Own business & illness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojo@salongeek

Reaction score
It's the only thing that I find so difficult to overcome bring self employed, running a very busy business & being ill. Iv woke up this morning with a swollen eye, red, sore, stingy & sensitive to the light. Iv had this about 3/4 times now & it's turned out to be an ulcer or abrasion on the cornea. A combination of dry eyes, wearing contact lenses for too long & I'm sure the dust from 10 sets of nails per day isn't helping. I need to look into an extractor fan for sure.

What do others do when facing a problem like this?? I have a busy column today & tomorrow however I literally cannot see out of one eye :-/ some clients can be very understanding yet some on the other hand not xx

I suffer with M.E. So from day one I have been honest with clients about my illness so if I do have to cancel they are a little more understanding. I am very lucky with my clients response too!

I think it's tricky when it's a one off - but if it was me I would explain - your in pain and having trouble with your vision - which may not make your treatments up to your usual standard! I think being self employed I VERY rarely out myself first, but I certainly wouldn't work the hours i do if I was employed by someone.
Think of yourself 😃

If you can't see properly then you're a liability. My advice is to cancel your clients until you can see properly and ensure that your GP is aware of your self employed status.
It's a fact of business life that you will lose some clients if they feel they have been inconvenienced, however genuine the reason. Don't we all feel furious when clients call in sick?
Get well soon!

your help is by far important u need and that get back trying to work and be ill will drag you down. all customers if loyal will be back.

The hayfever season has started - it is tree pollen between March-May. Try anti-histamines and eye drops.

If u have an an ulcer before and u think this could be the same again I would try to get to eye casualty or a&e as quick as u can as the more time u leave the worse and more painful it will get x

Latest posts

Back