Pain relief while in labour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! Are you thinking of having a water birth again? I haven't really done much thought on having a water birth, I've noticed a few people recommending them though which is getting me more intrigued about them :) x

Thank you!

100% having a water birth again! It was so peaceful.
And I defo think the water helped with the pain, it's just magical, you bring you baby up into the water, all by yourself!

If I can't have the pool, I think I might cry :(

When are you due? xxx

I was one of the lucky perfectly easy pregnancys byt when it came to labour I got pay back lol!
Waters broke at 41+1 weeks went to be checked with sslight contractions but sent home and booked in for induction 41+3
Induction day came... On the drip( which cancelled my planned water birth) and had max dosage from 11am-3pm. My contractions got stronger but managed on gas and air. Got to 10cm where I was punching hubby and shouting for epidural (which never came) ... 525pm came and with the help of forceps and an over jealous doctor cutting me from front to back my gorgeous girl was born. Still remember feeling the cut :'( but what will be will be

Main thing... Don't panic... Plans change... Aslong as you are both safe and well is the main thing..the pain fades.Every second is so worth all the drama ( and my 27 stitches haha)

Congratulations on your pregnancy 😃

My little girl is 8 in march. She was induced at 40+10 at 8.30am. Contractions started quite quickly and were really strong by lunch time. I went down to the labour ward at about 8pm and they offered me an epidural - I knew that this was the one thing I definitely did not want. The thought of not being able to move or feel when I need to push freaks me out slightly. I had gas and air but it made me feel sick so I had pethidine (normally anything stronger than paracetamol makes me feel rubbish). They gave me a second shot an hour later. Looking back I should never have had it. I was so tired and sleepy that my body couldn't really push as much as I wanted, I couldn't move position as I was just lifeless, yet I could still feel the pain of it. The saddest part was that when my baby was born I was so sleepy that I couldn't really enjoy her.

I'm due baby number 2 in July and want it to be so different. I'm hoping for a water birth but will keep an open mind. Drugs are a no no though unless the doctors/midwives strongly recommend.

I hope all goes well for you but remember every birth is different and a lot of it is out of our control xx

Thank you!

100% having a water birth again! It was so peaceful.
And I defo think the water helped with the pain, it's just magical, you bring you baby up into the water, all by yourself!

If I can't have the pool, I think I might cry :(

When are you due? xxx

I'm due 17th of march :) what about you? x

Hi hun

Hope you are keeping well, not long to go!

I had my baby girl 4 months ago,today!

I wanted a water birth: the pool was filled, my tankini was in hand, then I was like, "Let's forget the water birth, for now, and administer some morphine, please, my good lady". Or words to that effect...

I was spaced out for the following 24 hours, though, and felt trippy, which was horrible.

Also, if you have gas and air, take lip balm :)

Best of luck. It's amazing/frightening/exciting, but what we're designed for, so enjoy it! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have an apt with midwife on thurs to discuss my birth plan this time around, although I'm not sure it's even worth doing! Who knows it may go to plan this time :) 18 days to go! Exciting :) x

I have an apt with midwife on thurs to discuss my birth plan this time around, although I'm not sure it's even worth doing! Who knows it may go to plan this time :) 18 days to go! Exciting :) x

Eee good luck! Hope everything goes well for you and the little one! :D x

Exciting! Good luck! X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I didn't find antenatal classes at all useful quite scaremongering so don't worry if you miss them!x

Me too! I only went once and it frightened the blimmin life out of me and I never went back!

At the end of the day I think it's best to just go with the flow and what your bodies telling you to do. If you want lots of drugs have them and if you can cope without them that's great too. Its not a competition to see who had the most/least drugs (although it will appear that way if you listen to the chat up the baby clinic lol).

The most important thing is the safety and well being of you and baby. Also to add, it really is true that you will forget all the pain the minute you hold your precious baby in your arms and marvel at your greatest achievement. Good luck and let us know when he's here xxx

Guinness worked for me.

Oh, I see, you mean the woman!

Totally agree with waffle, even though I had 2 natural water birthing gas and air births, I didn't do it for how others would judge me. I did it because I like feeling in control, I liked being aware of the experience and feeling healthy and well after birth and my babies having a calm entrance into the world. But pain relief can help people stay calm if they are finding it overwhelming and help you enjoy the experience if labours difficult. Lots of preparation and research in pain relief, alternative things like aromatherapy, massage, acupressure helps u figure out how u feel about it all rather than having to think it through during labour. Have confidence in your body but its not a competition :) excited by all these babies being born, no more for me, wish I could go through it a again!!!

Sarah xxx

I am such a wimp when it comes to pain, everybody laughed when I said I wanted only gas & air!

But you will be suprised what you are capable of when you go into labour!
I had no pain relief whatsoever until the stitches afterwards I had a lot of gas & air for that!

xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm due 1st July with 1st baby and enjoyed reading your story's, I've thought bout water birth but not decided yet what to do, in process of moving house in couple weeks so will get thinking about it more once settled in xx

Water births are not always possible, so try and have a back up plan,

My 1st was overdue and had done the toilet inside me (lovely) so had to be monitored as it can be dangerous for baby, so couldn't use pool

2nd was possible but someone was using it

3rd was induced after waters broke so was on the drip, pool wasn't an option

I was gutted

My 1st was overdue and had done the toilet inside me (lovely) so had to be monitored as it can be dangerous for baby, so couldn't use pool

I was gutted

Your babies certainly didn't want to go swimming did they?! Seriously though this just highlights that even the best laid plans can go out of the window unfortunately as far as babies and Mother Nature is concerned x

Your babies certainly didn't want to go swimming did they?! Seriously though this just highlights that even the best laid plans can go out of the window unfortunately as far as babies and Mother Nature is concerned x

Lol I know, and they still don't do what I want! Wee divas

Always good to have an open mind it very rarely goes the way you want it too,

Do you all watch one born every minute?

Lol I know, and they still don't do what I want! Wee divas

Always good to have an open mind it very rarely goes the way you want it too,

Do you all watch one born every minute?

I absolutely love 1 born every minute and I'm guaranteed peace when I put that on coz it makes hubby and my eldest daughter feel sick hahaha

I'm due 1st July with 1st baby and enjoyed reading your story's, I've thought bout water birth but not decided yet what to do, in process of moving house in couple weeks so will get thinking about it more once settled in xx

:) we are due babies the same date :) x

I was gutted

Oh booooo :(

I LOVE a plan.... And a routine!

I bet you were gutted... You should of kicked the lady out on number 2 lol x x

Latest posts

Back