leaked on one side of her head and not the other. Aswell there was breakage on the side they over heated but not on the other side, they were fine.

Did she went on holiday somewhere or something like that maybe the hair had salt in it something like that lol

Hi can't explain what happened but I use blonde me and I use with only 6% as I find it stronger bleach and doesn't need 9% just thought I would let you know. Xxx

Also meant to say use it quite thick as its goes watery xxx

Thiago, she hasn't gone anywhere, last year I had another regular colour go wrong on me and never got an answer as to why, the only thing the two have in common was head and shoulders shampoo!

Yeah I never used higher then 6%. But it's very strong lol. I'd only use it again doing strand test and if the hair is thick and strong that's it..

Thiago, she hasn't gone anywhere, last year I had another regular colour go wrong on me and never got an answer as to why, the only thing the two have in common was head and shoulders shampoo!

Maybe there's something in those shampoo

This happened to me with te same bleach but my client had just got back from holiday.
Tomme he is really good he should know why he should pop in soon ;)

Xtina, I normally would use it with 6 but as she was a base of 2 I used 9 to give it extra lift. I use the blonde me in my own hair and never had a problem with it.

No problem just thought I would let you know just incase as I am a base 5/6 and use 6% :)!!!

Maybe the 10-1 was a faulty batch? A few years back I had a full head foils bleach and highlights and I could feel them starting to over heat just before she got to the top section lucky enough got them washed off before too much damage was done....this was from the senior stylist in my salon just to put your mind at ease xxx

Yup the head and shoulders most likely is the culprit. Anti dandruff shampoos contain small bits of metal that can be left in the hair and can react with bleach and some colours. If a client uses head and shoulders I usually rinse there hair with a clarifying shampoo before starting treatments. :)

Yup the head and shoulders most likely is the culprit. Anti dandruff shampoos contain small bits of metal that can be left in the hair and can react with bleach and some colours. If a client uses head and shoulders I usually rinse there hair with a clarifying shampoo before starting treatments. :)

Oh nice to know! I was once told Framesi's bleach and herbal essence would do the same thing.

Did she have previous home colour I it or have you always coloured it? Sounds like a metallic salts reaction xx

Why on only one side of the head? This suggests that it wasn't the shampoo at fault unless she only ever washed half a head, lol.

A similar previous thread where a reaction occurred on only one side of the head was deemed due to the after effects of anaesthetic. The client had had some dental work done on one side of her mouth and the anaesthetic had affected that side of the scalp.

She hasn't used a home colour in a few years and the colours I used where the same ones I used before Christmas in her hair. I thought about a faulty batch of the 10-1 but I used two different tubes. The colours were only in for 20 mins at the back and they got so hot that the mech was starting to melt, but not on every one it was only every say 4th or 5th

That happened to me once. It turned out that the cottage she'd been living in had old copper piping which had left a coppper deposit in her hair over time.

She found out that the local hairdresser had the same problem and had to install a water purifier!

She hasn't used a home colour in a few years and the colours I used where the same ones I used before Christmas in her hair. I thought about a faulty batch of the 10-1 but I used two different tubes. The colours were only in for 20 mins at the back and they got so hot that the mech was starting to melt, but not on every one it was only every say 4th or 5th

Oh my god I'd s**t myself! Did u manage to wash it off without telling her her hair nearly melted :s would love to know what the cause is.
The half head that it happened to, did you put those ones in first? X

Hi all, did a girls hair tonight, done it a few time now with the same colours but tonight they heated up so hot you could fry an egg on them. I used blonde me bleach with 9% and igora royal 10-1 with 12%. There was also lots of breakage which I expected but not from the bleach it was thetint that was breaking. Any ideas as to why? She was also using head and shoulders shampoo.

I is a chemical reaction that occurs when there are mineral salts on the hair, usually from well or spring water systems that are untreated for clarity. For further appointments with the client book extra time and do two clarifying shampoos, then dry and apply your color. If you don't clarify her hair before her color treatments you will continue to have this problem. If it is not a well/natural spring issue, then it is most likely a drug/medication issue. You are lucky her hair is still attached to her head, whenever this happens you need to get the chemicals off the hair ASAP. It's a very dangerous scenario.

I've been investigating in to this all day and in my 15 years of hairdressing its the second time a disaster has happened to me. The last one was 3 months ago. I found out today that the two girls used the same gym one 3 months ago and the other just started going and has washed her hair there a few times they both use head and shoulders shampoo. Would these two factors be the reason it happen and the water in the gym is full of copper?

Latest posts

Back