People not taking me seriously about Shellac aftercare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purebeauty2785

Reaction score
I have lots of regular clients that have shellac on, most are great with thier aftercare. Although I have a few recently that think they know best.
Il explain to them the importance of coming back for proper removal, book them in. They let me know the day before that they have got them off themselves by picking at them like you would nail polish.
I feel it goes in one ear and out.
When I go to redo themfor them, thee nail plates are damaged from the pulling, and also too flexible.
Iv had to refuse to do them untill thier nail regains strength.
This is is is a general rant, but also wanted to see if anyone else has clients that do this?

Iv been trying to get the removal tubes for some time, but thier out of stock again.

You will always have this problem, not just with Shellac clients, but with nail clients in general. I have clients who look after their nails while they are wearing them, but then when it comes to having them removed they do the same as you described and just pull them off, which kind of defeats the object of following the after care advice while you're wearing them!! All you can do is educate them as much as possible during the treatment, what the client does when they leave the salon is out of your hands.

I'd stick it in their consultation form an get them to sign, if they don't follow the aftercare advice you've given them then if their shellac doesn't last or their nails become damaged then it's TOUGH! Lol. I got a brill aftercare sheet from Gigi for shellac I always give it to the client and make sure they sign to say they've revived the aftercare. As well as harping on at them xx

I'd stick it in their consultation form an get them to sign, if they don't follow the aftercare advice you've given them then if their shellac doesn't last or their nails become damaged then it's TOUGH! Lol. I got a brill aftercare sheet from Gigi for shellac I always give it to the client and make sure they sign to say they've revived the aftercare. As well as harping on at them xx

Iv already got an aftercare leaflet I give them, I just get annoyed cos they fail to see its not the shellac that's causing it, it's them.

Next time they come back to you and moan about their nails being thin and flaky you can say 'well, you chose to remove them yourself didnt you, now you see the importance of having it done properly!'. With an 'i-told-you-so' look on your face. Then smile sweetly :)
xx

The thing is, is we cannot change people's habits. We can advise, we can give both verbal and written aftercare and we can adopt the "told you so" attitude when dealing with these issues but we cannot control those who are just natural pickers and biters.

It's frustrating but as long as we're telling them what they "should" be doing then we're doing our job but if they choose to ignore it, well that's down to them.

As long as you're getting paid each time you do them then that's what counts no?
I have a client who comes regularly, she doesn't use her oil despite telling me she does, she picks and nibbles and they look awful by the time she comes back for her next appointment. But hey, I'm getting paid regularly and if she wants to essentially waste her money on coming far more often than she needs to, well, you won't hear me complaining :wink2:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:

Where can I get Shellac aftercare leaflets from??

I literally smack hands lol with a cheeky grin and in the right way you'll find the naughtiest of clients feel chastised enough to at least try!

The problem is with theses sort of clients though they eventually stop coming because the service just stops lasting because their nails end up so damaged, you then lose the money and worse they blame you to others and say shellac ruined their nails! I too find this so infuriating and feel no matter how much I educate they just ignore and many just will not use or buy solar oil!

The problem is with theses sort of clients though they eventually stop coming because the service just stops lasting because their nails end up so damaged, you then lose the money and worse they blame you to others and say shellac ruined their nails! I too find this so infuriating and feel no matter how much I educate they just ignore and many just will not use or buy solar oil!

I don't entirely agree with this. If you are giving both verbal and written aftercare and they are choosing to ignore it, then that's down to them and not you. If a client is going to blatantly ignore your advice and then declare that both the product and your ability as a technician isn't good, well then they're likely going to do that anyway IMO, you sometimes just get those people who will complain and blame others rather than themselves no matter what, it's just how they are.

People worry far too much about "reputation" and at the end of the day, if you are doing all you should be as a nail technician, ensuring you are following correct procedures and giving aftercare advice where needed, then you have nothing to worry about.

I literally smack hands lol with a cheeky grin and in the right way you'll find the naughtiest of clients feel chastised enough to at least try!

lol I've done that to clients I know well, little smack n hand and comment like "have you been picking" or similar..

I don't entirely agree with this. If you are giving both verbal and written aftercare and they are choosing to ignore it, then that's down to them and not you. If a client is going to blatantly ignore your advice and then declare that both the product and your ability as a technician isn't good, well then they're likely going to do that anyway IMO, you sometimes just get those people who will complain and blame others rather than themselves no matter what, it's just how they are.

People worry far too much about "reputation" and at the end of the day, if you are doing all you should be as a nail technician, ensuring you are following correct procedures and giving aftercare advice where needed, then you have nothing to worry about.
Planky1 this may well be the case but but I do worry about my reputation and more so the reputation of the product when clients slight it as we are not there to defend ourselves and give them the facts!

Could you not up your price a little so it includes removal? Just a thought x x x

Planky1 this may well be the case but but I do worry about my reputation and more so the reputation of the product when clients slight it as we are not there to defend ourselves and give them the facts!

Are you a fabulous technician? Do you follow correct procedures? Use all the correct system from start to finish? Give aftercare advice?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I tell customers on their first visit, regardless of the nail service, that I will remove the enhancement/Shellac for free. I tell then that I would rather remove them safely for free than have people pick the product off then blame the product/me for ruining their nails.
I also make sure they know that it's incorrect application and removal that damages nails and that if they choose not to use cuticle oil their service will not last as long as it should.
At the end of the day, they have to take responsibility for the care of their nails. As soon as they have paid it's up to them what they do with their nails. The best you can do is try to educate them on the proper aftercare.

You should be right to be worried about your reputation and the people who come back every 2-3 weeks for treatments are who helped you build that reputation. Unfortunately there are some people who can't admit they are wrong and choose to blame the product/tech instead. These people are not worth worrying about. :hug:

Here is a message from my friend Doug Schoon ....

Are you removing which ever UV colour coat you are using, correctly?

picture.php

From Doug Schoon ...

One of my Facebook friends asked about the cause of the white spots shown in this picture. These types of white spots are found on the surface of the nail plate and are most often caused by improper removal of UV gel nail coatings, especially UV manicures since they are removed more often.

Improper removal takes many forms. For example, when clients pick coatings from the nails... that's improper removal.
When nail coatings are scraped from the nail forcibly... that's improper removal.
When products are pried off with the implement... that's improper removal.
Actually, any time product/coating removal damages the natural nail... that's improper removal!

When coatings are forced from the nail plate this pulls the top layer of the nail surface [away] to create these white spots.

Clients don't pay nail technicians to rush or save time during the removal process, they pay the nail technician to carefully remove the product without damaging the nail plate. I will talk about this in greater detail and show some other examples in my upcoming free webinar on Oct. 15th.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/114534506
"UV gel nails: Latest Findings & Best Practices"

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back