Pain relief while in labour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlesqueBeauty

Reaction score
Morning geeks! :)

The reason for this post is I'm wondering what pain relief you all had while in labour, why you chose it and how well you found it worked?
I'm due in march and I can't wait to meet my little boy, but also very nervous as its my first one! I'm a whimp when it comes to pain so although I like the thought of a natural birth (tops to the woman who do it!) I don't think it'd be an option for me!
I'm thinking of having an epidural - what about you ladies?
Experiences if labour would be great! Also mums to be, what are your thoughts and opinions on pain relief?

Hey!

I had my little girl in September and was all for an all natural hypnobirth. However........ After 30 hours of labour i had had enough and they would only give me pethadine as anything else could slow my labour down and I wasn't progressing as it was. Pethadine was the one thing I has been certain I didn't want but after 30 hours and only being 3cm I needed something to help me sleep as my contractions had been 5 mins apart from the word go! I actually found pethadine great although it wore off very quickly.

After the pethadine I was put on the hormone drip and after another 5 hours hasn't progressed at all! They wacked the drip up to the maximum as a last ditch attempt before c section but they were insistent I would want an epidural and I was too tired to argue so had the epidural about an hour later. I finally started progressing but when it came to pushing my epidural had been done so well that it wouldn't wear off and made pushing very hard, my little one was also back to back and very large due to undiagnosed and thus unmanaged GD so I ended up having a ventouse delivery. If you opt for an epidural I would discuss the pushing stage with them and try and allow it to wear off as you reach the pushing stage as pushing when you feel nothing is actually really hard!

I also sampled gas and air before my epidural and LOVED it! This would definitely be my labour pain relief of choice next time!

My advice would be keep an open mind, make sure you know the ins and outs of all the options available and go with what your body tells you you need! Birth plans are good if everything goes to plan but if not you can be left feeling disappointed about how things went - I certainly won't be making a birth plan with number 2, apart from hoping its not 45 hours like last time! There are no rights or wrongs hun - go with what you feel is right :)

Sorry for the long post :)

Good luck x

Last edited:
Congratulations for March!! My daughter was also born in March!! I had a natural birth with gas and air and one shot of pethadine (if that's how you spell it) tbh the main thing I did was stayed as calm as possible throughout, it's one bit of advice I can give that helped me through, I was in labour (slow at first) for 33 hours in total!! I had a slight complication at the end as my daughters heart beat had dropped so the doctors were preparing to use forceceps, however as the doctor was explaining the procedure I had pushed her out so no need for any help!! I was very proud of myself as I was very scared of the labour part, hope all goes well for you :)

Hi. I've had two babies both very different experiences (as they all are) my first I had a water birth with just has and air, I can honestly say being in water really helped for me. I was adamant from the beginning I didn't want an epidural but I did ask for it at one point but they encouraged me to get back in the pool & it really helped deliver my little boy Ollie.

With my second I stayed at home most of the day whilst in slow labour and only just got on the bed at hospital to have a few puffs of gas and air before Lola arrived. She was 4 weeks premature. You might not think your pain threshold is much but that will all change when you finally go into labour.

Even if you want all the drugs available have them if thats what's right for you because you need to make it as comfortable as possible. I really miss being pregnant, hoping sometime in the future we will have more children :) good luck xx

I've been through it twice and both times I had a vague idea of what I wanted but never anything set in stone.

My daughter was 10 days late after being told I would have her up to 6 weeks early. All the pains were in my back so I didn't actually realise I was having contractions until they were about 5 minutes apart. Being in the bath really eased my pain. A new hospital had literally just opened its maternity ward but the birthing pools werent ready so I wasn't able to have a water birth with her. I was really sick, its body's way of preparing for the birth and couldn't stop so they gave me an injection to stop me being sick and also gave me pethidine. It didn't actually get much time to work because half an hour later she was born weighing 7lb 14 1/2 oz. I had to have stitches so had to have gas and air. God I hate that stuff, hate the feeling it gives you. Stops the pain but I don't like the wooziness.

With my son I was again told I'd be early and guess what he was 5 days late! I was feeling uncomfortable the day leading upto his birth which was nothing new, had a stretch and sweep that day too. At midnight my waters broke but had no contractions for a few hours. Again when they started they were in my back so a bath soothed that and I was lucky enough to have a water birth. Best experience ever. He was born naturally with no pain relief other than the water and weighed 9lb. Again I needed stitches so had to have that nasty gas and air!

I think the best thing to do is just go with the flow. If you feel you need the pain relief then take it but don't feel like you have to use it if you don't want too. A few friends feel like pain relief was pushed on them when they had their kids. Others had a plan of what they wanted and it didn't happen that way at all.

