Overtime Rates on Services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Something was brought to my attention... and I paused to think.

Do any of you ever accept to do services outside of business hours, and charge overtime rates.

For example: You are BOOKED solid and this one client is absolutely desperate for a service...
Would you do it on your day off BUT charge an additional "overtime fee"?

What are your thoughts.

I may just do this.........
I get enough demand during certain times of the year.

what a brilliant idea - worth thinking about. I often agree to stay late or come in on day off to fit people in when we are fully booked - I wonder if these clients would pay more for my inconvenience! You've got me thinking now.

diane x

Do you know... I think that's a great idea!!

I've often been asked to do someone's nails on my day off and I usually say no to new clients, but find it a lot harder to say no to a regular... hey, everyone else gets overtime, why can't we?

You could just explain it's your day off and you usually have an additional charge of 20% on top of the treatment price, or whatever price you decide... I'm sure they'd be happy to pay it! :)

I've charged more to come in for one client on my day off, but usually, if I have a client wanting something worth my while I'll just open up an extra half a day and let other clients book in too.

Last edited:
I have done clients on my days off sometimes and they have offered to pay me extra to do this. I have never accepted, as they are all regulars anyway, but have said that if they want to tip me that would be ok. They do and then we are quits!

It would be totally different for a new client though and, to be honest, I wouldn't do a new client on a day off as chances are they would probably assume that I would work on any day off for that fee! :green:

I'm seriously considering it.
Granted there are times that I'll have personal things scheduled and I simply will NOT be available no matter what.

But Im tired of folks (read that to mean long standing clients and friends) expecting me to make exceptions because I work from home.
If I'm going to work my night off or whatever.. make it worth my while.
HECK a lot of them get paid special overtime rates for THEIR jobs........
why shouldn't we???

I figure that A) I can make some extra money when it's not too inconvenient and B)it'll get those special folks to stop and think about asking me to make exceptions all the time instead of just towing the line and sticking to the schedule.... ya know??

I have done clients on my days off sometimes and they have offered to pay me extra to do this. I have never accepted, as they are all regulars anyway, but have said that if they want to tip me that would be ok. They do and then we are quits!

It would be totally different for a new client though and, to be honest, I wouldn't do a new client on a day off as chances are they would probably assume that I would work on any day off for that fee! :green:

I agree Sheila... I've found, if I go out of my way for a new client, they just assume I work every day and expect it all the time... it makes my blood boil when I book a new client in on my day off and they don't show up, so I only look after my regulars now and will usually bend over backwards for them.

Bump

no other thoughts on this?

in theory its a great idea .. but i dont know how clients will react to it , you could put something on your website along the lines .. appointments are available on days off are chrged at a different rate due to it being my day off ...
i dont know why we feel we cant charge our worth .. its very similar to the link i showed you before .. where the girl just had it on her FAQ ..
Q why do we get charged a call out rate ? A .. coz we have to get in our car and travel to you , lol dead simple .. no messing just straight as it is .. no apologies or discussions .. i wish i could be like that,
that is what i love about americans its very say it as it is :lol:

Personally no I wouldn't. Especially if working from home.

I think that unless you are completely black and white about when you take appointments and when you don't Clients will always push the line and gives them even more encouragement to try their luck and push for inconvenient appointments.

Either you are having a day off or you are just charging more for appointments on that day.

Im salon based and i do it. I dont think it matters if your mobile/salon based or at home, A day off, which is normally not part of your ideal working hours, in my opinion should be charged more and accordingly.

I have a bridal/party service and a out of hours service, each factors location, and most importantly with minimum spend of say £100 per person. I dont work sundays, and i always have something on, ppl want me on those days have to pay extra for the services. I have to make it most my while, so realistically if you dont mind go for it! xoxo

I love the idea in theory, but the more I think of it, I'd never have the nerve to do it :lol:

I think its a great idea as I work from home too but I'm not sure if I could do it.
I know a Salon where I live who offer treatments with a % off if they have a treatment before 3pm...so in respect if you want an evening appointment then why not charge a % more.

I had a call from a new client only last Saturday around 12pm I had just finished as I only really work a Saturday morning so I said no and she asked me if I could do Sunday! Although I felt like saying "I do have a life as well" maybe I should say yes I do but I work for time and a half on a Sunday!!

I wonder what she would of said?

Definitely food for thought.

I've done a few out of hours and not charged extra, but this would be a fantastic idea. I really like the idea of an extra 20%.

