Paying for a stall at an indulgence evening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamosa

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for your advice here.

I've done indulgence evenings at events like schools etc in the past where I've not been asked to pay for a stand - just donate some goodies for a raffle or give the treatments at a discount.

I have been asked if I would like to do an evening where they want me to pay for a stall, do the treatments at a discount AND donate a product.

Am I being a bit mean or does this sound a bit of con?

I have never done one that I didn't have to pay for!

Normally £15-£20 for the table AND a raffle prize.

I don't normally discount treatments though. Normally do shape and polish for £8.

Hths

The idea of paying for a table is that it's mean't to go towards promoting the evening.
I always discount treatments on the night.

I've done two in Kent so far and have another lined up to do shortly and all I have had to pay for the table between £10/20, donate a raffle prize and offer taster treatments at discounted prices and one was even the cost of the treatments aswell was donated to a national charity so no profit other than what I could sell on the night. I guess to be honest its about promotion and advertising really isn't it. I personally did not find the school type events brought me much custom at all, it was just mums roped into buying a ticket for a school fund raising event that they felt they had to go to and turning up for a laugh with a free glass of wine and nibbles, but I do know others who have done really well at them.

The norm round here is to pay £7-15 for your stand plus a raffle prize. At some events they also want 10% of your takings. Mini treatments are usually charged at £5.

I usually go along with an employee so by the time I've paid for my stand & then wages I just about break even. However, these events, for me anyway, are not really about making money on the night. I have a good system going that generates many new clients from it so in the end I make quite a bit out of doing them :green:

I usually go along with an employee so by the time I've paid for my stand & then wages I just about break even. However, these events, for me anyway, are not really about making money on the night. I have a good system going that generates many new clients from it so in the end I make quite a bit out of doing them :green:

I would love to know how you generate lots of clients from these type of evenings. I generally tend to get Mum's, who have never had a manicure in their life, wanting a shape and polish and then I will never see them again! Hence why I don't discount very much as I need to earn money on the night to make it worthwhile.

I was asked yesterday to attend a school ladies inulgence evening in May. Great, I thought, until I read the details. It's £20 for the table fee, plus a donated spray tan voucher as a raffle prize, AND I was expected to work for free, donating all my income from the evening.

If it had been my own children's school I might've more than considered it, but to be honest it's at a school that's slightly outside my ususal mobile area, so I've said I'm sorry but I can't work at quite a big loss for a whole Thursday evening.

I'm working at another indulgence evening next week where the table fee is only £10 and whilst I'm offering discounted spray tans on the evening, at least I'll get to earn some decent money.

xx

Thanks for all your replies. I am in the camp where I don't tend to make much money at these events esp if I do Indian Head Massage or mini facials. I always hand out my bus. cards and when I donate a gift for the raffle I often put in a voucher for a treatment. To date, no one has come back to me for a treatment.

As I don't make much money for the school ones I do, I feel that if I had to pay for the stall on top of this it wouldn't be a good business opportunity. I don't mind donating to charity but I think on this occasion, I will not take them up on the offer.

Thanks again though.

I always discount treatments on the night too as they are usually for charity events and most people to come for the bargains! I pay for the stall usually 10-15 pounds and also donate a gift voucher into the raffle!
Hths x

I was asked yesterday to attend a school ladies inulgence evening in May. Great, I thought, until I read the details. It's £20 for the table fee, plus a donated spray tan voucher as a raffle prize, AND I was expected to work for free, donating all my income from the evening.

xx

Now to me, SunSpray, that is just taking the mickey. I'm surprised they got any takers for the evening. It's all very well doing stuff for Charity (and believe me I do) but in my book charity also begins at home.

Latest posts

Back