paying staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicjill

Reaction score
I am sending my assistant to be trained in l&p shortly. She will be helping me out mainly with repairs, backfills, etc when I'm away & will still be an employee rather than becoming self-employed. I will be paying for all her training & products so I am wondering what I should be paying her? She will still be mostly working reception so I thought I should keep her hourly rate the same but pay her a % of any nail treatments she performs, what do you guys think? If so, what % do you think is suitable?

I was offered 50% of all nail treatments i did - which I thought was very reasonable!

I think you you would be better off just sticking to employing her and not do the percentage thing. This is because it costs you to invest in this training and you are a business and need to recoup this. I have decided that when i pay for their training then i have an agreement made that if they leave within the next 24 months then the training fees have to be paid back the salon. I am aware that I probably won't get this but the staff need to know that we invest alot of time and money into their future. It may sound harsh but we are a business not a benefits office. When you think she has had enough practice I would offer her self employment with percentage, and employ a part timer for the reception job she was doing previously. Hope that wasn't too long and boring for you. Zoe.

Hi Zoe

I have had a clause the same put into my staff's contracts they pay it back on a sliding scale.

The only sticking point is making sure you put in that they agree for any monies owed to be taken from their final salary funds allowing.

i have unfortunately just had to enforce this with a member of my staff who has just left. Lets say it didnt go down too well but she paid up!

Latest posts

Back