Good luck xx

I have two girls and said I would have all the pain relief I could , I managed to give birth to my eldest with just gas and air she was 8lb 6oz
And my second I had nothing completely natural and she was 7lb 5oz it depends in how you feel at the time relax and see how you feel xx

My little girl is now three. I had a birth plan initially that i wanted every drug going becasue im a wimp and i have a very low threshold, i decided very late on in my pregnancy that i needed to get a grip and stop being hysterical haha so i opted for a water birth. as soon as my contractions started i hopped in the bath at home whilst hubby had a sleep and three hours later i was getting really uncomfortable so rang the hospital and they told me to come in. Got to the hospital and she offered me gas and air, i had one puff and nearly passed out it made my head swim, the midwife examined me and i was 7cm and id done that all on my own with no pain relief so i decided to carry on without it. they ran the birthing pool at the hospital and i got in that, 3 hours after arriving at the hospital i gave birth naturally in the pool to my beautiful baby girl weighing 6lb 2oz :)

Your stronger than you think :)

best of luck in your labour only you know what you can and cant deal with, i would suggest keeping an open mind and seeing how your labour goes before you start asking for drugs though, you might just suprise yourself.. i know i did xx

First of all, congratulations. I had an epidural with my first two. The first epidural was great, the second one didn't work as well as the first one. I had them in the USA though. I had my son here in the UK and tried the gas and air and hated it. I asked for an epidural but I was told they did not offer them at the hospital I was in. They were going to bring me something else for the pain, I can't remember what it was, but I was too far along and ended up giving birth with nothing. You would be amazed at what you can handle when you have to. Whatever you choose to do just know its all worth it in the end. Good luck with everything.

Ah I'm glad I'm not the only that hated gas and air! Awful stuff. I think I'm just a control freak and don't like the drunk out of control feeling it gives you.

I had to have an epidural with number 2 as he was stuck so was being prepped for a c-section. Horrible experience, they hit a nerve so gave me a banging headache, then it only worked on one side.

Luckily baby turned and resulted in a natural delivery, but as soon as I knew he had turned and I could push I wanted to get off of the bed, but was paralysed! Very odd feeling!
Luckily because the epidural only worked on one side I could feel to push, but it was still tricky, as the other person has said pushing is very difficult when you can't feel anything!

I have used hypnosis for both births and really believe it is mind over matter and staying calm and allowing your body to do what it needs to. It should be an amazing positive experience and you need to change your way of thinking about pain, the pain is a good thing, every contraction is bringing that moment of finally meeting your bundle of joy ever closer.

Try a hypnosis cd, I found it to be fantastic!

I'm due to have number 3 in 3wks so will let you know his this one goes!

I had my first ten year ago, doesn't seem that long ago! Today was due date for the second but nothing happening yet! Had gas and air for my first and don't plan on having anything more this time either. I can't stand the thought of being out of it or not feeling what's happening in my body. I'm having a home birth this time so that limits the options anyway, although I could have got a prescription for Diamorphine to keep at home :eek: I hope to keep everything as calm and natural as possible. I also don't like that some of the drugs pass through to the baby. I've asked to have a physiological third stage because I hated the feeling of cord traction last time *shudder*

Having said that, every person and pregnancy is different. If you feel like you need all the pain relief you can get then ask for it!

In any case you're doing the right thing thinking all this through now! Good luck :D Air x

Congratulations! :) I have two boys, first was induced a few days early due to my own health, they were saying I would be wanting an epidural and would need my waters broken but I was set on a water birth and had my midwife sister as a birthing partner who helped me talk them round to let me see how things go. Regular contractions came, they didn't break my waters, got in the pool at 3cm before any intense contractions started, relaxed and got comfy then things picked up, gas and air is great for breathing during contractions, keeps you focused. Then he was born in the pool, 12 he's from pessary, 7hrs from contractions.

Second I opted for a home birth, I was birthing partner for my sister who had one so I was confident being in my own home would help me relax and let my body do what it can do. I loved it!!! It was the best thing ever :) I had a birthing pool, candles (away from gas and air obviously) and the best part was I used hypnobirthing which kept me totally chilled, chatting on the phone to my mum at 6cms :) then I started in the gas and air. The position of my son made the last few hours slow down, but that's fine, as ling as baby is fine there's no need to rush. I came out of the pool and sat down with my hubby behind me so I could lean back and rest for a bit. I knew once I got in a better position either squatting or on all fours he would come but I let myself gather some energy and relax for an hour, then I got in s fours leaning in my hubby's lap on the couch and pop goes the waters, next contraction he was here :)

The best thing I have found is learning to let go of control, the feeling of your body contracting and labouring is intense and overwhelming but if you can trust your body and just relax it will be fine.

And read info on the transition stage so when it comes you understand what's happening and why you may feel panicked. And even though I loved my natural births I can absolute see why people have pain relief and if you feel you need it then that's what it's their for :)

Minimum intervention really helped me in my labours, and just to let you know I wanted a natural birth but absolutely did not think I would manage it, I am not good with pain. The first thing I said when I had my first in the birthing pool was "I did it! I ACTUALLY did it!!" So we can all surprise ourselves and its an amazing thing to experience!

