Paying rent to work in a cold room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbert

Reaction score
I started renting a beauty trt room last year when I got my Caci machine. The salon owner herself had only just recently started the business so was being quite cautious about the heating etc.
But even with the radiator in my trt room being on full - it doesn't provide enough warmth in order to give the client the relaxation when lying on the couch having a massage.
The owner is now reluctant for me to use my extra heater which is a case of having to really. Lots of people have said to me how cold the Salon is. But when I speak to her, she says that her clients say it's fine?
Now I do work upstairs where no-one else does so it's always colder up there anyway. But surely I'm not being unreasonable being concerned about this?
Because at the end of the day. If the room isn't warm then how can anyone possible relax and enjoy a treatment - grrrr! X

I started renting a beauty trt room last year when I got my Caci machine. The salon owner herself had only just recently started the business so was being quite cautious about the heating etc.
But even with the radiator in my trt room being on full - it doesn't provide enough warmth in order to give the client the relaxation when lying on the couch having a massage.
The owner is now reluctant for me to use my extra heater which is a case of having to really. Lots of people have said to me how cold the Salon is. But when I speak to her, she says that her clients say it's fine?
Now I do work upstairs where no-one else does so it's always colder up there anyway. But surely I'm not being unreasonable being concerned about this?
Because at the end of the day. If the room isn't warm then how can anyone possible relax and enjoy a treatment - grrrr! X

You need to speak to her about it again and tell her your clients are mentioning it. In the mean time get a heated blanket for the treatment couch, clients love this and it's a cheap form of heating.

Offer her a treatment to see!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The salon I rented for a week (long story lol) was always freezing and had no proper hot water. It was really uncomfortable in there, sitting at the nails desk was an arctic experience to say the least.
I like a previous posters idea of using an electric blanket for your clients this will help them be more comfortable but in the mean time perhaps have the owner come up to your room and see for herself. There is nothing worse than working somewhere and being constantly cold.

It is not in the slightest bit unreasonable to use an electric heater for extra warmth whilst giving a treatment if the room is cold.

As we all know, there is nothing worse than being cold when you're trying to enjoy a treatment, especially massage. As a client, it would put me off going back if I was cold, even if everything else was very good.

I would consider finding somewhere else to rent if she has a problem with it...what a tight a@se!!

Use an electric blanket on the beauty bed. Will help a lot.

Groupon regularly do heated blanket deals I bought one off of there and It is still working 2 years on :)

What about getting an oil heater, they are really cheap to run

Will the owner know you have had a heater on?
There is nothing worse than being cold. Our bills are astronomical but I really want to keep my therapists happy. When they told me they struggle to get the rooms warm I went straight out and bought another heater. The rent goes a lot further in the summer so in the winter I just have to stuck it up!

Vic x

Surely having the heating on is part of your right as you are effectively a paying tenant! Surely the lady you are renting the room from would've taken heating into account when working out your rent!? I would get a thermometer & see what temp it actually is in your room! Don't forget there is a legal minimum working temp, which I think is 16•C & studies have shown anything below 12•C for a prolonged period,& a body will start to show the first signs of hyperthermia!! Surely she would rather pay a little more for heating than have a cold, empty room with no therapist in because none of the clients want to come back!? It doesn't sound like she is looking at the big picture at all & what it could mean to her business!

Thanks Fluffy.
I shall take a thermometer to see what the temp is out of interest.
Yes one of the things listed in the contract is to provide heating, electric, water etc. Thats another problem - she doesn't have any running warm water - it's cold!
No good for facials really.
I'm actually going to use it to try and get out of the contract early. As it's not busy enough to cover the rent and I'm going to keep mobile instead. Xx

How much rent do you pay? If you have a good deal you could offer a few extra £'s a month towards heating your room?

Moving out sounds like a sensible option if there's no hot water and a cold room. You're not getting the facilities that you were promised as part of your rental agreement.

Even with an electric blanket, clients still have to get dressed/undressed and it would certainly put me off.

Isn't hot water a legal requirement?

I own a tanning salon and our beautician rents the beauty room from us. We don't have any heating as once clients start using the beds it warms the place up and by the end of the day it is boiling. Our beautician always used to say how cold it was so I bought her a heated blanket and a massive fur blanket for the couch and the customers love it. I don't even think it's cold in the salon but some people are just always cold, even if its 20 degrees outside lol. Definitely have a heated blanket and speak to her again, if your rent is quite cheap maybe suggest that you'll pay and extra £3 pw or something towards your heater lol shame she is being difficult.

Ask your clients to complain to the salon owner!

We r just renovating a building for my new salon, the law is a room must be 15 c in order to work in it.
Stop your rent until it's sorted.

Just say if you don't make the room workable the I'll with hold my rent or allow me to put a heater in at your expense.

Things like this reflect the rent you'll pay.

If the rents cheap, then there's a reason. ( not getting at you xxxx)

Will the owner know you have had a heater on?
There is nothing worse than being cold. Our bills are astronomical but I really want to keep my therapists happy. When they told me they struggle to get the rooms warm I went straight out and bought another heater. The rent goes a lot further in the summer so in the winter I just have to stuck it up!

Vic x

Spot on, what's a £50 heater compared to a couple of months lost rent because it's too cold.

She asked me yesterday to not use the heater because she will have higher bills. I told her I wasn't happy about that as I can't have my clients cold. I went out and bought a thermometer and returning to the room today, with it set on full - the temp is 11oC - very cold! I will definatley be having words today about that. Still no warm water either!

She asked me yesterday to not use the heater because she will have higher bills. I told her I wasn't happy about that as I can't have my clients cold. I went out and bought a thermometer and returning to the room today, with it set on full - the temp is 11oC - very cold! I will definatley be having words today about that. Still no warm water either!

Tuff sh1t the bills will be higher!

TBH, if you are paying very little rent, then yes you should contribute to the higher bills.

Personally, I'd be moving out asap

Latest posts

Back