Paypal? Scamming? Surely not!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsia

Reaction score
I just read this on ebay and thought I'd show you lot.
I know alot of us use paypal, including me, thinking I am safe and covered by them, but now, I'm slightly worried....
quoted by seller.....
"This essentially relates to user ID: spousey01
This person purchased an item and a few days later once he received the item he logged a false claim via Paypal to extort a refund from them.
Paypal being there usual helpful selves immediately 'stole' the funds from my account so they can give them back to this scammer. He has no grounds for a Paypal complaint and this has now been passed to the police.
I am awaiting the outcome of Paypals final investigation but suspect it will be the same as usual - give the buyer a refund and leave the seller out of pocker for over £200.
I just want to alert people that Paypal do nothing for sellers other than take money from them. This buyer is making false claims for refunds which as we all know is fraud but the Paypal system is there for buyers - not sellers.
This is not the first time I have been ripped of by Paypal - they sent me funds from a buyer only to take them back from me 2 days later because the buyer claimed to his bank that he did not make the purchase and despite someone at his address signing for the item, Paypal did absolutley nothing except 'steal' the funds back from my account and give them back to the buyer.
SELLERS BEWARE - DO NOT TRUST THIS BUYER OR PAYPAL

DO NOT LET PAYPAL GET AWAY WITH IT - THEY DO EXACTALLY WHAT THEY WANT AND HAVE NO PROBLEM RIPPING OFF SELLERS AND BUYERS ALIKE.
A DODGY SELLER CAN SET UP A PAYPAL ACCOUNT, SELL GOODS, COLLECT THE MONEY THEN EMPTY THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND VANISH. PAYPAL WILL GIVE THE USUAL REPLY - THAT THEY WILL ATTEMPT TO RECOVER THE FUNDS BUT IF THEY ARE NOT THERE TO BE RECOVERED.....

BUYERS CAN CON SELLERS OUT OF MANY ££££s USING PAYPAL - JUST TELL THEM YOU DID NOT GET THE ITEM OR THAT IT WAS NOT AS DESCRIBED AND PAYPAL BASICALLY STEAL THE MONEY FROM THE SELLERS ACCOUNT WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.
THE SELLER HAS NO WAY TO GUARD AGAINST IT EVEN IF THEY WITHDRAW FUNDS AS SOON AS THEY GO INTO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT AS PAYPAL WILL 'HOLD' ANY PENDING WITHDRAWALS AND WILL HOLD ANY NEW FUNDS RECIEVED TO MAKE UP THE NEGATIVE AMOUNT.

PAYPAL CHARGE WAY OVER THE TOP FOR THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE AND CARE ABOUT NOTHING EXCEPT TAKING YOUR MONEY.
IF A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL DONE WHAT PAYPAL DOES ON A DAILY BASIS THEY WOULD BE SERVING SERIOUS JAIL TIME.
PAYPAL PROCEEDURES ARE SERIOUSLY DODGY AND FAVOUR ONLY PAYPAL.
PAYPAL ARE HOWEVER REGULATED BY THE 'FSA' AND I URGE EVERONE WHO HAS BEEN RIPPED OFF BY PAYPAL TO COMPLAIN TO THE FSA - THE FSA WEBSITE HAS PLENTY OF CONTACT DETAILS - EMAIL ADDRESS, POSTAL ADDRESS AND FAX NUMBERS. IF THE FSA GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS THEN THEY SHOULD LOOK INTO WHAT PAYPAL ARE UPTO IN CLOSER DETAIL.
BE SURE TO KEEP COMPLAINTS FACTUAL AND INCLUDE THIS - PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.
LETS STOP PAYPAL SPOILING EBAY.
EBAY WILL NOT ALLOW WESTERN UNION BECAUSE IT IS SCAMMER HEAVEN BUT PAYPAL IS THE ONE DOING THE SCAMMING NOW AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT."
Well, after reading this I am going to be really careful.:eek:

I have never had a problem with Paypal. If I ever have needed to put in a claim (once I think) it was investigated fully and the transaction was sorted by the seller - not Paypal.

When someone lodges a dispute with Paypal, there is an investigation process that takes place, i think you are allowed 21 days to sort out issues. Paypal would never just take money back, unless the seller didn't reply to any of Paypals inquiries.

I have been on both ends of one of these inquiries and found Paypal to be a great company to deal with.

Oooh thanks for that, will be extra wary now about things, didn't realise that Paypal seem to favour the buyer over the seller! That's not fair!

If you are a seller, the most important thing to do is always keep your postage receipt, this is your proof you sent the item, therefore your protection. If you can provide a postage receipt, then it's no longer your issue, it's then the post offices problem.

If you are a seller, the most important thing to do is always keep your postage receipt, this is your proof you sent the item, therefore your protection. If you can provide a postage receipt, then it's no longer your issue, it's then the post offices problem.