Sorry for the ling reply, I am super passionate about birth lol!! Good luck xxxx

Oh I also had a physiological third stage, only took 5 mins first time and 15 second time.

Good luck with your homebirth Air!! Having a shower at home then cuddling up in bed with hubby and new born watching a DVD was the most wonderful first night with my son :) enjoy :)

Sarah xxxxx

Rainbow relaxation hypnobirthing is great, google it for an online stream. Listen during pregnancy in the bath or a relaxing room to help it trigger relaxation.

But I warn you the amaro an accent made me giggle the first few times but I still listen to it now if I'm struggling to sleep :) sends me off into labour land

Xx

Congratulations.

It is really difficult to plan or know what you will want when the time comes. As others have said you have to go with the flow.

I have three children. I wanted every pain relief known to man when I had my first, particularly as she was breech (I was sooooooo scared). In the end I had very quick births so they wouldn't allow me anything more than gas and air for a short time.

How ever long your labour, you will remember every detail with clarity for the rest of your life. You will look back on it with fondness. I actually get slightly envious of pregnant ladies!

Its a wonderful time and an amazing experience. Good luck and enjoy :hug:

I had 2 boys with just gas and air. First one was induced but I refused the hormone drip and an epidural - labour was 6.5 hours. With the second one I arrived at the hospital at 9cm had 3 puffs of gas and air and he was born in 15 mins! It depends alot on your mindset, but you do need to be realistic and keep an open mind. With my first if they didn't examine me when I got to 9cm I would have had an epidural because I had nearly hit my pain threshold. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Both of mine have been induction of labour.

I was expecting the worse pain ever when I had my first and was very nervous.
I am also needle phobia so the thought of an epidural terrified me. My plan was tens machine, then onto gas and air when that want enough, then pethadine when the gas and air wasn't enough.
I said my midwife that I would prefer not to have an epidural but if she thought I wasn't coping she was to persuade me to have one!!
I found the gas and air was enough. It relaxed me through my contractions & gave me the giggles my contraction was wearing off!! I had my waters broken when I was 6 cms dilated as my daughter was back to back. A small probe was placed on her head to monitor her heart.
At this point I asked for pethadine and as soon as I had it I needed to push!! I went from 6cms dilated to holding her in half an hr! ! A very tiny 5lb 14oz girl born on mothers day!!

2nd time after niggles all night I had my waters broken when I was 1cm dilated & 2 hrs later after gas and air my son was born weighing 7lb.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

1st was induced , 7:10 oz (almost 15 years ago!) gas and air , tenns machine , it was lovely in the start but ended up throwing across room near the end :D

2nd 8lbs (11years ago) gas and air and blue planet on tv lol

3rd 7:6oz (6years )a ton of chocolate a giant birthing ball, gas and air , pethaden but not really cos he arrived like a minute after I had the shot so I felt that hit after when I was having a shower that was a very bright strange shower lol

I think the best advice is plan how you would like it but don't make it your focus . Giving birth is a bit of an out of control situation ,
It's hard to plan unless your having a c section on an exact day and time , even then it can be subject to change from early arrivels :D .
I've known a few lady's get quite depressed over things not going to plan ,
Stay in controle just by making the best of it , and knowing all your options :)

Nothing to add apart from as a guy reading all of the above I would definitely consider turning gay and finding a girlfriend!!! Labour sounds horrific! :(

My first son, who is 2 next month I had a water birth and no drugs. The labour lasted 2 hours. I had gas & air when I needed to be stitched up after, as my first son was 10lb 4. Still can't believe how big he was as I'm tiny.
My second son I only just managed to get to hospital in time I arrived at 7:20 and he was born at 7:50. I never had any drugs with him I gave birth to him in the chill out room the hospital called it, there was no bed just bean bags. He was born that quickly the midwife had to pull down my bottoms otherwise he would have been born in my joggers haha. He's now 10 weeks old. I think what helped with me was raspberry leaf tea I drank that every day from 37 weeks pregnant with both. My first son arrived on his due date and my 2nd son arrived a week early xx

Ive had two babies, now 5 and 3; the best piece of advice I can give - keep an open mind. Make sure your partner knows anything you are adamant about (for me this was avoiding epidural if possible), but you will KNOW when the time comes if you need more than what you have been given.
My first was a very long labour, gas and air and pethidine, the pethidine definitely prolonged the labour and made my baby very sleepy, but I could not have coped without it.
My second very quick and gas and air only.
I too cannot recommend hypnobirthing highly enough, I used natalhypnotherapy by maggie Howell (cds)
Above all:
relax while you can, it is THE most intense experience but your body will take over.
Remember that every single contraction is one closer to seeing your beautiful little baby :)
Hope thats helpful & very best of luck to you-you can do it!! Xxxx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back