Pedicure ideas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz24

Reaction score
hi I wondered if anyone could help me. I trained to do pedicures about a week ago and loved it (very surprising as i hate feet!). However I have a slight disability with means i have a slight lack of mobility and also a bad back. So after training for 2-3 hours sitting in those pedicure seat with the adjustable foots rests, the amount of leaning and siting with both legs on each side of the pedicure stool i was in pain! For the next few days i couldnt really walk that well and was in alot of pain.

So heres the problem, I still really would like to do pedicures as i enjoyed doing it and also as im moving to spain there will be many feet in open toes shoes to pamper! Does anyone have any ideas how i can perform the pedicures without having to bent or reach too much (another problem is i'm only 5ft so things are far away from me)? I'm thinking particularly the full leg and foot massage.

Also it's important that my clients are comfortable and i dont end up with their foot in my unmentionables! (Ouch! :eek: ). I had thought about buying a blow up cube or something that i can bring nearer to me. This would be cheap and also handy for if i do mobile, would anyone know where i could get something like that?

Also is it good ettiquette for a tech to ask someone to fill and carry a bath spa for me and refill with clean water during the pedicure?I dont really want water going all over a clients floor!

Anyway ive gone on to long, but any suggestions how i can get over this problem would be great!

thanks!

kaz :biggrin:

I think you might get inflatable cubes in Ikea.

Rather than asking the client to fill footbath if you felt uncomfortable about this what about having the hot and cold water in jug and kettle to fill at work area? Just a thought.
I also hated feet but I get most of my clients whilst I am training for pedicures as they cannot get enough of them. I am finding this whole new career change very strange. I used to hate touching people and now cannot believe how much I am loving doing this type of work.

the kettle thing is a great idea! thanks!

I know what you mean about touching peoples feet! I had serious trouble even looking at people's feet! But since ive trained for pedicures and got stuck into it i really like it!

Its a shame the massage is causing me pain :sad: . Im ok masaging the feet but when it comes to reaching past the knee and massaging the leg and calf, i find because im short i end up reaching hurting my back!

Would it be ok (e.g supporting the client) if i rested the thigh half of the leg on a blow up cube thats in line with the client and mysef and putting one of the square foam things nail techs use, on my lap with towels to rest the foot on? Then i can put the leg when it is bended back on the cube and massage the front of the leg.Although not sure if that would still end up with me reaching when i massage the calves!

As you can see im having to think of inventive ways of doing this but struggling so if anyone can think of anything to make my life easier then id be so grateful!

Just a thought , are there many disabled nail techs about?I might be a first

:biggrin:

thanks

kaz

I've had to had a think when doing pedicures too - I've only a small room and cannot afford (space wise) to have a foot rest.

What I do is get the client to sit on the seat as normal - normal height - and I sit on a very low stool. The clients foot is placed on my lap. Because I am much lower the client doesn't have to raise her leg much either - so it's more comfortable for her and me.

I have no problem doing any of the massage movements by being so low either.

P.S I'm 5ft too but don't ask to take my height measurement to check! :biggrin:

I'll go with the lap idea then when i do my sister's pedicure on tues then! I was just worried that i wouldnt support the client's leg and feet properly and make them uncomfortable.Also i was a bit worried id embarass my clients having their feet in that position!

morning! Just one more quick question! What would be the easiest way for me to change the water in the footbath? I think i may have to ask for disposal of soapy water for clean water, unless you ca think of a way around it?

Sorry for all these questions but i really want to sort it out so i can actually do the pedicures!

kaz

just bumping this thread up to see if anyone had any ideas how to make doing a pedicure easier and more comfortable for myself and clients!? Also the foot bath issue of how i get rid of the water and change it, without spilling it on someones floor!

any ideas welcome!
kaz

Hi,

They way I was taught at college was that you don't change the water at all.

Maybe some people will think this is wrong but I still do the whole pedicure with one lot of water. The water does cool down rather quickly and if required I top up with warm water.

My tutor at college went to a salon (didn't mention what she did professionally) and had a pedicure. The therapist didn't soak the feet in water at all but washed down the feet each time she required it.

She felt it was a very good pedicure and didn't miss any soaking. Food for thought or is it foot for thought!

i was taught to soak the feet and then after the exfoliating massage to use that water to get rid of the scrub then change and soak feet again later on in the pedicure. Would there be a real need then to change the water?

kaz

I certainly don't change the water, as I mentioned before.

After the exfoliating scrub I wash the feet and dry as normal.

HTH

i was taught to put feet in spa remove rough skin, exfoliate scrub and rinse then replace with fresh soapy water and soak and rinse foot again. is that what everyone else was taught?

Latest posts

Back