Persistent canceller

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have a regular client that I have been seeing since I set up over 3 years ago. Lovely lady, and every time I see her, she makes another appointment, but you can guarantee that her son will ring and say that his mum isn't up for the appointment and can I ring her in a couple of weeks to reschedule. Just recently, I ring to reschedule, make a mutually convenient appointment, then her son rings to cancel again. The amount of money this woman has cost me is untrue. I was supposed to be seeing her tomorrow at 3pm and her son has just rang me to cancel. How would you guys handle this? I'm really fed up with it. Thanks for any advice.

Mandy

If youre really busy and turning work away (which i somewhat doubt in current climate), although you may be, then she is indeed costing you money. If you are just plodding along (like most of us) and have a few spare appointments, then she isnt really costing you money is she. I have a couple of ladys who regularly cancel, sometimes dont even cancel, just dont show up. Ive put up with it so far, but now it is really bugging me. One regularly no shows for a 2 hour appt. Im going to ask her for a £10 rolling deposit next time she books. I dont want to turn them away, as its not exactly bouncing! But i need to set a precedent, after all ive got a business to run!!

Depending on how much notice I am given for cancellations I usually give two strikes, if I get two last minute cancellations or no shows from a client they go on my black list, but If they ever do make an appointment again I ask for 50% of the treatment prices to be pre paid.

I also send a reminder text two days before their appointment, if I don't get a reply in 24 hours I call them incase they have forgotten.

I would rather have paying clients that I can rely on than people taking me and my business for a ride!

HTH

Last edited:
I had a client like this, I ended up telling her to call me the day before she was ready for a treatment and I would see if I had a slot free... I never did, she stopped calling eventually, job done :)

i have a client like this too! she is always cancelling her appointment the night before or the day of. she is a new client and has NEVER made it to any appointment shes booked so far.this morning her daughter called and emailed me to let me know her mum isnt feeling well and cant make her appointment, the week before she forgot, the week she wasnt feeling well and the week before that she couldnt make it something was wrong with her daughter. at this point im just fed up and dont know how to tell her not to come back :p

I'd ask her to pay a non refundable deposit for her next appointment. It's not just the fact that she cancels but the fact that you probably stress over 'will she, won't she turn up' and arrange other things round her. It really isn't worth it.

Simple, sack her.

You are allowing her to do this to you, so only you can stop it. I cannot believe you actually call her to reschedule?

Thanks for your advice guys. Some very useful tips and advice. I had a lady ring looking for a two hour appointment which I had to turn down because I couldn't fit her in because of this woman, and then she rings and cancels (Again). And it's not the first time I've lost work because of her. I only work part time and hate letting people down but some people just take the proverbial. I'm gonna have to have words with her I think. I like the idea of telling her to ring the day before she wants a treatment and I'll see if I can fit her in. Great advice as always guys. Cheers.

well you can't really afford to lose a client even if she does mess around her appointments so maybe just say for her to give you a call when she needs something done and you'll try and fit her in. and see how that goes.

lol typing at the same time.

Lol. Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I don't want to loose her as a client. Times are tuff, but I've had enough of being messed around and not knowing if I'm coming or going. I had her booked in between clients today so I've now got to sit around waiting for my last client. Meanwhile, my baby-sitter is charging me.

I know people and the first poster is saying we're not always busy etc... Which may be true to some, but sometimes some clients can only do certain times, or get a baby sitter at x time of the day, so having someone who messes you about is taking up time a busy person is. I charge 50% on all services over £40, that way they only pay £20 on the day or half the total bill. I'm not bothered if they are new, regular or whatever, they all get the same. Also one missed or late cancel gets charged no matter what the price.
Cancelling within 48 hours is a 50% charge, and of only 2 hours before or when I get there it's a 100% charge, and I'm not bothered if I sound nasty, but I'm not bothered on the excuse they MUST pay.

I send out a letter with an invoice with 2 weeks to pay, then a reminder it's unpaid with another 2 weeks (the 2nd 2 weeks are not put down, I just say immediate. Then im not sure what I'd do but I would demand the payment via court or what I was allowed to do xoxo

i suppose it depends on where you live. that system definalty would'nt work where i'm from. they'd just say ah sod off and go somewhere else.
a small rural area, after awhile it'd be just me and my laptop.:sad:

Tell her you are introducing a new policy ; that all bookings are subject to a 50% non-refundable deposit.. She will not know that it is only applicable to her!!.

That way if she cancels you have her deposit and you can then decide if you want to retain it or give her another appoointment. Maybe she might think twice about picking up the phone and cancelling at short notice..
HTH Jack

Im in a small area, and some have said no to the deposit, but they don't get the appointment. One asked if she could give me the deposit the week after, so I said to call to see if the appointment was still available the week after. Everyone has paid up by the 2nd letter, but at the end of it, I understand some are short of penny's, but why should I have to end up with a space and no payment when it could have been filled by someone who was going to pay?
I'm not saying I had a call for that space or that it defo would have been filled, but it could have been, so why on earth should I end up being short just because they feel it's ok to book an appointment but not know of they have the money to pay for it? Xoxo

As I said on an other simular thread here on salon geek and i'm not going to sugar the pill with this one (im going to blunt, sorry:o)...

I would recommend that you ask her to prepay or pay a non refundable deposit if she wants to book with you again or you could decline to take any further bookings from her, as she is booking valuable time up that could be spent with someone who really wants a treatment doing .

Also please stop calling this woman to rebook her, as it comes across as you are desprate for her business/custom and she is taking full advantage of it and treats you and your business like trash in return!

As a business owner (self empolyed or otherwise) you sometimes have to make very hard, unpopular and sometimes selfish decisions in order for your business to survive, make a profit and grow in todays climate.

This MEANS letting go of clients that do not serve your business well (i.e. persistent cancellers) or implimenting a deposit system across the board to make sure you are not loosing out money wise if the odd cancelltion happens or both.

Either way you need to take control of the situation :)

Natalie

Latest posts

Back