Pain relief while in labour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh congratulations!!
Defo keep an open mind, this is what we as women are meant to do - push babies out!
It's mind over matter.

I've got a 3 year old and had a text book birth.
Waters went 630am, contractions started at around lunchtime, stayed at home till about 330.
Went to hospital, got in the birthing pool at 4pm. What a dream that was.
Gave birth at 5.10pm.
Just gas and air.
No stitches!

I'm now pregnant with my second and due in June.
I'm slightly apprehensive that its not going to go as smoothly, but fingers crossed.

I highly recommend a water birth, it's so peaceful and you pretty much deliver the baby on your own.

And the pain really isn't THAT bad....
I promise 😊

x x x

Awww congratulations on the upcoming birth of your little fella :)

I went in to labour about 10 days early, had plans of any drug they could give me- I don't do well with pain haha!

Turns out I went in a 8cm and was told no drugs :eek: I had gas and air for a while but wasn't really doing much, so ended up pushing my son in to the world with nothing but grit and determination haha! My contractions started at around 6am and went in to hospital at 12pm by ambulance as I had hurrendous piles which meant I couldn't sit on my bottom in our tiny fiesta, i tried propping myself up on all fours in the back seat but no, I needed an ambulance! I had little man at 3:40pm so a quick labour but I didn't have a break between contractions and with every push the little monkey either stayed where he was or slipped back. In the end I had him by ventouse and never been so happy to have my feet in stirrups. So after much huffing and puffing my little man was pushed into the world at a sizeable 8lb 10oz.

Painful yes, but bloody amazing cuddling your little man for the first time.

I was really scared about giving birth honey, nothing went as I planned but it's also not as bad as you think. I've since had a kidney stone and that is really just like the feelings and pain you get from labour- only no where near as rewarding haha!

Good luck lovely xxxx

Last edited:
Nothing to add apart from as a guy reading all of the above I would definitely consider turning gay and finding a girlfriend!!! Labour sounds horrific! :(

Hahaha!! It's an amazing experience really ;)

Well, with my first I planned to have a water birth, but as I had to be induced I wasn't able to, so it kind of changed my ideas about what pain relief I wanted to.
I had gas and air and an injection of Diamorphine, unbeknown to me I actually wasn't getting on with the gas and air at all, due to the nature of my asthma. I kept saying I couldn't get a breath and feeling really panicked but as none of us realised it was the gas and air I kept taking it and feeling awful.

So then with my second, I stayed at home for the most part and went to hospital when it was nearly time to start pushing, I felt it really relaxing and comforting to be in my own home.
I was given the gas and air and straight away I recognised the feeling and realised that I just didn't get on with it so labour number 2 was a million times better and I really concentrated on my breathing, honestly it makes such a difference!

Just before I was ready to push I had a drug called remifentanil, which is self administered and you don't feel out out of it so it meant I felt really in control. Would highly recommend it!

By the way, you will get loads of women telling you proudly that they didn't have any pain relief or 'only' had this or that, like its a competition lol but just remember everyone's birthing experience is different, every hospital is different and especially everyone's pain barrier is different. Just do what is right for you at the time :)

Good luck to you and remember, as hard as it is, you'll not care when you have your gorgeous baby in your arms 😊 xx

Definitely keep a very open mind, I wanted a completely natural birth but sadly didn't get it.

I developed pre eclampsia in labour and had to have my membranes ruptured and syntocin to increase contractions, I was told to have an epidural due to the pre eclampsia as it can lower blood pressure and also due to the syntocin intensifying the contractions. I won't go into what happened but I was very unwell after delivering my daughter so know from first hand experience that things most defiantly do not always go to plan no matter how much we want them too.

I am due in April and seeing the consultant to discuss my options as to what will happen this time and also to relay my expectations for my own peace of mind:)

Good luck and congratulations!

Hi there - firstly congratualtions!
When I fell pregnant I was overjoyed - then as time progressed I started to get VERY nervous about the birth - I tried hypnotic DVDs everything to try and calm down and not be so nervous -
the most important thing was I got through it and my god what you are blessed with at the end I would go through it all again - as people describe it its a forgettable pain - as soon as you hold your child and they look up at you.....aw going all teary eyed!
anyway I had the birthing pool, gas and air, both AMAZING! I did try the birthing ball but i was due to throw it at my husband so it had to be removed from my clutches! I then had to have an epidural as my little girl was back to back and 'not for turning'! the epidural was a blessing to me as I have a very low pain thresh hold - yes im the one that writhes about in agony after stubbing my toe - and I would not hesitate at having one again!
I think every birth is entirely different - a woman i know said both her babies 'shot out like a cork from a bottle' and she was sitting up doing her mascara in the hospital bed!! I wish you all the very best of luck and will leave you with the fact you can do it and you will be a fantastic mummy!!

Hi Iv got 3 girls born within 3 yrs and all born in the same week in November,

1st was the easiest 9lb8oz
On all fours, she was op (back to back) with no pain relief or gas & air. I was so determined I didn't need it, you need to be head strong and not panic,

2nd 9lb8oz labouring was fine but the last bit was so hard, had pethadine and gas & air, she was also op but turned just before delivery

3rd 6lb 9oz, waters went but labour didn't start so was put on the drip and that makes your body contract so the labouring was hard but pushing was easier, had diamorphine and gas&air

Every birth is different all pain relief had pros and cons
Pethadine makes baby sleepy
More often than not an Epidural ends up in forceps delivery or section

The list could go on

Good luck it's the best experience ever

Hi I've got 5 kids and used a bit of gas for the first one only.