Also you can now see the signature of the person that signed for it on Royal Mails website if you send it recorded.

I thought that if there is a dispute regarding paypal they just "froze" the funds not immediatley withdrew them.

I have been on both ends of one of these inquiries and found Paypal to be a great company to deal with.

Never ahd any problems with them and in fact they told me when someone tried to use my account fraudently and put th money in before i ahd realised it was gone.

I know alot of us use paypal, including me, thinking I am safe and covered by them, but now, I'm slightly worried....
quoted by seller.....

This person purchased an item and a few days later once he received the item he logged a false claim via Paypal to extort a refund from them.
Paypal being there usual helpful selves immediately 'stole' the funds from my account so they can give them back to this scammer. He has no grounds for a Paypal complaint and this has now been passed to the police.
I am awaiting the outcome of Paypals final investigation but suspect it will be the same as usual - give the buyer a refund and leave the seller out of pocker for over £200.
I just want to alert people that Paypal do nothing for sellers other than take money from them. This buyer is making false claims for refunds which as we all know is fraud but the Paypal system is there for buyers - not sellers.
This is not the first time I have been ripped of by Paypal - they sent me funds from a buyer only to take them back from me 2 days later because the buyer claimed to his bank that he did not make the purchase and despite someone at his address signing for the item, Paypal did absolutley nothing except 'steal' the funds back from my account and give them back to the buyer.

DO NOT LET PAYPAL GET AWAY WITH IT - THEY DO EXACTALLY WHAT THEY WANT AND HAVE NO PROBLEM RIPPING OFF SELLERS AND BUYERS ALIKE.
A DODGY SELLER CAN SET UP A PAYPAL ACCOUNT, SELL GOODS, COLLECT THE MONEY THEN EMPTY THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND VANISH. PAYPAL WILL GIVE THE USUAL REPLY - THAT THEY WILL ATTEMPT TO RECOVER THE FUNDS BUT IF THEY ARE NOT THERE TO BE RECOVERED.....

BUYERS CAN CON SELLERS OUT OF MANY ££££s USING PAYPAL - JUST TELL THEM YOU DID NOT GET THE ITEM OR THAT IT WAS NOT AS DESCRIBED AND PAYPAL BASICALLY STEAL THE MONEY FROM THE SELLERS ACCOUNT WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.
THE SELLER HAS NO WAY TO GUARD AGAINST IT EVEN IF THEY WITHDRAW FUNDS AS SOON AS THEY GO INTO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT AS PAYPAL WILL 'HOLD' ANY PENDING WITHDRAWALS AND WILL HOLD ANY NEW FUNDS RECIEVED TO MAKE UP THE NEGATIVE AMOUNT.

PAYPAL CHARGE WAY OVER THE TOP FOR THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE AND CARE ABOUT NOTHING EXCEPT TAKING YOUR MONEY.
IF A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL DONE WHAT PAYPAL DOES ON A DAILY BASIS THEY WOULD BE SERVING SERIOUS JAIL TIME.
PAYPAL ARE HOWEVER REGULATED BY THE 'FSA' AND I URGE EVERONE WHO HAS BEEN RIPPED OFF BY PAYPAL TO COMPLAIN TO THE FSA - THE FSA WEBSITE HAS PLENTY OF CONTACT DETAILS - EMAIL ADDRESS, POSTAL ADDRESS AND FAX NUMBERS. IF THE FSA GET ENOUGH COMPLAINTS THEN THEY SHOULD LOOK INTO WHAT PAYPAL ARE UPTO IN CLOSER DETAIL.
BE SURE TO KEEP COMPLAINTS FACTUAL AND INCLUDE THIS - PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.
EBAY WILL NOT ALLOW WESTERN UNION BECAUSE IT IS SCAMMER HEAVEN BUT PAYPAL IS THE ONE DOING THE SCAMMING NOW AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT."

I got well and truly caught out - a woman bought a door on ebay and we specified no paypal as we want everything to go through by cheque/credit card which are the facilities we have here - easier for the accountant and as we do not deliver, it made sense.

This one woman phoned me up several times in the evening and wanted me to take credit card payment - I explained several times that this needs to be done when I am in the shop and near the machine as I don't keep a log of people's card details (she wanted me to write them down and do it when i could) - fair enough I think but not good enough.

Then she was told that the only day that we are closed up here is Tuesdays - so what does she want.... she wants the door collecting on a Tuesday. She sends a courier up when there was nobody here, who then phoned my husband (bearing in mind she still hadn't paid for door). We were having a hard time with the baby, who had Bronciolitis and there was no way I was coming up here with a sick baby for the sake of £50... so Dave just told the courier how to get into the warehouse and locate the door. The courier did so. The woman knew the courier had the door.... and that was it... she stopped answering her phone... and emails and that was it!! The cheeky cow thought she had the door and no longer intended to pay.... I was furious. I rang the courier and told him he better bloody well keep hold of the door otherwise I'd be chasing him too... which he agreed to do.

