Part time NVQ2 in Beauty therapy - advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollylolly

Reaction score
Hiya all

I wonder if anyone can give me some advise please.

Has anyone completed the NVQ2 in Beauty Therapy (covering beauty and nails) at college on a part time basis. If so can you confirm how much course work would need to be completed at home. i.e. 2 hours per week

My daughter is looking to do this course and has been accepted. The course is on a Saturday running from 9am-4pm. However, she is going back to 6th form at school and will be studing for 4 A levels. I am just a bit worried that she may be taking on too much.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi

It's probably best to speak directly to the course provider/ college she's doing it at as all would be different ... But
I'm presuming that if it's only one day a week she will be doing mainly the practical side of things during that time and all her formal assessments
and will be revising anatomy and physiology part of it at home,
And Then it depends on wether the exams are online tested / paper based or assignment based ...!!!

I'd definitely speak to them direct - but with that and 4 a levels she's got some work to do.

I work at a school teaching beauty NVQ L2&3 in sixth form and we normally find that the girls struggle if they do beauty and 2 other A levels ... As they are juggling so much work ... But it depends on how dedicated they are,

Hope iv helped ... Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hiya Sanilulu,

Thank you for your quick reply.

She had already done manicure, pedicure and acrylic enhancement courses, which I understand from the training academy that she attended were module courses and would go towards an NVQ2, (as well as a nail art course and a gel polish course), although I do understand that she would possibly have to re-do this part of the course. She did these courses a couple of months ago whilst she was studying for GCSE's, and managed to pass 10 (I am a really proud Mum).

She really wants this, and she found out the all the information on her own when she went on an open day at the Local college.

xx

Well she seems definitely dedicated to hard work ... Esp if shes found the course too ...
You must be a very proud mother ...

I'd say she's probably got to do the practical side of assessments 3 for each unit and the end exam for each unit...
(pass mark is 70% - and any incorrectly answered questions are then in the form of another question written or oral questioning - open book so they can be research)

I'm sure that she'll be fine but def check with college what they expect her to be doing as homework ie practising or learning theory ... Xxxx

Your daughter sounds great and full of enthusiasm! Great GCSE result!

Can you hear a 'but' coming!!! You didn't mention how long the course is which is relevant. I think people underestimate the amount of theory and practice is needed for this course. A LOT of people can get through it with the minimum amount of effort (very annoyingly) but, if she wants to take her career seriously, there is a lot of study and a lot of practicing, all of which she will need to do at home.

There is also the shock of the difference between GCSE's and A levels.

If she is determined and a hard worker I'm sure she can do it but it is a LOT of work. The quality of the teaching at the college she has found is also key but that is difficult to discover.

It is a worry being a mum isn't it!

Thank you so much Sanilula and Mum for your replies.

Mum, the course is for the period of 15 months at the Local College, but I guess that equates to probably 12 months with the holiday breaks.

I have been in the nail industry for 10 years and have run my own business for the past eight years, so she has watched me and hopefully learnt a little from me before she did her nail qualification. She has insurance and now has a handful of regular clients. She is charging half price for the first year while she gains her experience and speed.

I will support and help her 100% if she decides to go ahead with the course.

Thank you so much again
x

If she wants it, it can be done. Its good to have an academic background with a practical skill too...gives you much more choice when it comes to what you want to do.

I was finishing a degree whilst doing my level 2...its hard but it can be done.

Also from a funding perspective, its good to do things like this while the course is free for her age.

Hi, this sounds alot like me! I completed my level 2 at college whilst studying for my AS Levels (I did 3). I done an accelerated course therefore I was in two nights a week, it was tough going along side school work. In my opinion I could have completed my beauty to a higher standard had i not be juggling school work. You can't commit yourself 100% to both as its just not possible unless more time is invented in the day lol of course it's possible to complete but it's to what level you want to be trained - ( I rarely got a chance to practice beauty at home due to coursework as my alevels came first!)
Good luck with whatever she decides to do :) x

Well done you... how well did you do ...
You mustv been very motivated with all that work ...
Xxxx

laurakate & gemma1995
Well done to you both.
I know my daughter will find it hard work, but if she is determined, then I'm sure she will succeed, just as you have both done
Thank you to everyone who had replied. All your comments have helped a lot.
x

Latest posts

Back