Paying sick pay, small hair salon - Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dariahall

Reaction score
Hi my friend owns a small village salon with 3 members of staff only two are now working due to one going on holiday and getting p%ssed up and jumping off a wall and breaking both heels.

The salon barely can afford 3 wages at a push, my friend is now been paying sick pay out of her own pocket for the past 12 weeks to the girl off sick - SSP 87.55 per week .

The girl just been told off the DR she can now drive and also has been seen out getting pi$sed up

She has also spoke to the girl and it seems she not that much of a hurry to return, and can tell she wont come back to the salon after paying 28 weeks sick pay...

Any advice I could pass on please..

I'm confused. My husband gets paid 2 days sick and that's it!

I'm fairly sure she doesn't have to pay this!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Tell your friend to ring ACAS , they will give her free advice,and guide her in the right direction. Without evidence there is not a lot she could do, maybe try looking at her f/b twitter accounts , for any pics etc. If she can drive, then she can walk,and if she can walk, she can stand. So call her in for a return to work interview, i would maybe suggest part time hours to start, with the aid of a cutting stool perhaps, and plenty of breaks between clients. x

What does her fit for work note say?

Tell your friend to ring ACAS , they will give her free advice,and guide her in the right direction. Without evidence there is not a lot she could do, maybe try looking at her f/b twitter accounts , for any pics etc. If she can drive, then she can walk,and if she can walk, she can stand. So call her in for a return to work interview, i would maybe suggest part time hours to start, with the aid of a cutting stool perhaps, and plenty of breaks between clients. x

Hi Libby

How can you call a fit for work interview if her Dr told her not to go back to work?

Can she legally move her from Full time to Part time?

Thank so much

Even with a sick note, she must still attend a review with her employer if asked. Has for cutting her hours while on the sick, i can not advise, like i said before ring ACAS they will advise for free. x

just a update

The girl today was offered a part time job sitting behind reception desk off her feet.. she said NO WAY you have to pay me 28 weeks first lol

I would tell her to take the job as if she doesn't she may not have a job to come back to and she won't get her 28 weeks due to the company going bust!

Some employees can be so selfish, I understand some people get genuinely sick but sounds like she's taking the piss!

Of her fit for work note says 28 weeks she is legally entitled to this

You can't alter the hours somebody work as a result of them being off sick it's discriminating against them for being unable to work

However you can ask them to attend fit for work interviews reviewing there progress. Failure to attend could be taken to disciplinary action but must be treat very carefully and follow all ACAS guidelines consulting with them at all times to avoid a tribunal as she sounds the sort of person to go in for unfair dismissal or constructive dismissal of she chose to leave after being forced to cut hours. Ring ACAS ask for advice, refer to any signed contracts

She is entitled to a maximum of 28 weeks SSP but what does her doctors note say

Unfortunatly this has to be paid and you can't get out of it as long as she has a sick note from doctor, you may have to get a business loan or extend an overdraft to pay, it's not unusual for a business to operate with the bank balance in the red especially at times like this.

This is a difficult thing now having to fund ssp ourselves but we are compensated to a certain degree I believe by the fact that business of that size shouldn't be paying employers Ni contributions anymore so check if they are still paying them and make a claim if they are . Doesn't cover it all but it helps . The fact that you have proof that she is out and about partying should be followed up but Acas would be best to speak to .
I think after a while you can request something from her doc explaining why she is still being signed off but I am not 100% sure of that .
As others have said its a stupid move on her part as you may not be able to afford to take her back .

I am not sure what way the rules are in the Uk, they seem to be a bit different than Ireland. Can you request that she attends an Independent Doctor? I just wonder is the Doctor she is attending at the moment a friend/relation?

Latest posts

Back