Perming not a mandatory part

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I permed for my 2nd year but there is a "fast track" class that doesn't find it weird as well!! We do have to do finger waving and pin curling which is mandatory for my level 3 this year!!

I am finding now that more and more people are asking for them and body waves. I wonder which pen pusher decided not to make it mandatory!

Perming is an additional unit now on the NVQ city and guilds qualification. You can choose, the perming, add and remove hair (extensions) or braiding as an additional unit. Finger waving, pin curls, barrel curls, on and off base setting, root to tip, tip to root setting and various other techniques are still assessed. 3 perms are mandatory, and have to cover all the ranges, directional, brick and 9 section. This is the actual NVQ assessment unit.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_hairdressing/ST000329119(4500071225)GH14.pdf

Just finishing the VRQ2. We have spent weeks and weeks perm winding (I still hate it) and have to be assessed on two perms! We also have been assess on barrel /pin curls (finger waves are VRQ3).

I think it depends on what the course director selects as additional units.

I wish we didn't have to do perming in Australia!

I'm no big fan of perming but believe its essential when training, as we all know everything in fashion comes back round again and we will have a country full of hairdressers who cannot perm!!! I think proper blow drying is a similar thing since the birth of good straightners that's all young stylists seem to b good at!!! 😘

I'm horrified at the amount of hairdressers that won't even know where to start with a perm in 5 years time. Outwith an actual perm it also helps them to learn to control the hair and about the changes that occur in the hair structure whilst perming. It also helps them deal with curly hair... I imagine these quite a few young hairdressers that don't even know what a diffuser is! Loads of clients have naturally curly hair, if they know how to control it they can cut, style and colour to get the best results. Never guess I trained in the 80's eh 😳😃

ive just finished my 1st year and we had to do 2 assessments for perms so you still have to do it - well we did anyway :D - i actually quite like perming x

Perming is an additional unit now on the NVQ city and guilds qualification. You can choose, the perming, add and remove hair (extensions) or braiding as an additional unit. Finger waving, pin curls, barrel curls, on and off base setting, root to tip, tip to root setting and various other techniques are still assessed. 3 perms are mandatory, and have to cover all the ranges, directional, brick and 9 section. This is the actual NVQ assessment unit.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_hairdressing/ST000329119(4500071225)GH14.pdf

I know it is optional but it should be mandatory, I don't think someone can be a qualified hairstylist and not do perming.

Permimg should be part of nvq2 but I think that anyone who loves hair and wants to be competent in hairdressing, should learn anyway. I know hairdressing is always evolving and there is always new things for everyone to learn, but sometimes things come back in, so it's just as important to learn things that have been around forever as it is any new techniques.

Latest posts

Back