When the customer phoned the courier demanding to know why she didn't get the door... he replied that we had contacted him because she didn't pay - then she sent the money via paypal which we do not accept, so the courier would release the door.... anyways, then she contacted paypal demanding the money back... and I COULDN'T PROVIDE POSTAGE DETAILS BECAUSE IT WAS HER COURIER.... so, PayPal gave her money back and we still haven't got the door back and I owe PayPal but they're not getting a bloody penny out of me!!!

So.. SELLERS and BUYERS beware.. read all the small print!

When the customer phoned the courier demanding to know why she didn't get the door... he replied that we had contacted him because she didn't pay - then she sent the money via paypal which we do not accept, so the courier would release the door.... anyways, then she contacted paypal demanding the money back... and I COULDN'T PROVIDE POSTAGE DETAILS BECAUSE IT WAS HER COURIER.... so, PayPal gave her money back and we still haven't got the door back and I owe PayPal but they're not getting a bloody penny out of me!!!

How can you owe paypal if you don't have an account with them and can presumably show them that your auctions don't list Paypal as a payment method? She must have given them the email address you have for your auctions but if that wasn't registered as a Paypal account where did the money go to? I'm completely confused :lol:

Can you provide the URL or link associated with this, I can't imagine ebay having this on their site, i will stand corrected though. There are many baseless Paypal haters out there. There's even a website dedicated to them.

Can you provide the URL or link associated with this, I can't imagine ebay having this on their site, i will stand corrected though. There are many baseless Paypal haters out there. There's even a website dedicated to them.
have sent it to your message inbox hun xx :hug:

I got well and truly caught out - a woman bought a door on ebay and we specified no paypal as we want everything to go through by cheque/credit card which are the facilities we have here - easier for the accountant and as we do not deliver, it made sense.

This one woman phoned me up several times in the evening and wanted me to take credit card payment - I explained several times that this needs to be done when I am in the shop and near the machine as I don't keep a log of people's card details (she wanted me to write them down and do it when i could) - fair enough I think but not good enough.

Then she was told that the only day that we are closed up here is Tuesdays - so what does she want.... she wants the door collecting on a Tuesday. She sends a courier up when there was nobody here, who then phoned my husband (bearing in mind she still hadn't paid for door). We were having a hard time with the baby, who had Bronciolitis and there was no way I was coming up here with a sick baby for the sake of £50... so Dave just told the courier how to get into the warehouse and locate the door. The courier did so. The woman knew the courier had the door.... and that was it... she stopped answering her phone... and emails and that was it!! The cheeky cow thought she had the door and no longer intended to pay.... I was furious. I rang the courier and told him he better bloody well keep hold of the door otherwise I'd be chasing him too... which he agreed to do.

Well I hope you gave her neg feedback and reported her if nothing else!!!! :irked:

I hate paypal although i do accept payments through them as its much easier than cheques but ive known of lots of cases of what tsia is talking about, myself, my mum, my sister & best friend regulary sell on ebay & have all had problems with ebay.
My sister for example sold a coat & sent it off had positive feedback as the buyer was happy & about 80 days later the buyer said they wernt happy with the coat & filed a case with paypal & were awarded there money back!!!
Ive had various probs as well as others from people i know! xx

I was reading about similar scams on ebay the other day.

The general consensus seems to be if you pay with your credit card, you have extra cover because the credit card companies consider anything you buy with their money to be theirs until you pay it off and will happily go storming in all guns blazing to retrieve either their money or their goods and will duly deliver them to you once they have been retrieved.

Just remember to keep all you paperwork (ref no's, receipts, confirmation emails etc) it will just make your case stronger.

There are people who use ebay just to take the piss and paypal seem to want to let them in some circumstances, so just make sure you cover your back when trading on ebay.

S

One of my friends is a big seller of statues on ebay and he makes a lot of money off there, anyways, he used a paypal account and paypal took £5K out of his account for "fraudulant" issues, which is pants as his items are all genuine ... not one customer had complained, just because he made alot of money through paypal the assumed it was fraudulant!!

I still think hes fighting to get the money back and this was a year ago, does not use paypal now!!

quoted by seller.....

i totally agree

paypal is solely concerned with the buyer and not the seller

i no longer sell items on ebay, as i feel i was treated most unfairly

i sold an item to someone, they sent an email to say the item had not arrived but before i could even respond they then contacted paypal and requested a refund, i wasn't happy but i was about to agree to the refund but they then left feedback to say the item had arrived.

i tried to explain the situation to paypal and all they said was they will still honour a refund, as feedback on ebay has nothing to do with them and the seller has not contacted them to cancel the refund

in short i had to refund an item that had been recieved all along

i can tell you i was not impressed, i have since closed my ebay account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back