Paying for own training expenses without wages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwood

Reaction score
So I've been working in this salon for a while there have been a few little hiccups with holiday, wages etc...
Recently I was asked of I would like to update my Dermalogica training to which I said yes it's 3 days worth I just been told I won't get paid for these days 2 of them are my normal days off and after asking how im getting there if im staying over night as its about 55 miles away they have told me they wont be paying anything towards it. Is this normal and fair these days

If the salon demands you do it then they are responsible, if it's your choice then it's really up to u, maybe she got around it by just letting you know about it and you wanting to do it "off your own back"
If you can't afford to do the training then tell her you can't, if she demands you do it then it is really her responsability to finance it xoxo

Hi,
If you are employed by the salon you should be paid for training plus travel expenses.
Or at least that is what will happen when my therapist goes on training. It is in her contract that any expenses and training paid out by me will be refunded or deducted from final wages if she leaves within a certain amount of time.
Have you got a contract it should say in there about training costs and pay.
Be interesting to see what other employers do ?
Let us know what happens.
JoJo x

Hi unfortunately I don't have a contract I would be happy to sign one I've even asked for one but had no luck I'm employed...she's also they have also just told us that we can't have holiday unless the other therapist can come in is that aloud? Thank you

Contact ACAS, they will give you the correct independent advice. HTH

Is it right you can only have holiday if there is someone else to cover? Well... yes... That's pretty much normal business process. That's why you need to give enough notice of holidays :)

Even in large companies you need to have sufficient cover - when I ran a technical support team I needed to make sure that if one person who covered say French customers wanted a holiday then the others had to be there - so it couldn't clash with any pre-arranged training etc and it would be blocked for another else speaking french to have holiday. What she is asking for this is not unreasonable from what you say.

The training however is - if you are going to do training for the benefit of the business then it's up to the business to pay for it and your expenses - if not then tell her thanks but no thanks, you'll carry on as you are ta muchly. If it's training YOU want that won't benefit the business or she hasn't said she needs you to do then the onus would be on you to pay for it... if that makes sense :)

Thanks I gave her my holiday days in April I've asked again on numerous occasions she just says she do it later I've text her 6 times since April still no luck I needed holiday through school holidays so I've saved it till now she agreed some of it but not all yet my holiday ends 31 st August so I will end up losing... Also both myself and the other therapist work part time she works mainly from home and never agreed to cover any extra days in that case she won't ever be able to cover our holidays... We work in a hair salon my boss is only hair trained... Will tell her tomorrow that I won't be going on training :(

Firstly you should be given a contract of employment after 2 months.

Secondly unfortunately employers do not have to pay a wage whilst you do your training nor expenses. I think this is an absolute outrage though and have indeed been through this myself with an ex employer( for want of a better word:evil:

Everyone is entitled to holiday pay. So if for example she never finds anyone to cover you that doesn't mean you cannot have your allocation of holiday entitlement. However it's standard to get cover whilst you take your holiday, she simply cant tell you she has no cover and therefor you cant have your legal entitlement of holiday.hth's a little.

As mentioned contact ACAS for advice if needed, they really are very helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you will chat to her tomorrow and let you no what happens

She *should* finance it.

If she absolutely refuses to, if it were me I would pay for the training if I could because I would see it as an opportunity to improve myself for my own benefit. If you don't want to pay out then simply say that you don't have the money to do it so it's not an option andlet her take it from there.

Have just told her I won't be able to go as I can't afford to and if I had known that I would be paying I never would of agreed to go she was happy I asked to cancel my space so someone else could have it... She's now saying there is a cancellation fee which I have to pay... What do I do help ):

Frankly? Start looking for a new job!

Personally I'm not afraid to make my view clear so what I'd do might not suit you :)

I'd inform her that she did not make clear that this training was to be paid for by you when you agreed you would do it. You were never shown any of the terms and conditions for the booking and you will not be paying any cancellation fee that she incurs as a result.

But that's me :)

How long have you been working for her? Tell her you have nothing in writing because you don't have a contract therefor she can't change the rules as she goes along. This is why we have contracts. Plus she is not allowed to deduct monies. Contact ACAS. They will give you advice. Good luck.:hug:

Latest posts

Back