However, if people didn't mind paying it and you became overwhelmed by clients wanting these appointments, would you find it hard to draw the line and say no...i need a break?

Personally no I wouldn't. Especially if working from home.

Either you are having a day off or you are just charging more for appointments on that day.

I'm not sure what "working from home" has to do with it. Overtime is overtime. Most companies, where I live, pay a special 'rate' of pay when the employee works more than 40hrs in a week. Anything over 40 is at a special rate (some companies, it's over 45). So, I fail to see what location has to do with hours of work?

I've been offered extra $ many times to take someone on a Sunday or Monday (which I steadfastly refuse, whether or not I have something that day). But I'm thinking on reconsidering...

YES there will be those that push the boundaries and expect it all the time. I guess it would have to be made clear that it's not available all the time. Either way, I have clients asking for the same thing EVERY SINGLE WEEK... trying to push me to do hours/days that I don't usually.
The difference would be that IF I did choose to accept to do so on occasion, I'd get overtime pay; just like my girlfriend who works at a bank, or my other friend who works for Canada Post etc etc.

Why is MY time worth less than anyone else's?

When I worked for an investment firm, I earned overtime pay. And overtime was OPTIONAL. If I couldn't stay late that night because I have a life outside of work and a prior commitment, then I didn't and I lost out on the extra pay. MY choice. If I did, whoohoo, extra bucks for being extra tired.

Definitely food for thought.

I've done a few out of hours and not charged extra, but this would be a fantastic idea. I really like the idea of an extra 20%.

However, if people didn't mind paying it and you became overwhelmed by clients wanting these appointments, would you find it hard to draw the line and say no...i need a break?

Again, you make it clear it's not available all the time. Just because it's "Possible" doesn't mean it's a definate. If someone expects to come that day all of the time every 2wks, you make it clear "nope, not available". It's for "one-offs" so to speak, if that makes sense?
Make it clear to clients that if any of them develop a habit for choosing that time, the option will dissappear.

Anyhow, just juggling it all in my head, weighing pros and cons, comparing our jobs to those that work in offices etc...

Do you have a website? You could write something along the lines of this: Out of hours appointments are occasionally available for an extra fee. Please note these appointments are only available some weeks and therefore you would be unable to book the same time on a regular basis.

I think it's a good idea but obviously you must know when to say no. Hth x

I'm not sure what "working from home" has to do with it. Overtime is overtime. Most companies, where I live, pay a special 'rate' of pay when the employee works more than 40hrs in a week. Anything over 40 is at a special rate (some companies, it's over 45). So, I fail to see what location has to do with hours of work?

I mentioned the working from home bit as I have found some Clients try to take more liberties with your time than if you were in a salon. There is sometimes the assumption that because you are there anyway you can drop everything and fit them in, whereas it is assumed it is more of an imposition to ask you to travel in to a place of work on your day off.

Do you have a website? You could write something along the lines of this: Out of hours appointments are occasionally available for an extra fee. Please note these appointments are only available some weeks and therefore you would be unable to book the same time on a regular basis.

I think it's a good idea but obviously you must know when to say no. Hth x

Good idea.

I mentioned the working from home bit as I have found some Clients try to take more liberties with your time than if you were in a salon. There is sometimes the assumption that because you are there anyway you can drop everything and fit them in, whereas it is assumed it is more of an imposition to ask you to travel in to a place of work on your day off.

Ok, I missunderstood what you meant.
Ahh yes, but they try to take advantage anyway already, and I'm constantly putting my foot down.
So whether I offer the option or not, there will still always be someone trying ;-) :hug:
The difference at the end of the day would be if I "felt" like it and I 'did" have time available, I could earn a better rate.

Bump

no other thoughts on this?

Personally, I would not charge more to do nails on my day 'off'. Especially for an existing client. I am EXTREMELY happy for the work. :)

PS: Victoria, you always come up with good discussions. :)

Me personally would not work on my days off or do overtime.
Why?... Because I think we work bloody hard enough as it is, we all need down time or spend time with our family.
However I do understand that maybe some haven't built up a busy business yet and need the extra clients/money...I just think one thing leads to another for example: You would do one ladies nails and she would maybe tell someone else you do out of hours work and the nightmare begins.

Plus it's good for us to keep things a little detached and not be at peoples beckon call, otherwise you lose that drive/excitment/inspiration that you had when you first started

No I need my days off even if it's to keep my sanity lol

Latest posts

Back