I recommend chewing ice chips- keeps you hydrated, use a nice lip balm to stop cracked/chapped lips and use a hot shower or bath (if available) as often as you need.

Dont stress yourself out, if you need pain Relief just use it. As my gf says no man ever goes to have his prostate removed without drugs! Lol

Good luck :)

I have 4 children gas and air is my favourite was so upset when I could not have last time as I had to have a c sectionHave u done birth classes have a happy plan labour is an awesome amazing experience but be prepared

I don't have any kids but my best friend who is a massive pain wuss (seriously I thought she was going to faint when we had tattoos together) had no pain relief except for a paracetamol.

That wasn't her choice, it just moved along too quickly for her to have any pain relief so it was tough luck. She got through it!

Had my little girl July just gone (1st baby) had 15 hour active labour in the hospital, used my tens machine and relaxing music right from the start, brilliant for keeping me relaxed!

At the hospital I had a half dose of pethadine, I didn't like it, it just completely knocked me out but I guess a few hours out of it maybe did help???i was stuck on the bed the whole time due to risk factors so had I been able to move around I think my labour would have been much quicker and easier.

But long story short I mainly used tens and gas and air was a great labour and wouldn't hesitate to have another baby this way! I ended up with ventouse as she got stuck.

Good luck just keep relaxed and you'll do fab best thing in the world having your baby handed to you.xxxx

Oh wow thank you everyone for replying with your experiences, i didn't expect so many! It's calmed me down a lot reading through everyone's experiences of labour. I think ill take most of your advices and wait until the time comes, I'll start off with just gas and air, then see where i go from there! Defiantly going to have an epidural as a back up though if I can!
8 weeks left now I'm so excited and nervous! I hope everything goes well for those of you who are also expecting and congratulations!

Oh also when did you all have your ante-natal classes and did you find them helpful for the first baby? Mine are booked for when I'm 38 weeks! (Not too happy about the fact they're so late on incase my little monkey decides to make his appearance early!) x

Ahhh congratulations!!
Defo keep an open mind, this is what we as women are meant to do - push babies out!
It's mind over matter.

I've got a 3 year old and had a text book birth.
Waters went 630am, contractions started at around lunchtime, stayed at home till about 330.
Went to hospital, got in the birthing pool at 4pm. What a dream that was.
Gave birth at 5.10pm.
Just gas and air.
No stitches!

I'm now pregnant with my second and due in June.
I'm slightly apprehensive that its not going to go as smoothly, but fingers crossed.

I highly recommend a water birth, it's so peaceful and you pretty much deliver the baby on your own.

And the pain really isn't THAT bad....
I promise 😊

x x x

Congratulations! Are you thinking of having a water birth again? I haven't really done much thought on having a water birth, I've noticed a few people recommending them though which is getting me more intrigued about them :) x

I just had the gas and pethadine u did most of the work at home taking long baths and using wheat bags then went to the hospital used the gas and pethadine had him in 2 hours of being in the hospital I wa very lucky I didn't find it as bad as its made out on the tv lol

It was a million years ago, but because I had very high blood pressure with my first, which went one step further into pre-eclampsia with my second, they insisted I had epidurals both times....which was fine by me! I did have forceps with first, though.

I know it's easy to say, but whatever path your labour takes it will be nothing compared with the joy your baby brings!
All very best wishes for your future together x

Hey Congrats well I went into labour at 20 weeks went into hospital having full blown contractions.Stayed in hospital for 5 weeks was in labour for 5 weeks will contractions for 5 weeks lol I know sounds unbelievable dosnt it but it's true.I had various drugs to slow everything down which was most needed lol.I had pethadine great drug really helped having it day in day out and by the time 25 weeks hit I went down and had my gal on nothing but fresh air and moaning and groaning lol.having extremely prem children hurts ten fold more than full term yes a prem child is small but everything is still stuck to ur insides so it litterally rips ur insides out :eek: as i found out lol when they were stuffing my insides back in not very nice so my gal was born weighing half a pound bless her.

So if I can do labour and contractions for 5 weeks you can do a good few hours worth lol.good luck once it's over it's over and it's so worth it.xxx

I didn't find antenatal classes at all useful quite scaremongering so don't worry if you miss them!x

Don't stress about antenatal classes
Read up on breathing techniques it's amazing how much this help, "breath the pain away" lol

Don't stress about antenatal classes
Read up on breathing techniques it's amazing how much this help, "breath the pain away" lol

Ill make sure to read up on it! I know my mum always says the breathing techniques helped her more than the pain reliefs! lol x

With my first born I was in labour for 22 hours, I had pethadine, gas and air and an epidural. My labour was strung out as I could not feel myself pushing and my son had to be sucked out lol bless him.

With my daughter it was only 6 hours so I was too far gone for an epidural. I had pethadine and gas and air. Gas and air is lethal. I was singing the 118 118 song when they were trying to give me my epidural for my son haha and I was also sick on the nurses shoes :/ makes you very light headed but helps so much.

We are trying for our third at the moment (fingers crossed we get lucky soon) I will probably say I won't have an epidural as you have no control but on the plus side you can't feel any pain. I think it all depends on how you are feeling. I wasn't going to have an epidural with my daughter but by the time I got to hospital I was begging for one but was too late.

Relax, I had plans and they never went to plan.. Everything went out the window as soon as I started contractions.

On the note of classes, I never attended one class. Ante natal classes aren't for me really but you might like them. You get plenty of advice and help from your midwife anyway.

Good luck x x x

Latest posts

Back