Overlays with Brisa Lite sculpting gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nk nails

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you can do overlays with brisalite sculpting gel. I have a client that does not want extensions on or gel polish but whats a french manicure that will last atleast a week, so I cant use traditional polish as its likely to chip. Any advice would help. Thank you.

Why doesn't she want gel polish?

I wouldn't use the sculpting gel - I'd be more inclined to go for smoothing gel with vinylux.

Do your smoothing gel as normal but don't apply the top coat. Remove the top film when you bring the nails out of the lamp and then vinylux as normal.

She has never had gel polish on and didnt want to try it. I havent got any smoothing gel because non of my clients have it on. This lady is a new client and I doubt she will become a regular so I dont want to order the smoothing gel just for this lady. Would you definitely not suggest using the sculpting gel then?

Yes you can do overlays with Brisa Lite Removable Sculpting gel, but why would she prefer that rather than a gel polish? That really doesn't make any sense unless she is worried about her nails being buffed.

The smoothing gel plus colour would be a far better and easier option for the client and a faster removal time. You may not have it in but I'd sure get some in because it is a winner for challenged nail clients.

We as technicians should be deciding the right options for clients, not the clients. I can't see her objection to gel polish other than the buffing of the nail plate before application ... But with CND you don't have to do that so I wonder why she feels she doesn't want the obvious option which would be Shellac?

She has never had gel polish on and didnt want to try it. I havent got any smoothing gel because non of my clients have it on. This lady is a new client and I doubt she will become a regular so I dont want to order the smoothing gel just for this lady. Would you definitely not suggest using the sculpting gel then?

I couldn't find this thread :o

Just to clarify - there's no reason why you can't use sculpting gel and do a beautiful set of overlays for her, it's just that it takes a little bit longer to remove and she MUST return to you to have it removed (you can't stress that enough to her - book her removal/rebalance before she leaves). It's a little bit more work for you too for a none-too-different result.

If she can happily get away with shellac, then that's what I'd 'prescribe'. I'd talk her through the procedure, emphasising the no buffing, etc. To be honest, the buffing thing is why I thought she would have the aversion as well. Or smoothing gel and colour - it's worth having it in, just in case.

At the end of the day, as Geeg said, she's the client; you need to tell her what she's most suited to. With the best will and products in the world, if you have cursed/challenged nails, then you'll need more work.

Thank you both for the replies. I think I will talk the client into gel polish. It was the buffing that was putting her off. I havent got any shellac in. I am going to get it in when I have saved up as I have not been doing nails long. Shellac would have been the better option, must get some in asap. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back