Perm!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley865

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm doing a perm next week not done one in years - usually get young clients in my salon and they haven't been popular! But I have a lady who has dead straight long hair with a straight fringe, she wants it permed quite loosely so I'm thinking use the biggest rods I can find in the wholesaler? And she has a fringe! Shall I leave the fringe or just wind it forward to the face? Been so long since I have done a perm and especially on someone with long hair! Bit nervous about it but I will do a strand test. Anyone recommend a good perm lotion? She wants a proper curl not just body, but large curlsz any tips wud b great, thanks xx

Spiral perm with bendy rods? And I would do her fringe forwards maybe on blue or blue gray depending on length and degree of curl you want
I would do brickwork unless she has a parting

I only perm one person's hair and it's my nan

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Any colour on the hair? I'm thinking acid perm

Make sure you leave enough time to wind it and neutralizing will take longer, also if ordering make sure you have 2 boxes

Just posting as I'm thinking about it

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Thanks for ur reply! I'm thinking acid perm is the one u are right, as she does have coloured hair so will be softer on her hair. Not sure which one to go for I have heard acclaim are good? Do you know if they need to be applied different than a normal one.. X

Anyone used wella curl it (for coloured and sensitised hair) before??

Forget last comment the wella one isn't acid, so I need to apply heat to acid perms? X

Acclaim is a good perm :)

I dont know how other geeks get on with large rollers but I dont , for long hair I would at least use blue so the weight doesnt pull it out . Small sections and lots of rollers and 2 boxes of lotion if its past the shoulders .

Acclaim are great and leave the hair in fab condition :)

If the clients hair has very long layers, I'd be inclined to use an alkaline perm, as acid perms can drop excessively in very long hair.

I would also probably use alternate red and blue rollers to allow for drop.
If she wants a definite curl, go for red.

I'm also assuming that red and blue rods are the same as they were 25 years ago. :(

If you do go for the acid choice. Acclaim is very good.
You may have to mix the perm lotion with another solution before applying to the rods. Also, only apply the lotion after the hair has been wound first.
Never pre-damp hair with an acid perm lotion whilst winding. Make sure to apply plenty of lotion to each rod, trying to avoid the scalp.
The client will need to go under a warm hairdryer whilst the perm is developing.
Rinse thoroughly for at least 5 mins and make sure to blot off excess water from the rods before applying the neutralizer. Apply plenty of neutralizer on very long hair. Take rods out and apply more neutralizer and massage into all of the hair. Leave for another few mins before rinsing and conditioning.

Another tip. Whilst winding with an acid perm. You can damp down the hair as you wind, using a suitable pre-wrap treatment.

Thanks so much ladies! I did a strand test and wound on black (biggest rod) and curl was not very small and was loose as would be expected and may drop so I think will use blue ones as some of u said ? Xx

Latest posts

Back