Patch testing - yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preend

Reaction score
Morning,

Just reading posts on here regarding patch testing. In my training I wasn’t taught to patch test but have always as best practice but just wanted to see if everyone did?

Thanks
X

Yes you should definitely patch test 48 hrs no less than 24 hrs

I was never taught to patch test x

You can void your insurance if you don't patch test X

I think she is talking about tanning :) I only do it if they have overly sensitive skin x

Oh thank goodness, I thought tinting too! Apologies [emoji15]

I was taught to patch test if it was the first time using tanning products or if they had a reaction before

I wasn't taught to either [emoji52] but I've recently started to out if paranoia if hurting someone or getting into trouble.

I don't do many tans, but I know if I had to patch test every client it would reduce the amount drastically.
If I booked for a tan and had to have a patch test I'd just leave it. If I had particularly sensitive skin or a known reaction then I'd be sensible enough to want to have one.
I've only had 2 clients that said they had very sensitive skin and when I asked them to pop in for a patch test neither did [emoji20]

Ah ok, I was never taught to patch test either, the way I look at it is, if a client has severe eczema or sensitive skin, allergies etc, this would be covered in the consultation, besides these clients would not be unlikely to book a tan in the first place. Also the majority of my clients that book for a spray tan have used fake tan themselves at home. Finally spray tans are water based anyway so there's not much to be allergic too if that makes sense! X

Ahhhh tanning so sorry I was thinking tinting too

I was taught to patch test on my course, although I had a 121 course with my friend as my model and she had not been asked to have a patch test before the course day!
I do it as I've had 2 sprays before, not been invited for a patch test and not asked if I have sensitive skin (which I don't) but I did react to the tan and my legs were so itchy it drive me crazy!!
So I know how it feels to react!
Anyone who enquires about a tan with me are all more than happy to have a test. X

Latest posts

Back